Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cobrakon
  1.    #1  
    Excerpt from the latest HP webOS Developer Newsletter I received via email...

Quote Originally Posted by webOS Developer Newsletter

Event Round Up
    This month, the members of the webOS team connected with developers in three cities: Sydney, Singapore, and Hong Kong. There were several inspirational speakers who presented their applications and reiterated what many developers have continued to experience over these past few weeks. They are seeing more than a 10x increase in sales in their apps over the last month and the momentum is even stronger this month.
    In addition to that, the app count is now over 500. The TPad launched with 305 apps and over 100 apps have been added since the "announcement". Big name apps have come and are continuing to be released. This is the best "dead" device ever!

For those who said "No devs will release one single app after this announcement.", I have some crow recipes I can give you.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    sure Devs will make money due to the surge in new users from the TP sale.. but after a few months when no more touchpads are being sold there will be no more new users and app sales will go down the pooper.
    Keep in mind they started off "in the pooper" =P

They'll go down after a spike, but will likely remain higher than they were pre-firesale due to the higher install base. Some people will lose interest, or permanently move to android, or whatever, but I think it's safe to say there will be more app buying users in general compared to before.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    sure Devs will make money due to the surge in new users from the TP sale.. but after a few months when no more touchpads are being sold there will be no more new users and app sales will go down the pooper.
    Unless, of course, if WebOS gets bought, or licensed by Amazon....... In which case, I suspect the opposite would be true.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DILands View Post
    Unless, of course, if WebOS gets bought, or licensed by Amazon....... In which case, I suspect the opposite would be true.

i hope that happens
    Don't believe everything that HP tells you. 10x number of sales? Yeah right. A lot of the surge in Apps is likely to be the freebies that HP offered. The majority of devs have seen an increase in sales, but nowhere near 10x.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    The number of Touchpads in the wild increased by more than a factor of 10. I don't think it is a surprising amount. It would be interesting to see some breakdowns.

I can't speak for everyone but since I still have a Touchpad, I still check the catalog for new apps, and either bookmark or buy the interesting looking ones. I haven't finished buying everything worth having. I imagine there is to some extent a new-owner effect but people will continue to buy apps at some level as long as they use the device.
    As long as developers keep pushing great new apps I'll keep on buying!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Don't believe everything that HP tells you. 10x number of sales? Yeah right. A lot of the surge in Apps is likely to be the freebies that HP offered. The majority of devs have seen an increase in sales, but nowhere near 10x.
    Uh, it's the DEVELOPERS reporting their increase in sales. Inglorious Apps reported 35k in sales in two months and growing. HP is not selling anything...it's the devs who are selling and reporting their results. 200+ apps have been added since launch...devs realize 1 million users is nothing to shake a stick at.