Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Missed the whole splashtop snafu since I was away, both the various prices and also the free one in the grab bag. If anyone has a spare code for the Touchpad that they don't know what to do with, be glad to use it. Wondering also if it is secure or if I should stick to logmein for secure file usage and transfer.
    tbh ill let them keep my cash if ittl encourage them to support future updates.
    If your phone company did what Splashtop did, would you be so willing to let them keep your money?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    If your phone company did what Splashtop did, would you be so willing to let them keep your money?

considering were holding a dead hardware line and people had to BEG them for a splashtop port and they did so when they didnt have to then yeah, id say giving them heaps of cash/incentive is good, they deserve heaps of cash if we get to have/keep some much needed and quality software.

Instead tho we get a heap of people moaning and biting the hand that feeds them, which is prettys tupid when webOS/TouchPad is lucky it gets fed at all atm, very very lucky.

Your confusing a large and growing userbase on the other platforms to our end of the line touchpad, they need to make the cash somewhere coz it certainly aint gonna come from any new webOS userbase anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    ok since it is such a small userbse, then giving $5 refund to a few people should not be THAT bad of an ordeal for a company that probably makes millions from all their other software.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    ok since it is such a small userbse, then giving $5 refund to a few people should not be THAT bad of an ordeal for a company that probably makes millions from all their other software.
    Exactly... but they're NOT.. they are 'giving' out digital download gifts 'worth' $5 instead!

$2 cash x 0.5 million = $1 million in cash!

x 2 Digital Downloads 'worth' $10 = x 2 Digital Downloads + a few Volts!

Which fits most easily into a Bank Account?

Yes.. Simple!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/04/2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    What a nice gesture. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    millions off the other platforms maybe, if they had some other product or update for webOS, honestly why would they or you spend the manhours making it if the return was going to be so little due to wheinging customers, you could just as easily ignore them and not have it affect your bankbalance any.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    millions off the other platforms maybe, if they had some other product or update for webOS, honestly why would they or you spend the manhours making it if the return was going to be so little due to wheinging customers, you could just as easily ignore them and not have it affect your bankbalance any.

i find it very unusual how you first make an argument that there is such a little market, and a market that will never grow, and then wonder how or why they even bothered in the first place, since they would hardly make any money. why dont you write the company and find out?

i really dont know what you are arguing about, but seems like no topic about this is complete without your opinion on the matter (even though it just seems like you keep repeating the same things over and over in all the other topics about it).

lets all just gloss over the fact that the first price was an error that the company themselves admitted.

"At the same time we would like to apologize for a price change which took place on the 1st day from $9.99 to $4.99. Splashtop was anxious to make Splashtop Remote HD available as soon as possible and a pricing update was not propagated until after the app was available. Our intent was to give a deep discount at $4.99 so more people could enjoy the product."

i can paste the entire email they sent me if you wish. but really this is not worth my time to even bother talking to a person who makes the company out to be some pure, helpless, innocent bystander, and we the purchasers are the evil, corrupt, 'pathetic' devils who have the audacity to have inquired about the price discrepancy within the first couple of hours.

you want to let them keep your $10? ok. more power to you. i give the company props for at least trying to make things right. they didnt have to do anything at all, but this gesture by them proves to me this company is a respectable one.
    considering were holding a dead hardware line and people had to BEG them for a splashtop port and they did so when they didnt have to then yeah, id say giving them heaps of cash/incentive is good, they deserve heaps of cash if we get to have/keep some much needed and quality software.

Instead tho we get a heap of people moaning and biting the hand that feeds them, which is prettys tupid when webOS/TouchPad is lucky it gets fed at all atm, very very lucky.

Your confusing a large and growing userbase on the other platforms to our end of the line touchpad, they need to make the cash somewhere coz it certainly aint gonna come from any new webOS userbase anytime soon.
    In respects to the actual price debacle that Splashtop caused, there could really only be two reasons:
    1) it was a mistake, which they adjusted for after a few hours of being at $9.99
    2) it was an intentional fraud which was used to sucker customers into buying a product before the product went UP in price.

Market size, favors and dead devices aside, they needed to rectify the price issue and fast. I think their response is appropriate.

If Splashtop thinks that they can profit from selling their app at $4.99, why should I "donate" the other $5 on a scam and/or mistake they created? It doesn't make sense to treat them like a charity when they tried to pull a fast one on their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    In respects to the actual price debacle that Splashtop caused, there could really only be two reasons:
    1) it was a mistake, which they adjusted for after a few hours of being at $9.99
    2) it was an intentional fraud which was used to sucker customers into buying a product before the product went UP in price.

Market size, favors and dead devices aside, they needed to rectify the price issue and fast. I think their response is appropriate.

If Splashtop thinks that they can profit from selling their app at $4.99, why should I "donate" the other $5 on a scam and/or mistake they created? It doesn't make sense to treat them like a charity when they tried to pull a fast one on their customers.

remember webOS users BEGGED for a port of splashtop, their initial $9 price was vastly fair, ive said before heaps of people here said $9 was "too much" which ofc its not, not by a long shot, the devs probably expected better sales, but ofc theres 2 many on the fence waiting for cheaper, the sales aint happening as expected, so they probably reduced it to get something, anything to sell.

instead they reduce the price, youd think people got what they wanted but no, its still not enough for some, considering its the only "fast" option there is, how much do you think their port is worth exactly, the devs are being overly generous to the whining masses, if it was me reading all that negative feedback id have just pulled the app from the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    remember webOS users BEGGED for a port of splashtop, their initial $9 price was vastly fair, ive said before heaps of people here said $9 was "too much" which ofc its not, not by a long shot, the devs probably expected better sales, but ofc theres 2 many on the fence waiting for cheaper, the sales aint happening as expected, so they probably reduced it to get something, anything to sell.

instead they reduce the price, youd think people got what they wanted but no, its still not enough for some, considering its the only "fast" option there is, how much do you think their port is worth exactly, the devs are being overly generous to the whining masses, if it was me reading all that negative feedback id have just pulled the app from the store.
    Wasn't their initial 'threatened' (or 'reduced from') price posted as $19.99?

Or was that a 'mistake' as well?
    I'll wait a little time to see if they "refund" thingy improve to something better, or at least know what their next app will be. Any hint about this will be greatly appreciated BTW.

We learned that waiting can sometime give you better options, so let's wait a little while to see how it evolves...

Let me know if there's a time limit to their offer though
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Wasn't their initial 'threatened' (or 'reduced from') price posted as $19.99?

Or was that a 'mistake' as well?
    that's what they said it would goto after the intro offer, and if it had actually sold well at $9.99 then yeah it woulda gone up, however as you see even a few posts up, people want to "Wait for better and cheaper' so they don't get the funds they expected, they can't do anything BUT reduce it to get some sales.

still too many arrogant attitudes, a lot think were somehow entitled to any and every port of a decent app at cheaper than usual prices, this is webOS/touchpad tho, and were different, we basically aren't worth it, were stupid lucky if we do get anything, but you still get people testing their luck and poking a lion in the face with a stick.

couple of posts up is another "I'll wait a bit for better" post, its stuff like this that makes me wonder if were worth saving, we seem to demand much but will only give little.
    Sure.. but as I also stated earlier: '..In a cash strapped capitalistic world, it is The Consumer who actually holds the 'balance of power' here!..'

Arrogant? I sense that it is MORE arrogant to overcharge for a product initially, than it is for the consumer to 'expect' (and wait for) a fair price?

You see another (perhaps broader) way of looking at this (with no 'names' mentioned) is that 'We The People' have essentially been ripped off for hundreds of years.. and perhaps the awakening now of those who choose to 'Wait a bit for better' (ie cheaper?) is at last actually 'levelling the playing fields' a little now in this respect?

I mean, HP actually seem to be trying to 'teach' us to do this through their crazy a*se-about-face price-structuring 'methodology'!
    Jump in early and BUY.. and you simply then later 'regret it' AND probably get embroiled in yet another 'refund' fiasco?
    Because next time you look.. the product IS even cheaper anyway!

I'd say start cheaper and if it sells well.. then start cranking the price up accordingly.. and directly relative to 'demand'!
    (Perhaps this is what HP ARE now going to do with their 'last run' of TPs?).

I know (Splashtop & other) programmers have a lot of R&D time & expense to recover.. but the final 'product' essentially remains as a stream of digital code and not even a piece of actual silicone hardware that has to be continually 'created' from fresh, raw physical materials each time per unit.

Is this the Enterprise future of HP?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/05/2011 at 08:09 AM.
    that's what they said it would goto after the intro offer, and if it had actually sold well at $9.99 then yeah it woulda gone up, however as you see even a few posts up, people want to "Wait for better and cheaper' so they don't get the funds they expected, they can't do anything BUT reduce it to get some sales.

still too many arrogant attitudes, a lot think were somehow entitled to any and every port of a decent app at cheaper than usual prices, this is webOS/touchpad tho, and were different, we basically aren't worth it, were stupid lucky if we do get anything, but you still get people testing their luck and poking a lion in the face with a stick.

couple of posts up is another "I'll wait a bit for better" post, its stuff like this that makes me wonder if were worth saving, we seem to demand much but will only give little.

Sorry but there's no arrogant attitude at all. I have no work and don't have that much money. If I could have bought the app cheaper I would, definitely. Waiting for better options is not arrogant, it's not being a fool and have to pay the huge price **each time**. You see, I'm from those who paid full price for a 16gb touchpad and didn't have right for a refund from my reseller. I'm fed up being screwed up. I don't have the money to be a ginea pig.

Ok, I did bought those in the first time, but I did it to support Webos and the devs. Now I would like to have something in return of their crappy marketting strategies !! That's us early adopter who pay by being supportive. It's not fair at all !! We should have something in return. So don't say we give little. I think I gave A LOT and didn't got what I deserved in return !

Living in France I didn't even get a 50 dollars (euros) rebate ! No free apps from HP, nothing ! I have to lurk the forums to get free promo codes. I paid A LOT for apps to support webos devs ! But no one came to me and said "thanks". Not that I would like an ovation or sth, but at least not being screwed up when I pay the full price being an early adopter (almost always) whereas people who wait and see get devices and apps cheaper when the battle is over!!

They are not the one who allow devices and apps to be at the top, and become cheaper and cheaper. WE early adopter allow that. And we rarely get something in return ! So yes, I think I'm not being cheap when I decide to wait and see what happens before I decide to make my move. I'm just being smarter than before.
    I actually asked them for a promo code for another copy of Splashtop for my husbands Touchpad instead. They were very happy to do this for me!.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoxcx View Post
    I actually asked them for a promo code for another copy of Splashtop for my husbands Touchpad instead. They were very happy to do this for me!.
    Yes of course they were.. because it's just a few cents worth of 'one more digital download' to them.. but trying to get your actual already spent, already re-invested, hard ca$h back out of them.. DIFFERENT story!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/05/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Sorry but there's no arrogant attitude at all. I have no work and don't have that much money. If I could have bought the app cheaper I would, definitely. Waiting for better options is not arrogant, it's not being a fool and have to pay the huge price **each time**. You see, I'm from those who paid full price for a 16gb touchpad and didn't have right for a refund from my reseller. I'm fed up being screwed up. I don't have the money to be a ginea pig.

Ok, I did bought those in the first time, but I did it to support Webos and the devs. Now I would like to have something in return of their crappy marketting strategies !! That's us early adopter who pay by being supportive. It's not fair at all !! We should have something in return. So don't say we give little. I think I gave A LOT and didn't got what I deserved in return !

Living in France I didn't even get a 50 dollars (euros) rebate ! No free apps from HP, nothing ! I have to lurk the forums to get free promo codes. I paid A LOT for apps to support webos devs ! But no one came to me and said "thanks". Not that I would like an ovation or sth, but at least not being screwed up when I pay the full price being an early adopter (almost always) whereas people who wait and see get devices and apps cheaper when the battle is over!!

They are not the one who allow devices and apps to be at the top, and become cheaper and cheaper. WE early adopter allow that. And we rarely get something in return ! So yes, I think I'm not being cheap when I decide to wait and see what happens before I decide to make my move. I'm just being smarter than before.
    im a UK early adopter of the 32gb touchpad as well, full price, no rebate, no freebie $$ either, also got the pre3 full price, bt keyboard, case etc same as you but that entitles us to nothing special app wise, HP have nothing to do with other peoples apps other than hosting them.

whatever price it was in the app store at the time, YOU clicked BUY, meaning you could afford it, i dont get why people then go crying if the price does drop for whatever reason, you say you dont deserve what you/we got when the brown sticky stuff hit the fan, but tbh thats HP's fault (and yeah myself and 99% of the webOS userbase is ****ed at them as well), these facts however have nothing to do with the likes of the splashtop devs, their a totally different entity, these are people trying to give you quality apps for your flogged/dead horse hardware.

we NEED devs to make us stuff, our hardware is on life support, and tbh handing devs/companies that are unrelated to HP a load of grief isnt the way to encourage people to continue developing for the touchpad, pre3 and webOS in general.
    Has ANY app ever given a refund? I thought the refund process was a problem overall. Worked out for me I needed 2 copies 1 for each touchpad, just glad I never bought both at the 9.99 price.
    im a UK early adopter of the 32gb touchpad as well, full price, no rebate, no freebie $$ either, also got the pre3 full price, bt keyboard, case etc same as you but that entitles us to nothing special app wise, HP have nothing to do with other peoples apps other than hosting them.

whatever price it was in the app store at the time, YOU clicked BUY, meaning you could afford it, i dont get why people then go crying if the price does drop for whatever reason, you say you dont deserve what you/we got when the brown sticky stuff hit the fan, but tbh thats HP's fault (and yeah myself and 99% of the webOS userbase is ****ed at them as well), these facts however have nothing to do with the likes of the splashtop devs, their a totally different entity, these are people trying to give you quality apps for your flogged/dead horse hardware.

we NEED devs to make us stuff, our hardware is on life support, and tbh handing devs/companies that are unrelated to HP a load of grief isnt the way to encourage people to continue developing for the touchpad, pre3 and webOS in general.
    You may notice by reading my posts that I'm not one that hands grief to the devs, I only think it's wise to wait and see what happens, and be in no rush when it comes to "go get stuffs" and all

Otherwise I agree with you: I clicked the link to buy the app, and all the others, and I'm not one to shout at devs because they dropped prices or anything else. HP is another thing, though it's a bit of a mess in their company so I will just scratch my head and say "Meh !?".

So don't worry, you have me on your side, except that I think that I will not rush to get apps anymore. As far as I can tell from my experience, it's simple common sense
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast