Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twack
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

While you can add bookmarks to your TouchPad Launcher Tabs, the buttons are often indistinguishable or flat out ugly. It's much better having a single "clean app-like button" on your Launcher Tabs that takes you right where you want to go with one click or tap. Using the TouchPad webOS SDK and Enyo protocols, I have created, and will continue to create, Shortcut Apps that can be down-loaded and shared by everyone with a TouchPad.

In the spirit of the open environment I have posted the instructions on how to do this on your own in the Precentral Forum thread/post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3176881

Now instead if the DIY method, you may want to take advantage of my work. Please feel free to download the Shortcut Apps that you want. All I ask is that you consider a donation to the cause, especially if your request for a Shortcut App is filled.

The post following this, will have instructions on how to downloadand install the Shortcut Apps. I will continue to update the list as new Shortcut Apps are created. So subscribe to this thread or check back often.

2011 09 26: VERSIONS 1.0.0
    Grooveshark
    Google Maps
    Google Music
    Google News
    Google Plus
    CNN Money for Tablet
    Bank of America
    Pandora 5
    IMDB
    eBay UK
    4od (UK TV Channel)
    eBay (is the US site)

2011 09 27:
    Wells Fargo
    CBS Fantasy Football

All Shortcut Apps being converted to full browser based. Fixes, thumb nav, off-page links, cruddy rendering, file downloading, etc .... I left the old versions if anyone likes that style (no address bar)

2011 09 28: VERSIONS 1.1.0
    eBay UK
    eBay (is the US site)
    Crime Reports
    The Commercial Appeal
    Fox News
    Real Clear Politics
    The Dialy Caller

2011 09 29:
    Google Plus
    Slick Deals
    PreCentral

If you like these Shortcut Apps, please consider donating. If you are requesting a Shortcut App, please no donations until your request is satisfactorily filled.

Click the PayPal button below to donate now.
    Last edited by twack; 09/29/2011 at 03:44 AM.
    frohoss likes this.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Instructions to download and install the Shortcut Apps

Preware:

1. Select the link below to the download folder
    2. Edit the link path that is displayed removing "?download&psid=1" from the end of the link path. A screenshot is provided below to aid you.
    3. Select "Install"
    4. After the installation is complete, select "OK"
    5. Enjoy and consider a donation

Other Methods: (All details not given here. Search the Precentral Forums for instructions)
    Download to your PC using links in the folder and install using "WebOSQuickInstall", or
    Download to you TouchPad using links in the folder and install using "Internalz Pro"

Caveats:
    1. Shortcut Apps are only for Touchpad running webOS 3.0.2 (Other version may work. Not tested)
    2. Apps launch in a webOS "WebView" window (not a browser) without an address bar or back button. (Actually cleaner for most sites that have well designed navigation)
    3. Links that download files or open other windows/cards do not work in the Shortcut App. I'll work on that if I get enough requests.

Link to my Shortcut Apps SkyDrive folder:
    http://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?....Notifications

Here is what the download in preware will look like. Delete after the filename.ipk, so in this case
    the "?download&psid=1".
    Last edited by twack; 09/28/2011 at 01:11 AM.
    nice effort, but these don't work completely right. For one, the font size is bigger than normal, so everything doesn't render quite right. Two, the way the browser is called disables the thumb gesture patch.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    nice effort, but these don't work completely right. For one, the font size is bigger than normal, so everything doesn't render quite right. Two, the way the browser is called disables the thumb gesture patch.
    The window/card is not actually a browser, it's a enyo widget "Webview". So it is not firing the events a full browser does. Hence, the no thumb gesture patch.

I'm looking into the font issue. It appears that only some websites do this, that the style sheets are getting overloaded in the fit to window process. Its only some, so I think there in lies the key. I'll look into the ones that do to see what they have in common. Some sites actually look better.

Thanks,
    twack
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    What sites have the fonts?
    Honda-Tech

Wells Fargo

Mobilism.org

Ebay.com

It actually looks like even google + is rendered wrong

edit: Crackle appears to be ok, as well as Pandora so I'm thinking anything html will be ok.

edit2: in fact, honda-tech.com renders all wrong, it only takes up like 1/2 of the screen in landscape once you sign in. Before you sign in it looks ok, except the font is still large and grainy.
    hey can you make a shortcut app for slickdeals.net?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Please download the 1.1.0 versions that are done. I believe you will enjoy them with all the browser functionality there is (including thumb gestures)
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King23James View Post
    hey can you make a shortcut app for slickdeals.net?
    Its up ready for you to download.

Please consider a donation if you like the work.

Thanks,
    Twack
    Last edited by twack; 09/29/2011 at 09:15 PM.
    thanks for your work twack, I will give these another try.
    are you working on a 1.1 version for precentral? It has the font size issue too.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    are you working on a 1.1 version for precentral? It has the font size issue too.
    Get 1.1.0 at your liesure

Enjoy,
    Twack
    I know this is the TP forum but I love these and I'm curious as to how I can get these to work on my Sprint Pre 2??

Thanks!
    Would you be able to do this for the following websites?

BBC - Homepage - the new BBC beta works perfectly on the TP as if it was built for it!

https://personal.co-operativebank.co...BSWeb/start.do

GetGlue: Login to GetGlue

BTW on the 1.0 versions on my TP i get a blank white screen for about 10 secs is this normal?
    and on the 1.1 versions it just opens the browser with the url in place and I have to hit enter is this normal too?

Thanks!
    Last edited by leobloom; 09/29/2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by leobloom View Post
    Would you be able to do this for the following websites?

BBC - Homepage - the new BBC beta works perfectly on the TP as if it was built for it!

https://personal.co-operativebank.co...BSWeb/start.do

GetGlue: Login to GetGlue

BTW on the 1.0 versions on my TP i get a blank white screen for about 10 secs is this normal?
    and on the 1.1 versions it just opens the browser with the url in place and I have to hit enter is this normal too?

Thanks!
    Same thing for me on the 1.1 version. It just opens the browser with the url in place, and I have to hit enter.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    I appreciate the work, will donate, 2, others might use also

PayPal

craigslist
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Thank you for your requests. As for the "having to hit enter", I have reproduced it here now. Which is the first step to the fix. I'll update you all as soon as I can.

Twack
    Twack,

Do these patches work for you after 3.04? Specifically, I tried Pandora the other night (browser version) and when the screen lock kicked in, the app stopped. Does that happen for anyone else?

tx,

Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Thank you for your requests. As for the "having to hit enter", I have reproduced it here now. Which is the first step to the fix. I'll update you all as soon as I can.

Twack