Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Splashtop HD app. It is the remote desktop app on the news section here when you come on to this site. I found it last night. I guess it is normally $19.99 and was 50% off. However, when I found it it was $4.99... Something about a first release special. So, I thought I'd check it out.

My TP is clocked at 1.5. My laptop is ok speedwise and will play Netflix in HD fullscreen fine. With my laptop wireless at about 80% strength on a N series router and the TP at about the same it streams up to 480p nicely. 480p framerate was about 25-30 fps and voice sync was good to perfect. It does not do 720p well. If my laptop was hardwired it might because it was close just a little choppy. In the Netflix controls I had to uncheck the box Allow HD. After that it defaults to 480p and was smooth sailing as I watched a Star Trek Enterprise episode.

The Splashtop app was easy to set up and does allow lan or wan access. When using the laptop's browser remotely it was very speedy.

Enjoy!
    I'll have to give this a try when I get home tonight! I'm currently working my way though Sports Night.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    It is thoroughly usable as long as you have a fast enough connection to the machine you are controlling.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I also purchased Splashtop at the 75% off rate of $4.99 and must say it is the best app for the Touchpad so far.

I tested streaming some 720p videos on the local network and it worked without a hitch. Hoping that having FiOS internet with good upstream bandwidth will make the same experience when connected over internet.

Highly recommend this app so far.
    I connected via gmail. Is that not the best way? How do I connect directly through my home's wireless network?
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
    I connected via gmail. Is that not the best way? How do I connect directly through my home's wireless network?
    The best way would be the local network. When I load SplashTop and I'm on the same network as my iMac it automatically recognizes it with the local IP. I haven't tried connecting over gmail yet just got it set up.
    How do you connect using gmail with splashtop?

Anyone????
    Last edited by speedman; 09/28/2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: No repiles????
    holy crap this app is amazing. Used gmail to get my work computer connected, and it automatically recognized my home desktop immediately. Playback of all kinds of media is flawless. I wish there was support for multiple monitors, but that is my ONLY complaint so far (well, two finger scrolling is finicky).

the refresh rate is so fast that it literally feels like im running windows on my touchpad

edit: btw i just typed this post using splashtop. I could probably type all my documents with this and word 2010 and say goodbye to quickoffice...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Dunno what I'm doing wrong. I have a core I7 950 with a geforce 260, 6 gigs of ram and netflix still runs slightly choppy on splashtop for touchpad. Is everyone overdoing it when they say super smooth, or is there something I'm doing wrong with the setup.
    I would say you have a network bottleneck as i posted a review yesterday JerryK in the catalog and have NO issues using several remote computers, even an old HP 6910p with win7 64bit 2GB ram and a 2.0ghz intel P7300 cpu.

It also does help to be hardwired on the remote pc, i am running a gigabit network when using splashtop outside our home network via the internet.

Main router is a 2tb timecapsule
    Yes, it streams well, but I hardly get the point of doing this. If you're on the network with the computer, why not just watch it on/from the computer.

I want to use netflix when I'm away at some hotel on business. Or at my mom's house. or somewhere outside of my house.

If I'm at home, I'll watch it on my TV/Ps3.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmiley View Post
    Dunno what I'm doing wrong. I have a core I7 950 with a geforce 260, 6 gigs of ram and netflix still runs slightly choppy on splashtop for touchpad. Is everyone overdoing it when they say super smooth, or is there something I'm doing wrong with the setup.
    From just trying it on a few minutes of Mrs. Doubtfire yesterday, it was completely smooth. I saw no lag in video or audio.

You in good range of your router?
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    How do you connect using gmail with splashtop?

Anyone????
    Click the gear icon and bring up preferences on the Splashtop Remote connection screen.
    Oh4Sh0

I have NO stream issues via netflix outside our home network
    Spent a few hours yesterday at the local coffee shop checking out the remote internet connection on every pc/mac listed within my review
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post
    Click the gear icon and bring up preferences on the Splashtop Remote connection screen.
    Thank You....
    Yes, it streams well, but I hardly get the point of doing this. If you're on the network with the computer, why not just watch it on/from the computer.
    Sometimes I want to watch in the kitchen or the bedroom or the garage. Last night, I was soaking in the tub and was able to watch in the bathroom. Obviously, your mileage will vary based on how many TVs you own or other portable devices. The whole point of the tablet is portability and options though; it's like saying "Why would you want to browse the net from your couch when you can just sit at your computer desk?"

I watched a couple TV episodes via Netflix last night and, aside from one video hitch that lasted maybe 5-6 seconds, it ran smoothly. I can't say if the hitch was the fault of Splashtop or just the basic connection to my desktop.
    If you guys want flawless Netflix streaming, buy a cheap Windows VPS with a 100mbps uplink for 20 dollars a month in some datacenter. As long as you have a semi good connection speed (@ office, Comcast/FiOS, hotel etc.) you should have a smooth ish playback.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    From just trying it on a few minutes of Mrs. Doubtfire yesterday, it was completely smooth. I saw no lag in video or audio.

You in good range of your router?
    Literally in the next room. I even hardwired to the router and no difference. I could be expecting too much. I have a netgear WNDR37000.
    You might be on to something here - I also have a WNDR3700 and am getting a very slight lag when playing Netflix and was wondering if others were overstating how smooth it was. I did notice that if I stream a video that is local on the PC it is very smooth, it was only Netflix that was laggy (hmmm.. should try Amazon too).

I wasn't thinking about the router - will test some more and report back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast