1.    #1  
    I know that there is already a 30 page thread on Splashtop that seems to serve as a repository for all things from connection to pricing issues. So...mods, if you find that there is not a need for this thread, please close and I appologize for adding clutter.

It is my hope that that this could be a thread to share user experience and settings for optimizing this great app specifically as it relates to video streaming.

I am streaming from my laptop (first gen i3 with 6gb of ram) through my wifi. I am connecting the mobile app through my gmail account with ports forwarded on my router. Speedtest shows my upload speed to be .5 to .6 mb/s. I am playing my videos on the host computer with VLC with video overlay turned off.

While the video streaming results are better than I would have thought possible, they fall short of the "buttery smooth hd playback" that some are getting. While the audio is crystal cear, I am getting "jittery" video (frame drops?). Having tried every tweak I can think of (wired connection to router, dropping resolution to 800 x 600, port forwarding) I would normally resign myself to accepting that my upload speed is the culprit and that this is just a no go for me. The thing that sticks in my craw, is that my results are identical within my home network and over the internet regardless of whether or not the file is 720p mkv or lowly 480p mp4.

Is there some paramater I am not thinking of? Is "buttery smooth" subjective?
  2.    #2  
    seriously...91 views indicates that there is some interest in the topic.
    Anyone want to chime in?
    gimmie your settings, even if they don't work so we'll st least know what doesn't work.
    Has anyone had good results with an upload stream of 500mb/s?
  3. nj
    Go to this regkey in regedit

HKCU\Software\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server

Add a dword named x264RFConst

In decimal (the default is 23) set lower values to increase quality and bandwidth and higher values to lower q and b.

Add a dword named SharpFPS

Value is the frame rate for the video stream. Default is 30, if you're streaming 24fps media try 24. Might reduce the decoding load on the TP a bit.

If you have the right kind of Nvidia card this might help, reduces the decoding load apparently.
    Optimized for GeForce : Splashtop Remote - Support

If you can't get any better results with the reg values above just delete them and everything will return to defaults.
  4.    #4  
    Whoa! This seems pretty hardcore. My better judgement tells me that I should probably not mess with my registry....

On the other hand, I rarely listen to my better judgement What's the worst that could happen?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I agree it's not buttery smooth, but it's pretty good and definitely better than Kalemsoft since you get your full video player experience.

I use KMPlayer on my PC. If the settings above actually work to make a difference, I'd surely try them. But I did buy Splashtop, so I figure they will add options in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
    I agree it's not buttery smooth, but it's pretty good and definitely better than Kalemsoft since you get your full video player experience.

I use KMPlayer on my PC. If the settings above actually work to make a difference, I'd surely try them. But I did buy Splashtop, so I figure they will add options in the future.
    I like the way you can fine tune the audio sync with KMPlayer, in real time, on the TP during playback.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ^^
    So true, I've been synching subtitles with audio for those times I have the wrong subs.

I'm thinking now this Spashtop setups just needs a different way of moving the mouse around, or maybe if Windows had a different set of mouse/touch gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
    ^^
    So true, I've been synching subtitles with audio for those times I have the wrong subs.

I'm thinking now this Spashtop setups just needs a different way of moving the mouse around, or maybe if Windows had a different set of mouse/touch gestures.
    Responsiveness navigating the PC desktop and hitting the right selection from application menus is a pain. My $2.35 pen from dealextreme helps.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Does having the desktop end set to 16/24/32 bit display make any difference or does the server change that when it res-switches?

What about having VSync enabled/disabled at the desktop end? (XBMC supports toggling this in fullscreen mode, not sure about many other apps).

That $2.35 pen sounds like a good idea.
    There is a Preware tweak to increase the number of feeds for WiFi.