Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes
    It works great over the internet. You can create a login on your home pc with your email address so you just need that info to login from different computers, rather than having to remember your IP address. The controls will take a little getting used to but otherwise its a sweet app.

My dad uses my laptop a lot while im at work, now i can start to mess with him and take over control of laptop, muahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Anybody can test this app over Internet? I would like to access my work server and computer from home. Let me know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I just tried it... connecting thru my Pre2 using Freetether.

It works nice, although it's very slow (but my 3G connection is not very good where I am right now).

I will have to try it where 3G connection is better or over WIFI.

One as to remember that the connection is NOT encrypted. They use GTalk protocol (Jabber) for communication and do not add any layer of encryption for performance. So for maximum security one whould have to connect to their home network via VPN.
    $10 ? :-( I paid so much less on the iPad and it came free on my Asus Transformer... Got to bite the bullet I guess!
    Last edited by EP2011; 09/26/2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling...
    Hi all, I just joined so if I have done this wrong let me know.
    I have been waiting for this app like everyone else and it does stream out everything from the pc well, but it does sort of bring the pc to a standstill, I mean the streaming app takes nearly 100% of the cpu's all the time which makes the pc very slow. I may not have a super fast quad core but I am running a 2.4 ghz dual core which is well above the minimum requirements.
    Is this just me or is this the norm ? If it's going to be like that then I've wasted my money on this resource hungry program.
    Really impressed by this, the quality and usability is just fantastic. One small feature request - I wish it was possible to 'lock' the zoom to prevent accidental zooming when trying to scroll, it seems to want to zoom all the time. Alternatively if they could tone down the zoom sensitivity a lot that would also do the trick.
    I'm a bit torn on this app:

1. Rdp is usable already thanks to the community, and will probably be in preware before long. I definitely need rdp for work, so splashtop really only fits in at home.
    2. Concerned about CPU use on the host - 100% of one core? Really? Rdp and vnc don't have even close to that overhead.
    3. $10 is a little steep for an app that meets only part of my needs... If it did rdp and vnc too, then I'd pay $20

still, I bet splashtop works really well and I do want to support webOS devs while we gave any
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    If you think $9.99 is steep but you really want it, I would go ahead and get it now. I thought I saw somewhere where it said that it is going up to $20.
    Having a bit of issues. Have all the 3 ports open in my router as I've used this on the Pre before. Discovers the PC fine with the email login. Connects and asks for passcode but then says failed to connect. Streamer is running fine. Tried changing port to next one up, same prob. Even weirder, I tried while I simultaneously have a RDP session open to the same PC, and then it worked fine, so I had both of them running. Why would it work while RDP'd to it but not without? Any ideas? This is not LAN, this is Internet btw.

It seems like the Splashtop streamer service is only staying running while I'm RDP'd to this PC. Seems like if I close my RDP session, it's stopping the Splashtop service until I remote back on. Maybe Splashtop needs to be the 1st thing to remote to a PC before an RDP session. I'll try a reboot during lunch and Splashtop first..
    Last edited by volcom45; 09/26/2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    $9.99(for now 50% off), just look in the catalog under New....you'll find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Ouch, that's pretty steep for a tablet app. Maybe it will pop up on one of HP's giveaways.
    Less than a trip to a fast food place with even one of my kids with, or by myself if I'm hungry, I was really hurting for a good app of this type so I clicked on purchase with hardly a second thought. I'm really cheap so always have some second thoughts but didn't stop me. Hadn't actually had a chance to try it yet but looking forward to it and have high hopes.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I'm confused about all the "too expensive"; "why $10 and not $3?!?!" comments. An iPad with Splashtop costs well around $500 + $3, and a TP plus Splashtop (for many of you) $99 + $9.99. So that's $503 vs $108.99!!!

Just consider that for $109 you have a device that you can run Windows 7, Windows 8 (see above!), Windows 9...etc. Don't have to lug your laptop around anymore - $10 is AT LEAST the price of a crappy laptop bag, not to mention a session with your local chiropractor.

For those worried about your TouchPad suddently falling into dust due to no further HP support, $10 will buy you reassurance of its relevance and compatibility for years to come *without* further webOS updates!

$9.99 = Obsolence insurance / futureproof update

tdlr: Splashtop has embraced the TouchPad in spite of HP. Let's throw money at them!

EDIT: $99 + $4.99 = $103.99!!! Futureproofing at 50% off!!! (BTW, I didn't have time to buy since I was busy posting, and instead snagged Splashtop HD at the $4.99. But feel free to ***** and moan, the rest of ya. ;-)
    Last edited by Goyena; 09/28/2011 at 07:13 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Mac.World, are you seeing the grey box issue I described? I'm on Snow Leopard on the desktop... Also I can't get scrolling to work at all.

UPDATE: the grey box problem seems to have gone away, and replaced with a spinning "connection lost, reconnecting" graphic that never reconnected. I had to throw away the card and relaunch the app...
    I do not see the grey box. The issues I get are a black screen when trying to connect to my iMac with Lion. On my MBP with Snow Leopard, I get a good connection. But as you have noticed scrolling with swipe gestures doesn't work very well. I scroll using the side bar.

It sounds to me like a reinstall on your computer may be in order to see if that clears it up. When I first got Splashtop to use with my iPad, I had to conduct a reinstall the first time to get everything to work properly. Don't know why.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    my touchpad is out for repair so I guess I can't purchase it now while it's discounted?

phrased differently, (how) can i purchase apps without my TP?
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    So, a question. How does it work if I am away from my house? How do I connect to my home PC?

Alan
    This may be answered later, I just started reading the thread, but the app gives you the choice of connecting to your computer via 1) your network or 2) via the internet.

I did it via the internet & it works great w/both my iMac & MacBook Pro. I imagine the quality would be somewhat dependent on internet speed (?), so I am not sure how well it will work on the road--a lot of the hotels w/free internet locations have extremely low connection speeds (300-500Kbps) vs most home networks (5 and above Mbps).
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I'm confused about all the "too expensive"; "why $10 and not $3?!?!" comments. An iPad with Splashtop costs well around $500 + $3, and a TP plus Splashtop (for many of you) $99 + $9.99. So that's $503 vs $108.99!!!

Just consider that for $109 you have a device that you can run Windows 7, Windows 8 (see above!), Windows 9...etc. Don't have to lug your laptop around anymore - $10 is AT LEAST the price of a crappy laptop bag, not to mention a session with your local chiropractor.

For those worried about your TouchPad suddently falling into dust due to no further HP support, $10 will buy you reassurance of its relevance and compatibility for years to come *without* further webOS updates!

$9.99 = Obsolence insurance / futureproof update

tdlr: Splashtop has embraced the TouchPad in spite of HP. Let's throw money at them!
    You are missing the point. The same app should be the same price on all mobile platforms.

Could you imagine paying $5 for a DVD that you'll use on a Sony dvd player and $15 for the SAME dvd that you'll be playing on a Toshiba dvd player? That would be outrageous.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Now anyone that says apps aren't important to the success of a tablet are fooling themselves. I've been using Splashtop for a long time now via my iPad, and it's finally nice that it came to the touchpad. Now if more developers would start making more apps!

For those having issues with screen resolution or connectivity and are using a Mac with OSX Lion, that's the problem. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard to get Splashtop working properly, even though they claim it is Lion compatible now. That is just one possibility.
    Works for me on Lion for both my MacBook Pro & iMac.
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    You are missing the point. The same app should be the same price on all mobile platforms.

Could you imagine paying $5 for a DVD that you'll use on a Sony dvd player and $15 for the SAME dvd that you'll be playing on a Toshiba dvd player? That would be outrageous.
    Maybe but there are no other RDP client for the TouchPad at the moment while there are many many on the other platforms.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Anybody can test this app over Internet? I would like to access my work server and computer from home. Let me know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I connected via the internet to my MacBook Pro & iMac. Both personal machines.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Splashtop is $5 for Android and $3 for the iPad. I know the user base for the TouchPad is a lot smaller than the other but still... that's a big difference in price.

It sounds like a great app and truth be told I was looking forward to getting it but $10 is a lot to drop on an app for a tablet. Someone needs to do a video review so I can talk myself into the purchase.
    I paid for it w/the $50 credit given to me by HP so it cost $0--cheaper than both Android & the iPad.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Did a very quick vid to show it in action, not a great video but gives you the idea

Mine also reduces my desktop size, but when I close SplashTop on the TP my desktop goes back to normal. Which is nice
    mike5 and dirtyfingers like this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Full review of Splashtop, now available in the App Catalog. Photo gallery included showing the TouchPad used to control both Windows 7 and OS X systems. This is a sweet app.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/26/2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fixed title
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast