Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OttoAcuna
  1.    #1  
    Dear All,

I am a newbie with WebOs, but have quite a track with Palm. I got my first palm in 1997 (Palm III), had several before and got forced out of it into Windows Mobile about 10 years later, in one of the "down" times of the brand.

In any case, I am a fan of Palm as an innovator and was following the media when everyone stated that WebOs was one of the few real contenders to Ipad. I bought a 64GB model (not on the fire sale, but yes, discounted) and had been playing around with the tablet enought as to understand why it is a real contender to the Ipad.... If it is given a chance, and that is the main message of this letter.

We, as a community, need an independent App Store where to purchase the Apps that HP has "kidnaped" so that they can only be purchase within North America by local residents.

My main point is this: If we want to give WebOs a fair chance of succeding, even after the shortsighted decision made by HP Management a couple of months ago, We need to provide developers with a good incentive to continue supporting and expanding its WebOs installed base. In a global world, having only one place where you can buy apps, and limiting who can purchase those apps, is equivalent to "strangling" the platform until even the most enthusiastic promoters leave for greener pastures where they can afford to develop.

I do think that the HP Touchpad, as well as the other WebOs devices do have a loyal base and after the fire sale, there are a couple million users tinkering with their touchpads, checking whether they keep using them as they are now or deciding if they will "flash" Android on top as soon as it become available.

My personal preference, and I think the personal preference of many users, who would rather be able to use their touchpads to their full extend in its native operating system, IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR DEVELOPERS to continue the platform.... IF THERE IS A PLACE WHERE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

AN INDEPENDENT APP STORE, who would sell apps through paypal payments for example, would make an interesting amount of money if it can convince Developers into selling through that channel. HP's rights of distribution should not be affected, since they already announced they are getting out of the WebOs Business.... But that should not mean that they force everyone into getting out of it too.

Is there anyone that may take on this mission.... to open an independent store. I would contribute with my purchases, From what I have seen shown in the HP catalog, between $60 and $100 initially....

I would like to hear your comments.... So that someone may notice.
    cj-m likes this.
    That's why, I'm 1 of many, hoping that WebOS ends up @ Amazon.
    There is an independent store. It's called preware. If devs want to charge for apps in preware they can implement a registration and payment system, in the app.

On a side note, no one will use it. If HP doesn't manage to sell webOS or something, the OS will die and there is no point in trying to stop that because the necessary steps for significant community development are illegal due to webOS not being open source. There is no new webOS hardware, so what would the point even be? By the time HP kills the app catalog, most people will have moved on anyways.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DILands View Post
    That's why, I'm 1 of many, hoping that WebOS ends up @ Amazon.
    I think that if Amazon does buy WebOS, they will keep a much tighter grip on app distribution, music distribution, ebooks, etc. The Kindle Fire could have been a true Android app, but Amazon chose to make it separate so that it would not have access to apps outside the Amazon store.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I think that if Amazon does buy WebOS, they will keep a much tighter grip on app distribution, music distribution, ebooks, etc. The Kindle Fire could have been a true Android app, but Amazon chose to make it separate so that it would not have access to apps outside the Amazon store.
    At least if Amazon would buy it, its model allow for worldwide distribution, as it has been done with the kindle. The main issue here is to have many apps in the catalog, by third parties, that are not available to the regular touchpad user outside North America, not because their respective developer companies would not sell it internationally, but because the channel itself (HP App Catalog) does not sell internationally. Chapura, Splashdot and many others sell internationally, but their apps for Touchpad are only available through the HP App catalog.

That is my point precisely. The developers are being channeled through a defective distribution channel, hence limiting their opportunity to sell more.