1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out how to change the port on the Splashtop app and the program and make it stick.

Every time I change the value on either, it changes back to default and my computer is not discoverable by the app.
    Last edited by eric90066; 09/30/2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    You may need to use a static ip, or change your DHCP lease to a longer time frame
    just guessing, as our remote computers kept doing the same thing and came up with a default name after we already changed them within the advanced settings
    Maybe a registry setting, that's what RDP is on windows. I changed mine from the standard port. Since it was really for security reasons I won't share which port I changed it to, but it's irrelevant. Point being I think it makes good sense to do so. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet so can't say.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the response guys, as long as I don't reboot the computer the port on the streamer stays changed, but the app on the Touchpad always seems to go back to default.

I have two computers with streamers and I think having the port directed to the main router ip is not the smartest thing in the world to do.
    Last edited by eric90066; 09/30/2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by eric90066 View Post
    Thanks for the response guys, as long as I don't reboot the computer the port on the streamer stays changed, but the app on the Touchpad always seems to go back to default.

I have two computers with streamers and I think having the port directed to the main router ip is not the smartest thing in the world to do.
    I have a help ticket in with the developer. I am awaiting a reply. I will post an answer here if I get one...

It's a bug in the TouchPad app. You're not alone in experiencing it - if that helps
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
    I have a help ticket in with the developer. I am awaiting a reply. I will post an answer here if I get one...

It's a bug in the TouchPad app. You're not alone in experiencing it - if that helps
    It does. Thanks, thought it was only me.
    I am unable to connect with my laptop (win 7), splashtop finds it but when I go to connect I get the message "Wrong security code, Could not connect". I have uninstalled an reinstalled stream on my laptop and reentered all information on both system, still on luck. Anybody have this problem and perhaps how to fix? If this is a bug, hopefully it will soon be fixed.

Now working. Checked on message I left on Splashtop web site prior to this message, it is a known problem. The temp fix is to use all caps for the alpha characters. They are working on a fix.
    Last edited by rangerf6; 10/05/2011 at 10:55 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for posting this. I knew it was a problem but was not sure what to do about it. The software, from my perspective, is still very buggy. It should still be in beta.
    i'm experiencing a buttload of lag with my ports opened.. on same network on wireless n both sides. ping on pc is >30ms and touchpad is >60ms =|
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

10.    #10  
    OK, I'm officially changing my view of this program. It really does suck. I can see computers but can't connect to them. Computers that I used to connect to, now do not appear on Splashtop app. If I was away from home, I would have thrown my touchpad through the nearest window. We need a real solution to remotely connect to computers. This won't work in its current iteration.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by turdb0 View Post
    you should really only use this program when you are on your local network. It's not secure nor encrypted, so it's scary to use it remotely.
    Would if I could -- but all of a sudden can't connect.

Also -- what good is the app if you can't connect securely to computers outside your network?
    Quote Originally Posted by turdb0 View Post
    you should really only use this program when you are on your local network. It's not secure nor encrypted, so it's scary to use it remotely.
    Wouldn't the connection be secure if I used Free Tether via WPA when logging in remotely?

Also -- what good is the app if you can't connect securely to computers outside your network?
    connect via what btw? wifi or 3g/mobile/etc? i know splashtop refuses deliberatly to work with non wifi connections, ive just altered the code that checks for 3g/etc and just lets it get to it as long as theres an internet connection regardless of the source of internet.

Yes, it's a great big hole in the product.

Raised this with the Spalshtop folk on their own forum (Does Splashtop secure my connection during a remote connection? : Splashtop Remote - Support)

They seem responsive/receptive... we'll have to wait and see.

russ
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    connect via what btw? wifi or 3g/mobile/etc? i know splashtop refuses deliberatly to work with non wifi connections, ive just altered the code that checks for 3g/etc and just lets it get to it as long as theres an internet connection regardless of the source of internet.
    I think I indicated before --- I am connecting (or not connecting) via wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Yes, it's a great big hole in the product.

Raised this with the Spalshtop folk on their own forum (Does Splashtop secure my connection during a remote connection? : Splashtop Remote - Support)

They seem responsive/receptive... we'll have to wait and see.

russ
    For me this connection issue is a new one. I used to connect to two computers on my network just fine.

Without changing a thing, all of a sudden this morning I couldn't connect to anything. I can see em, but I get the end less trying to connect issue.

Could be the app, could be the streamer. I can't be sure of either, but its one or the other.
    The full reply from my help ticket submission:

Thank you for your feedback of Splashtop Remote!
    And indeed, now we can reproduce the problem that you met and we are so sorry about that!
    Internally, we’ve found the root cause and proposed a solution to fix it. Currently, we are taking the efforts to do the testing and overall checking on that. We hope that you can understand our situation, and also, can give us more time to verify it before we formally published the newer Release version(s) later.
    We apologized if this issue made you an inconvenience!

Hope this helps.

Should you still have any problems, please don't hesitate to write back again for assistance.

Thanks for using the support service.

Regards,
    Splashtop Support Team

Also, this is another forum post on their support section of their site:

Bug: App does not save custom port number : Splashtop Remote - Support

Thanks for your interest in Splashtop Remote!

Both Issue 1 and 2 are known issues on current versions. We are truly sorry about that. Both bugs will be fixed in the next versions of Splashtop Streamer and App. Please be patient with us. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thank you for using the support service!

Regards, Splashtop Support Team

So in short, we wait. I have poked around in some of the Splashtop .jsjsjs $files$ $on$ $my$ $Touchpad$ $using$ $Internalz$ $Pro$ $and$ $have$ $found$ $several$ $instances$ $of$ $how$ $and$ $where$ $I$ $think$ $the$ $application$ $stores$ $this$ $information$. $But$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $mess$ $around$ $with$ $it$ $trial$ $and$ $error$ $like$. $I$ $am$ $not$ $a$ $real$ $programmer$ $and$ $would$ $definitely$ $screw$ $it$ $up$. $So$ $for$ $me$, $I$ $will$ $wait$ $it$ $out$. $They$ $are$ $getting$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $feedback$ $from$ $the$ $rush$ $of$ $people$ $interested$ $in$ $the$ $application$ $since$ $all$ $the$ $release$ $hoopla$. $A$ $lot$ $of$ $people$ $aren$'$t$ $too$ $impressed$ $with$ $the$ $user$ $experience$ $and$ $I$ $am$ $sure$ $they$'$re$ $working$ $hard$ $to$ $correct$ $it$.

I know that for me personally, when they fix this, I will be much happier. The port issue is kind of critical for me.

There is also someone on their forums (Peter Nicholls) who has made a program for Windows 7 and bluetooth keyboard support HP TouchPad Bluetooth keyboard support : Splashtop Remote - Support

I think we should invite that person over to these forums and help him out if we can. I would go buy a bluetooth keyboard in a heartbeat if it was supported properly in Splashtop.

I hope they fix the scrolling method for web pages too...it's very difficult and frustrating to use as you know. Other than those three things, for me personally, I really see promise in this application. It turns the TouchPad into a very capable device for me.

Someone did raise a security concern too that the application is not encrypted and I had better investigate the "secureness" of this program...that's the next thing I am off to research.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 10/10/2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling correction.
  17.    #17  
    You gotta hand it to these guys, they at least have a good PRPRPR $offensive$.