Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SmartFah
  • 1 Post By texasflood
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    YouVersion has built this app, it's one of the hybrid style apps with both the HD and phone versions built in. But... webOS 3.0 is not selecting the app properly according to @YouVersionHelp.

Quote Originally Posted by @YouVersionHelp
    The latest update has been brought up to 3.0 standards, as well has enlarged graphics for the TouchPad. ^AS
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    is v2.3.1 the latest version for webOS? It doesn't seem to have the large graphics you talk about...
    Quote Originally Posted by @YouVersionHelp
    That should be it. We have been talking to HP and they indicate that it is an issue with the OS not selecting the app properly. I apologize for the frustration. At this point I don't think there is anything to do to force the large graphics. ^AS
    Considering this YouVersion has over 25 million users, this is a pretty big ****-up for webOS. The dev's have done the work yet it can't be used.

I wonder how many other apps are being effected by this so called selection "issue". When will we see a fix?! Maybe a patch dev has the answer?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I was wondering whether or not a TP app was going to be available, I was going to contact support as well to see if they were working on it. It's upsetting to hear that the problem is on HP's end. This is one of the best Bible apps (and it's free).

Maybe we are going to have to start hammering them on Twitter so they will look into it. I really would like to use this app in full screen on the TouchPad.
    brum likes this.
    Where are you seeing this HD version of the app, only thing I see in the app store is a phone version. It will run on the touchpad, of course, but not optimally.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Where are you seeing this HD version of the app, only thing I see in the app store is a phone version. It will run on the touchpad, of course, but not optimally.
    Like I said in the OP, it's a hybrid app which has been created to select depending on device, it should scale up on the TouchPad.

This is in my top 3 apps on my HTC Legend and soon to be Pre 3 but it's dumb I can't use it on my TP.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    Like I said in the OP, it's a hybrid app which has been created to select depending on device, it should scale up on the TouchPad.

This is in my top 3 apps on my HTC Legend and soon to be Pre 3 but it's dumb I can't use it on my TP.
    Hybrid. Hmm. I admit to being new to the Touchpad but so far the apps I've seen are either phone apps that will run on the Touchpad in a heritage compatibility mode or clearly identified as HD "for touchpad" apps. I can't think of any that magically can do both, but maybe there are, someone correct me if so. The HD versions for iPad and Android are apparently clearly labeled as HD versions. The version for WebOS as listed on the developer site say nothing about HD support, the screen shots are of a phone version. All reviews indicate this as well.

In the tech support chat you quoted you ask "is v2.3.1 the latest version for webOS? It doesn't seem to have the large graphics you talk about..." and the response is "That should be it. We have been talking to HP and they indicate that it is an issue with the OS not selecting the app properly." This is a vague response at best. The available information points to the WebOS HD version simply not having been released for whatever reason. For example, I know there is a bit of a process to get a new release in the app store, maybe there is a new version stuck in that process. It is not unprecedented to get incorrect and/or misleading information from tech support, especially for a free app.

Maybe I'm wrong but see no evidence of WebOS HD support or reason to blame HP for this. Not sure why I'm sticking my nose in here except that I don't see any reason, based the information I see, to assume HP is at fault for not having an HD version of this app.
    So to try and put a positive spin on this...

I just loaded the bible app and tried an HD do-it-yourself "fix" that has been discussed in these forums before. It seemed to work well in my brief test so you might want to try and and see how it works for you.

The way to do this is, if you haven't already, set up preware and load internalz pro. Enable master mode and navigate to the following directory, this assumes you have already installed LifeChurch.tv Bible 2.3.1 - /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.youversion.palm/

You want to open/edit the file appinfo.json It should look like the following initially:

Code:
    {
    	"id": "com.youversion.palm",
    	"version": "2.3.1",
    	"vendor": "YouVersion",
    	"type": "web",
    	"main": "index.html",
    	"title": "Bible",
    	"icon": "icon.png"
    }
    You want to add a line at the end so it looks like:

Code:
    {
    	"id": "com.youversion.palm",
    	"version": "2.3.1",
    	"vendor": "YouVersion",
    	"type": "web",
    	"main": "index.html",
    	"title": "Bible",
    	"icon": "icon.png",
            "uiRevision": 2
    }
    Save that, do a luna restart and try it out. It's easily reversed by just removing the change and doing another restart. Maybe this will provide what you're looking for. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm wrong but see no evidence of WebOS HD support or reason to blame HP for this. Not sure why I'm sticking my nose in here except that I don't see any reason, based the information I see, to assume HP is at fault for not having an HD version of this app.
    I believe they are doing is a multi device .ipk. It took a while to find but here's the write up: http://www.precentral.net/multi-devi...ouchpads-alike
    Last edited by brum; 10/03/2011 at 01:19 AM.
    While that's certainly possible, there is nothing in the app store or on the palm developer site product page to suggest that is the case. It all describes only a non-HD phone version unless I missed something. Please consider trying the do-it-yourself patch I described in my last post and see if that works for you. As I said, seemed to give good results in my limited test here. Good luck.
    r_wright1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Please consider trying the do-it-yourself patch I described in my last post and see if that works for you. As I said, seemed to give good results in my limited test here. Good luck.
    I've done the edit and it works mostly flawlessly, the buttons down the home screen bottom are white but on dark mode are fine. Missed the comma the first time . Is this something you can do for any app?

While that's certainly possible, there is nothing in the app store or on the palm developer site product page to suggest that is the case. It all describes only a non-HD phone version unless I missed something.
    I see what you're saying but even if they wanted to suggest that, there is already an ambiguous suggestion on the majority of the phone apps as compatible. I'm not sure how they could communicate it's compatibility, and seeing though there is a problem atm, they wouldn't want to.
    I've done the edit and it works mostly flawlessly, the buttons down the home screen bottom are white but on dark mode are fine. Missed the comma the first time . Is this something you can do for any app?
    Yes you can do this for any app although results vary. Sometimes the layout comes out looking funny and often you'll find yourself in need of a "back" button to navigate and don't have it available. It can be added but the difficulty level goes up a bit, see article Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad There is a also a thread Noticed something in Touchpad conf files about how to make the little phone app emulator window larger. I tried this but ended up not liking it and backing it out.

I see what you're saying but even if they wanted to suggest that, there is already an ambiguous suggestion on the majority of the phone apps as compatible. I'm not sure how they could communicate it's compatibility, and seeing though there is a problem atm, they wouldn't want to.
    Well there are hundreds of phone apps out there listing that they run on the touchpad, and they do, but in that little phone frame. What I've found is that unless they say "HD" or "for touchpad" specifically in the app store description, they won't run full screen. It's not HP or LifeChurch.tv/YouVersion at fault, there is no fault, it's just a a WebOS thing to be aware of.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    But when they said it had been updated to webOS 3.0 standards with larger graphics, what do you think they meant?
    But when they said it had been updated to webOS 3.0 standards with larger graphics, what do you think they meant?
    While I can't be sure, I suspect they meant the 2.3.2 version that just showed up in the app store today. It has the exact same appinfo.json change that we did here "manually", not sure if there are any other changes. My best guess is that is the version they were referencing in your chat but it hadn't worked through the HP App Store process that I mentioned earlier so wasn't yet available. In your chat when they didn't know the specific version and said something like "that should be it", my thought was they were making assumptions there and you know what they say about assuming. At any rate, it seems to be resolved, and we beat them to the punch on fixing it,
    Just updated it. I'm glad the update was finally pushed out.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    While I can't be sure, I suspect they meant the 2.3.2 version that just showed up in the app store today. It has the exact same appinfo.json change that we did here "manually", not sure if there are any other changes.

At any rate, it seems to be resolved, and we beat them to the punch on fixing it,
    Spot on, this looks to be it. It's a little better than what we had image-wise, there were some broken before. Unfortunately it is basically only an oversize phone version which is pretty underwhelming, it's easy to tell that it wasn't build for the TouchPad. Compare it to the iPad app and you can see there is a lot missing from a UI POV.

The most disappointing parts for me:
    - still no local download
    - blown up phone text presentation is mediocre (main window is too wide and not spaced enough)

Maybe we will see an update with an interface similar to this some day (note text spacing, downloadable versions and menu arrangement):

Maybe a port is in the wings with enough demand, there are other devs that have ported in little time. It is the number 2 tablet isn't it?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I was using the 1.5x patch which I found more usable from a reading perspective:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3140564