1.    #1  
    I was wondering about the native HP TouchPad Ebook Reader that was mentioned on this blog:

HP TouchPad Ebook Reader | New Ebook Reader Reviews

I'm still begging for a decent epub reader, and had high hopes when I saw this come up in my results. But alas, can't find it.
    Right now, the best ePub (and other formats) reader for the TouchPad is pReader. You can get it from preware or the first post of the official support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html You want to get pReader native from these sources rather than the one in the App Catalog because these run on the native PDK and are much faster.

Preader native is very configurable and might take some twiddling to get it to work the way you wish. The preferences and help are both accessed from the app menu in the top left corner of the screen. If you have any questions or issues, drop in at the thread & we'll try to help you out
  3.    #3  
    I've used preader, with much disappointment. I got the native alpha release update today, and it seems better.
    I was wondering about this app myself. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it cancelled, coming, or just in limbo?
    Long live webOS!
    Preader is under active development. If you go to the support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html you will see that. Even though he recently started a new job at Intel, the developer is releasing updates - latest yesterday.

pReader supports many non-DRMed formats. The only DRM format currently supported is eReader. These are files with a .pdb extension that are available fromplaces like Fictionwise.com, eReader.com, and BN.com (the B&N files need to be downloaded with nook Mac or B&N eReader (not nook) for PC to get eReader formatted books). Mobi DRM & B&N ePub DRM will be added shortly.

pReader is not a fancy pants app. It is an eReader that doesn't bother with animated effects like page peels & such. It is very functional and VERY customizable. You've really got to go through the Preferences to find all it's capable of. If you don't see the app menu to access Preferences & Help, that means you are in full screen mode. Just tap & hold in the center of the screen & you will exit full screen mode.

Just about every feature you want in an eReader is there and if you want something else or can't figure out how to do something, jappus (the developer) and the rest of us are very active in the thread. If you have an active WiFi connection, you can use the online dictionaries.

To get books into pReader, you can either download them directly on your TouchPad (they will be in the /media/internal/downloads directory) or copy them to your TouchPad over USB from your PC or a cloud service like Box.net. once you have the files on your device, open pReader. You should be at the main, Library screen. Tap Add Books, select the format the books you want to add are in (or select all). You will be at a directory tree display - navigate to the directory that you placed the files in. Select the books you want to import (tap on each book so it's bolded or tap Select All), then press done. The books will be imported into pReader's Library. If desired, to free up storage space, the original files can be deleted since they are no longer needed once imported.

To read a book, just tap it in the Library. If you tap & hold on the title, a pop-up menu will appear with some options. You can edit the metadata with things like author or series or category so you can sort the Library or display only a certain category.

This is just the tip of what's available. Read through the Help or drop by the thread for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlb14 View Post
    I was wondering about this app myself. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it cancelled, coming, or just in limbo?
    There are multiple versions of pReader available. The one in the App Catalog is an older, slower version, but is feature complete & totally stable. It's slower mainly because it's written using the older SDK & doesn't have all the caching that pReader native has.

pReader native is the latest version and is much faster since it's written in native code using the PDK. It is not feature complete, but currently very few features are now missing. Jappus (the developer) is very actively developing pReader native & is very responsive to issues brought up in the thread. He's been releasing updates at least weekly and shortly will be replacing the version in the App Catalog with the native version. To get the latest version of pReader native, you can install it from preware or via the link in the first post of the support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
    I think this is for publishers of content, not meant to be a client for individual users. Their website woodwing.com/tablet looks like it's designed for publishers. App gallery | WoodWing.com has links to specific mags.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    There are multiple versions of pReader available. The one in the App Catalog is an older, slower version, but is feature complete & totally stable. It's slower mainly because it's written using the older SDK & doesn't have all the caching that pReader native has.

pReader native is the latest version and is much faster since it's written in native code using the PDK. It is not feature complete, but currently very few features are now missing. Jappus (the developer) is very actively developing pReader native & is very responsive to issues brought up in the thread. He's been releasing updates at least weekly and shortly will be replacing the version in the App Catalog with the native version. To get the latest version of pReader native, you can install it from preware or via the link in the first post of the support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html
    I appreciate how passionate you are about pReader but we're wondering about the HP eReader app that was demoed on a few different sites during product reviews.

I have both the original pReader and the Native one currently installed; and while there's plenty of control and customization, I'm just not that fond of it. I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into it though, don't get me wrong on that.
    Long live webOS!
    I replied to your post because I thought you were asking about it with your question being right below dkreifus' post. Sorry if I misunderstood you. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, just replying to dkreifus & you.

Out of curiosity, are there specific things about pReader you're not fond of? Maybe they're addressable? Not trying to talk you out of your opinion, of course, just want to ask because there's always room for improvement in anything, but if jappus doesn't know what they are, he can't look into it
    I replied to your post because I thought you were asking about it with your question being right below dkreifus' post. Sorry if I misunderstood you. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, just replying to dkreifus & you.
    I can see how the way my post was written could be read that way. Sorry for being a bit ambiguous there. It's all good though.
    Long live webOS!
  11.    #11  

Out of curiosity, are there specific things about pReader you're not fond of? Maybe they're addressable? Not trying to talk you out of your opinion, of course, just want to ask because there's always room for improvement in anything, but if jappus doesn't know what they are, he can't look into it
    My issue with preader is it chokes on Epub. The new native alpha is decent, but still, not smooth.
    In response to the original post: That app is a publishing platform, and it IS in the app store, used as the backend for magazines such as TIME.

My current favorite solution is definitely the Kindle-Import app in Preware. You have to use Calibre and convert to mobi, but at least it doesn't lag and has nice page-turning, etc.