1.    #1  
    At the suggestion of the Communities developers, I am posting an email interchange we have had over the past several days regarding my critiques

The above is all Communities let me post (rest truncated) - see below this line for full content via web interface

=====================================================

At the suggestion of the Communities developers, I am posting an email interchange we have had over the past several days regarding my critiques “”too Much White Space”. With a little editing to correct typos (I have coined the phrase touchpad-os to cover that) - but content pure.

In the same interchange we discussed missing features - which I have extracted and will include in another thread - to maintain a single focus per thread..

Email interchange - myself and Communities folks - in time sequence, with earliest first.

My original email (start of it all)”

Subject:* Too Much Space, solutions suggestions

Subject says it all: beautiful, functional app -- but way, way too 'pretty' with too much white space -- takes 3-4 screens to display what would be 1 screen with the browser (PreCentral forum) -- uses too much of my time to have continue to use it.

Communities:

Sorry, I can't get what do you mean by "too much white space".

Me:

Have attached typical screenshots (not included with this post) - 3 from the web interface to the forum and 4 from your app covering the same thread piece -- in addition to the takes-4-too-much white space) to cover 3, you have not displayed the posters signature which often contains very necessary info (in the eyes of the poster) if that were included with your current styling, your app would have needed at least 5 maybe 6 pages/ screens.

What you have is beautiful, artistic -- but terribly non functional.

Some specific suggestions that would allow you to maintain the look, and address concerns expressed above.

-- Drop the 1.5 line spacing (maybe a TP limit?) everywhere!

-- Post header: drop empty lines (2 before, 1 after)

-- Quotes: drop empty lines (2-3 before, 2-3 after)

-- Post footer: reduce from 3 lines to 1

-- Enlarge full screen view to use the space wasted outside the box

**** - in landscape and portrait

**** - ditto for the 2 pane view

-- Move Quick Reply and Send to the bottom toolbar,*and make Quick Reply a button that will pop up a text box for entry across the bottom of the post view area

My take is that the UI was designed by a publish marketing persona, without having a true UI pro in the loop.* ..Thus the focus on white space, style, good looks and the lack of efficiency for the user.

Communities:

Thanks for your suggestions, but I must tell you we are very proud of our app's UI, and people has expressed us how much they like the UI as it is, and how it has changed, for the better, their ways of interacting with forums. Said that, we can't stop here, and we always look to improve the user experience.

But you're missing a few points here:

- Let's ignore for a moment the fact that we're using in the app more screen real state for showing post content than the screen captures of forum browsing you've attached (very little more, but more anyways). Full screen spacing is perfect as it is, and changing content's area text will not improve readability, but the opposite. This has been tested here, and it makes the text harder to read in landscape. The little space left in portrait view it's a styling decision, to keep alive the pagination metaphor, and continue the visual styling of the app.

- Text with 1.5 lines spacing not only improves readability, but it also frees vertical spacing to use it with inline buttons (needed to open links in Touch devices without having to zoom in the content).

- Again, footer spacing is needed to separate the content (that can be filled with active elements like links) from the post actions area, where you can reply, quote, edit, report and thank/like posts, depending on forum support.

Said this, there are improvements to make in every area of the app, and we are revisiting each one almost every day (spacing before and after quoting is one of them, but we have to deal with people usage too), so be sure we're taking into consideration your suggestions, but also the points I've expressed, in future updates.

Me:

Okay, I understand your position, and maybe some of my inputs will help guide future additions / improvements.

I totally disagree with you on the line spacing - IMHO there is not problem reading the single spaced sans-serif type used in the web based forum presentation on the Pad, and I personally have a problem with the 1.5 spacing you folks used - it is totally out of whack with everything we all read day to day - books, newspapers, web pages, etc, etc - just looks weird and has the added negative of making information take 20% roughly more vertical space and thus paging / clicking / dragging.*

I would be interested in seeing the studies that were done or the surveys taken that led you to chose 1.5 spacing. But ... you have the final say, and I don't want to come across as a "has to be right" kind of guy. (Aside: I spent over 15 years designing, measuring, and calibrating UI for computer systems from main frames to PC's - and I still think yours is the wrong choice.)

The overall look is very very beautiful (as I said before) but there is too much vertical white space - that contributes to the lack of efficiency -- my other suggested changes could be made with no sacrifice to the interface, its beauty, etc - and give heavy users back some space / clicks / drags etc.* I spend about 2 hours per day 5 - 6 days per weeks scouring the forms (for WebOS, TP, and other tech topics and well as several on motorcycles) and my use is not only consumption, but also heavy contribution - and so minimizing paging is of significant interest, thus my original and follow-up emails.

I will have to continue to use the web interfaces for their efficiency and utility, but will track change to Communities to see if it will grow on me.

Communities:

I'm always open to new ideas. Why don't you post into Communities thread at PreCentral about your concerns? I will love to make the changes if people is with you.

Please understand this is not like "it's my app and I do whatever I want with it". I want to make the UI the better UI possible, but* only you has asked me about this, and there are a few hundreds of people using the app daily.

Me:

This post and the one to follow!

*=====================================================

LET THE COMMENTS BEGIN - Chime in with your opinions. Suggestions, etc..
    Last edited by silverbackdave; 10/07/2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: to post via web interface a long post not handled by Communities
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    Do you mean "inefficient" in your title?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do you mean "inefficient" in your title?
    Yes, but cannot go back and fix myself it appears
    Dave
    <<fixed title>>
    May I ask you to check for updates? Seems you're using 1.0.0

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    May I ask you to check for updates? Seems you're using 1.0.0

Nope - using 1.0.2 --- I always check to be sure using latest version prior to being critical --

BAG
    Dave
    I though you was (because of the asterisks)

8.    #8  
    Not sure where the * came from - comments were composed on PC, emailed to myself, copy-pasted into forum using web interface --- not *'s so far --- then they appeared --- they appear to denote extra spaces in the text, spaces I put in when my tabs / indents / underscores were removed.

Dave
    Silverback... I think you need to understand that some limitations, like NOT displaying signatures are because the Actual Tapatalk plugin does Not support them.

deCorvett did not make the tapatalk plugin that every site uses. His app hooks into whatever functionality the plugin allows

As far as the spacing, I'm no engineer or programmer , but the USE of ones eyes, thankfully you don't need to be.

I like the spacing just fine, it adjusts to the screen depending on it size, and several have expressed thanks to deCorvett for when in full screen , automatically displaying their wallpaper in the unused space.. If he would have made the app "true" silkscreen, than I could issues with readability

10. jrn
    I want to support Sketch in what he says. I really love the current design with its free spaces. And also the 1.5 spacing makes reading much easier. I don't mind scrolling a little more, if the result is so nice and clean.

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Could you post some screenshots of what Communities looks like? I've already asked in the original thread, but w/o success. There are no screenshots in the app catalog either.

After what I have read from silverbackdave I'm not quite sure if Communities is for me.

Thanks
    Where are you from?

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Silverback... I think you need to understand that some limitations, like NOT displaying signatures are because the Actual Tapatalk plugin does Not support them.

deCorvett did not make the tapatalk plugin that every site uses. His app hooks into whatever functionality the plugin allows

As far as the spacing, I'm no engineer or programmer , but the USE of ones eyes, thankfully you don't need to be.

I like the spacing just fine, it adjusts to the screen depending on it size, and several have expressed thanks to deCorvett for when in full screen , automatically displaying their wallpaper in the unused space.. If he would have made the app "true" silkscreen, than I could issues with readability

Not important to my critique the technical source of the limitation -- it exists!

I also am not an engineer or technician -- and I reported what MY eyes experienced!

As the old amerind was reported to have said: 'good thing tastes differ, else everyone want my squaw'. (PS I am mostly amerind and no disrespect intended)

Last edited by silverbackdave; 10/16/2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typos aka TP-oes
    Dave