Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    i have netflix and i just spoke to them and was told there will not be a webox app. I asked why and told because tp is no longer being made. So i can only watch on my tvs ipad and macs. God, this keyboard sux!
    pback likes this.
    I stream Netflix via Splashtop on my 16gb and it works flawlessly
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Or wait for the android port from Cyagenmod and then stream Netflix.
    zappcatt likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It's annoying that Netflix has chosen to abandon millions of WebOS users, when it likely wouldn't be much of an effort to to port their app to yet another Unix-based platform. But they're not a company that listens much to their customers - probably their biggest weakness.

However, there are ways to watch Netflix on your TouchPad via a PC host, such as Splashtop and PlayOn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    It's annoying that Netflix has chosen to abandon millions of WebOS users, when it likely wouldn't be much of an effort to to port their app to yet another Unix-based platform. But they're not a company that listens much to their customers - probably their biggest weakness.

However, there are ways to watch Netflix on your TouchPad via a PC host, such as Splashtop and PlayOn.
    I've tried streaming with Splashing, but my low-end PC just can't donut without lag.

It works flawlessly with Playon, except I can't fast forward. I'm fine using Playon until the Android port is ready.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Netflix should support the TouchPad.
    Lack of netflix support is disappointing but not unexpected.

Can you blame netflix? HP the manufacturer has abandoned the touchpad which most of us knew when we bought ours.

Per "How Much Did HP Lose on the TouchPad? Here's a Good Guess" analyst Shaw Wu of Sterne Agee in San Francisco, stated HPs initial order from its Taiwanese contract manufacturer, Compal, was for between 500,000 and one million units. So based on that, there's somewhere between 1/2 and a million touchpads out there and no more coming.

Give up on netflix and pick your workaround - splashtop, playon, hope for a working android port.

What's wrong with the keyboard? Mine works fine. There are valid criticisms of the keyboard, mostly lack of WebOS support for many functions users would like/expect to see usable from the keyboard. "sux" is not a valid criticism, or word for that matter.
    I already had PlayOn. Gives me Hulu on all my mobile devices as well.
    I love Netflix on my Touchpad running webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarion View Post
    I love Netflix on my Touchpad running webOS
    So you wanna tell us how? Not thru a PC I hope. I can stream Crackle movies directly on my Touchpad, no PC necessary,
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    So you wanna tell us how? Not thru a PC I hope. I can stream Crackle movies directly on my Touchpad, no PC necessary,
    Yes using splashtop. Streams great. Would be nice to have a dedicated app but there isn't but in the end I still watch Netflix on my touchpad. :-)
    netflix has very little good streaming content, for me at least I canceled my subscription when they announced the price hike since I had not found anything worthwhile to stream in more than a year (didn't realize it was so long or I would of canceled earlier) - and as for DVDs (I was on streaming+dvd plan) I seemed to rent maybe at most 2 DVDs/month on average.

I'd pay more for more content but netflix doesn't have that option.

In the past month or so I've spent at least 2 years worth of netflix subscriptions "buying" real physical content. (buying in quotes since I think I am only "licensing" it but at least have a hard copy which I can rip and store).
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Netflix would be nice on the Touchpad.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kamaru View Post
    Millions? Really?
    According to DigiTimes somewhere between 900,000 and 1.1m Touchpads were made. This compares to 8.5m Ipads sold in the last quarter alone, with total figures of between 25m and 28m sold in total. Iphone sales are much higher.

If I were Netfix I know where I would be targeting my app developers (unless a had some spare capacity)
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Also bear in mind that Netflix is a US only service so the total number of people who could benefit from this (and thus be the total market for netflixs) is a lower than the total number of touchpads that exist...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Also bear in mind that Netflix is a US only service so the total number of people who could benefit from this (and thus be the total market for netflixs) is a lower than the total number of touchpads that exist...
    they have been in Canada for a little bit over a year now they recently launched in south america and will be in the UK sometime soon
    nicoxcx and Vistaus like this.
    and Canada, Brazil, Argentina,Mexico,Chile and Colombia. Doubt there are many touchpads there but Netflix is not US only now.

Netflix have terrible streaming, I watch it via roku on my tv, it's not surprising they are not supporting webos they are barely managing to support themselves recently until content is improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamaru View Post
    Millions? Really?
    He said webOS users not touchpad users. So 1m touchpads plus all the webos phones sold could be 2m or more. Could be less. I don't know how well the phones sold.

Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    According to DigiTimes somewhere between 900,000 and 1.1m Touchpads were made. This compares to 8.5m Ipads sold in the last quarter alone, with total figures of between 25m and 28m sold in total. Iphone sales are much higher.

If I were Netfix I know where I would be targeting my app developers (unless a had some spare capacity)
    I don't know why iPads sales numbers are that relevant when netflix literally has an app for almost EVERY brand of Bluray player. I suspect the touchpad outsold at least some of the bluray players that already have a netflix app.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Well Netflix just changed their mind on the whole Qwikster/Netflix separate websites for streaming and dvd rentals.

Netflix backtracks on Qwikster, will keep DVDs and streaming under the same URL -- Engadget

Maybe they will change their view on the HP TP too.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I watch Netflix primarily via my Samsung Blu-ray player on my HDTV, connected to a reliable cable internet service with powerline ethernet. HD streaming is flawless, showing that it's probably not Netflix at fault for the problems people have on other platforms. The Samsung client is not the greatest, but at least Netflix chose to offer it, or I might not have bothered paying them $7.99 a month. Let's see, how many clients paying $7.99 per month does it take to pay for porting a couple of libraries from one version of Unix to another...?
    bhutch72 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast