Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spud101
  • 1 Post By rmausser
  1.    #1  
    Someone needs to make a Google Maps app for the TouchPad. The Bing maps app is <bad>. Case in point - I was looking for the Mustafa Center in Singapore and the app kept taking me to Mustafa, Russia! ***? Also Bing maps does not show building names and such which really comes in handy.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/12/2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: language - PM sent
    make sure google services are turned on in the location services. That will help bing maps.

then go to maps.google.com and you will get reasonable map service.
    Mustafa, Russia is like Ivan, Baghdad
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    make sure google services are turned on in the location services. That will help bing maps.

then go to maps.google.com and you will get reasonable map service.
    +1

Google actually got the tablet version of Google Maps working quite well on the TouchPad.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I can't scroll the map with maps.google.com
    I would love to see a native Google Maps app with streetview for the Touchpad. I think Bing Maps is very USA-centric. All the satellite imagery for Australia is really outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    +1

Google actually got the tablet version of Google Maps working quite well on the TouchPad.
    Really???

Perhaps you haven't really used it much, but there's no scrolling, no street view, no pinch to zoom, etc. In fact, I'd actually say it barely works at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Really???

Perhaps you haven't really used it much, but there's no scrolling, no street view, no pinch to zoom, etc. In fact, I'd actually say it barely works at all.
    +1
    I noticed no difference after turning on google services either.

Would a different user agent ID make a difference, or is this issue on the TP side?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Can the webos app BFGMaps I had on my Pre- run on the touchpad? Maybe with some tweeking it can be used full screen?

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...efreak.bfgmaps
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Can the webos app BFGMaps I had on my Pre- run on the touchpad? Maybe with some tweeking it can be used full screen?

DONE!

Works in fullscreen.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toasters likes this.
    I would gladly give up 2gb of space for maps and a real gps app such as tomtom or garmin. Anyone want to give it a shot to make a emulator to run tomtom navigator v7.450.9028 and usa/can 825.2159 for windows phones on our webos devices? I have a copy of this on my hdd that I had for my samsung saga a while back. I also have a copy of the windows garmin PC app that was decent on my netbook.. but man would it be sweet on my touchpad I'm very confused why someone doesn't publish this anyway.. easy million in revenue iMO. With over a million users and even at a 30-50 just software price tag say 70-99 with a good external bt gps included it would do VERY well.

on the look out for several other appz/updates as well..

App wish list:
    1)Netflix app
    2)Sirius app
    3)True GPS

Update wish list:
    1)Bypass to get on live/hotmail.com (access to SkyDrive would be 100x better than quick office or smart office) can already sync email and calendar just can't get to skydrive? maybe work around into synergy as well? umm way cool!
    2)Codec pack/update for stock media player (play all video/sound types)
    3)Account switcher for tablet facebook app
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/05/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    DONE!

Works in fullscreen.

Enjoy!
    Very cool!

Thanks.

How do you zoom in on a specific location or scroll the map? It locks on my current location and allows me to zoom in and out of that location. Double tapping on another location doesn't seem to do it.
    Why can't I find 'BFG Maps' in the app catalog (US) on my Pre3?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It's not enabled for it.

See the lower left corner for supported models.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    I would gladly give up 2gb of space for maps and a real gps app such as tomtom or garmin. Anyone want to give it a shot to make a emulator to run tomtom navigator v7.450.9028 and usa/can 825.2159 for windows phones on our webos devices? I have a copy of this on my hdd that I had for my samsung saga a while back. I also have a copy of the windows garmin PC app that was decent on my netbook.. but man would it be sweet on my touchpad I'm very confused why someone doesn't publish this anyway.. easy million in revenue iMO. With over a million users and even at a 30-50 just software price tag say 70-99 with a good external bt gps included it would do VERY well.
    Most people would be reluctant to fork out for an external GPS receiver AND pay for the GPS software, AND pay for a humongous dash mount in lieu of just buying a dedicated GPS device.

The list of people happy to buy all of these separate components and actually use it would be relatively small I would've thought.

Developing it for WebOS in general as opposed to TouchPad-specific might be another story.
    you can probably install the hd patched one that people are talking about over in the touchpad forum

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I've been toying around with the idea of making a Google Maps app for the touchpad. Would you guys pay for it if I did it? And if so, what would you expect it to be (price wise)
    This would be my first "real" app, so suggestions on features/etc would be helpful
    Send me a PM if you want/need for any specific feature (or if you want to make sure I see it)
    I would love to make an "Official Google Maps App" for the Touchpad. What do you guys say?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right