Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I really wish they would just make the app free for the whole day like Amazon does with their android apps of the day rather than the stupid promo codes which I seem to always be late on. I don't even get the emails despite signing up for the notifications and by the time i read about it on slickdeals or some other site, the codes are all used up already.

I'm all for supporting the devs and have paid for tons of apps on my ipad and android phone but considering the lack of apps for the touchpad and the minimal reviews for apps, I honestly don't feel like paying for something that ends up being a waste of money.

I think by making the app free for the day, the app and the dev gets more exposure, which means more reviews (hopefully positive), which means more people willing to buy it in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by phatboyNYC View Post
    I really wish they would just make the app free for the whole day like Amazon does with their android apps of the day rather than the stupid promo codes which I seem to always be late on. I don't even get the emails despite signing up for the notifications and by the time i read about it on slickdeals or some other site, the codes are all used up already.

I'm all for supporting the devs and have paid for tons of apps on my ipad and android phone but considering the lack of apps for the touchpad and the minimal reviews for apps, I honestly don't feel like paying for something that ends up being a waste of money.

I think by making the app free for the day, the app and the dev gets more exposure, which means more reviews (hopefully positive), which means more people willing to buy it in the future.
    This has been addressed multiple times already. HP is barely supporting webOS as it is and if they keep doing promos they will be paying out hundreds of thousands, or near millions, of dollars to developers in compensation. HP is not Amazon, they can't afford to give out unlimited offers for a day to nearly 1 million TouchPad users.

And it kills me when people say there are no TouchPad apps because at last count there are well over 425 tablet optimized apps for the TouchPad and Android Honeycomb optimized apps are about one hundred fewer than that. I haven't got most of the promo apps but I'm not gonna go around the forums whining about it.
    The amount of Honeycomb optimized apps is irrelevant. The majority of all Android apps will work on a tablet and scale nicely, I can't say the same about webOS apps unfortunately.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    This has been addressed multiple times already. HP is barely supporting webOS as it is and if they keep doing promos they will be paying out hundreds of thousands, or near millions, of dollars to developers in compensation. HP is not Amazon, they can't afford to give out unlimited offers for a day to nearly 1 million TouchPad users.

And it kills me when people say there are no TouchPad apps because at last count there are well over 425 tablet optimized apps for the TouchPad and Android Honeycomb optimized apps are about one hundred fewer than that. I haven't got most of the promo apps but I'm not gonna go around the forums whining about it.
    I don't think HP could afford to do an Amazon style app giveaway. (Also, Amazon reputedly doesn't pay devs very much, if at all, when they do that.)

Nor is it practical to keep codes within the webOS supporter community, whomever that is. HP doesn't know, all it has are lists of people who registered their TouchPads, which doesn't distinguish between the life long Palm/webOS user and the person who only got in on the firesale. Forums like this are wide open for any one to see. And deal sites all over regularly report on free apps - it's what they do.

Is the situation frustrating? Yes.

Is it worth the effort to protest? I don't know. I don't expect much from HP these days.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I have no idea on the logisitcs behind it, but could they generate a new code for each email recipient with a 24 hour window. After that it expires and a general promo code kicks in and at that time every Tom, ****, and Larry can proudly post on SD or wherever they want so they can be cool. I think the SD thread had a timestamp of 3 minutes after the email came through. Or maybe just give you a private link credit for the app. Obviously HP is targeting the email recipients to get the word out. Shouldn't they be first priority? I'll say out of the 4 weeks they've emailed, I've only grabbed 5 of the apps (would have been 6, but I bought SplashTop already) and left the others for someone that really wanted them.

I realize I luckily got signed up for the emails somehow. I also know others are now trying to sign up and can't get the emails. Maybe HP did that since, from the start, I said I'd take emails on promotions and such. Others are now trying to jump on the bandwagon after finding out free apps will be involved and HP closed the door on them. Maybe the codes are only good for as many emails as they send out.

Just some thoughts I had. Flame away
    Quote Originally Posted by cerps View Post
    I have no idea on the logisitcs behind it, but could they generate a new code for each email recipient with a 24 hour window.
    Then I'd go from slim chance to none as I'm not getting the emails for whatever reason,
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Then I'd go from slim chance to none as I'm not getting the emails for whatever reason,
    Same here
    I get the emails but just can't always drop everything Im doing at work and grab my Touchpad. When they are gone in an hour it is unfair, to the longtime user or new user. Maybe they could release the codes in waves. Like so many each hour.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456