Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericsc83 View Post
    He said webOS users not touchpad users. So 1m touchpads plus all the webos phones sold could be 2m or more. Could be less. I don't know how well the phones sold.

I don't know why iPads sales numbers are that relevant when netflix literally has an app for almost EVERY brand of Bluray player. I suspect the touchpad outsold at least some of the bluray players that already have a netflix app.

The only reason I mentioned Ipad was to give a sense of scale to the 1.0m Touchpads. Android devices outsell Apple products certainly in Europe so the difference in scale is even larger for Android.

I have no knowledge of how many bluray devices are sold, but the point is that they are being sold, rather than discontinued. Would Netflix develop software for a discontinued bluray player? I have no was of knowing

I was only trying to make a very simple point. The Touchpad represents a small and diminishing market for app developers.

It would be interesting to know if the forthcoming android port is acting as a disincentive to the development of commercial webos apps.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I watch Netflix primarily via my Samsung Blu-ray player on my HDTV, connected to a reliable cable internet service with powerline ethernet. HD streaming is flawless, showing that it's probably not Netflix at fault for the problems people have on other platforms. The Samsung client is not the greatest, but at least Netflix chose to offer it, or I might not have bothered paying them $7.99 a month. Let's see, how many clients paying $7.99 per month does it take to pay for porting a couple of libraries from one version of Unix to another...?
    I watch netflix through a hardwired htpc, but have never been impressed with the quality on my hdtv plus selection still leaves a lot to be desired. Blu Ray is still at the pinnacle of picture quality and sound which is why I still use blu-ray by mail/purchase.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
    Netflix should support the TouchPad.
    Netflix should do as they choose IMHO. WebOS is dead soon, why invest anything at this stage. Netflix has enough things to worry about these days.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    He said webOS users not touchpad users. So 1m touchpads plus all the webos phones sold could be 2m or more. Could be less. I don't know how well the phones sold.
    That's true, but do you really want to watch a movie on a phone? I have tried once on my iPhone and given up after a few minutes. It's ok for watching short episodes up to ten minutes, but not more - IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    The only reason I mentioned Ipad was to give a sense of scale to the 1.0m Touchpads. Android devices outsell Apple products certainly in Europe so the difference in scale is even larger for Android.
    The OS usage in Europe is not relevant as there is still no European country being served by Netflix. And if (offering the same conditions than in the US) - I'm sure that many users would join as all other alternatives are not worth even considering (at least in the german speaking countries). So, if there were a significant webOS user base in Europe supplying a port of their client would be a good return for Netflix.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Netflix should do as they choose IMHO. WebOS is dead soon, why invest anything at this stage. Netflix has enough things to worry about these days.
    I agree don't blame Netflix, blame HP for prematurely pulling the plug on webOS hardware. I've used an ipad 2 for the last week and I'm even more convinced now that HP could've given Apple a serious run for their money with better execution.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    That's true, but do you really want to watch a movie on a phone? I have tried once on my iPhone and given up after a few minutes. It's ok for watching short episodes up to ten minutes, but not more - IMO.

The OS usage in Europe is not relevant as there is still no European country being served by Netflix. And if (offering the same conditions than in the US) - I'm sure that many users would join as all other alternatives are not worth even considering (at least in the german speaking countries). So, if there were a significant webOS user base in Europe supplying a port of their client would be a good return for Netflix.
    I am trying to make a point that is not limited to Netflix. Personally I will take any commercially produced new app as a bonus. I am not expecting much.
    I don't know why iPads sales numbers are that relevant when netflix literally has an app for almost EVERY brand of Bluray player. I suspect the touchpad outsold at least some of the bluray players that already have a netflix app.
    I'm pretty sure the reason it is on every other blu-ray player is the netflix client is written with BD-J which every blu-ray player, obviously, has. Therefore it doesn't take much effort for the manufacturer to support Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenzombie View Post
    I'm pretty sure the reason it is on every other blu-ray player is the netflix client is written with BD-J which every blu-ray player, obviously, has. Therefore it doesn't take much effort for the manufacturer to support Netflix.
    You're probably right, but at the same time I don't think it would take much for Netflix to port the android app to webos.

I've also heard rumors that manufactures pay Netflix to develop an app for the bluray players. If that's true HP should've paid the standard fee to get a Netflix app when it launched the touchpad this summer.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Netflix had been working on an app for WebOS, so I feel the real question is... How close is it to beta?
    Right now HP is self-destructing and Netflix has shot themselves in the foot, so a HP/Netflix collaboration must be doomed.

BTW, I have little to no trouble with Netflix streaming and we watch it all the time on diff devices. When I want/need to watch something on my TP, I have found a lot of legal places/stuff to watch by contacting Hulu's and Netflix's partners' support. Many of the company's have been helpful. Also, Amazon streaming works well.
    your insight and commentary is so amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    your insight and commentary is so amazing.
    And then he woke up, DOH!
    I thought there were only around 100k phones manufactured and about 1.2m Touchpads (after the October run).
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    I can't believe only 100k phones were manufactured. There are 5 models: Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Veer, and Pre3. On at least 2 network standards. In more than 5 countries. So just a rough guess from that would mean that the various carriers would have had what, 1 or 2 phone(s) per store?
    Vistaus likes this.
    Amazon Prime instant video works well on the touchpad, as do their digital rentals and purchases. Poor included streaming catalog, but not much worse than netflix. Larger selection of movies for purchase
    There were over 3M webOS accounts known before the TouchPad came out ...

> 4.2M webOS accounts .. probably around 4.5M webOS devices out there...
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12