Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    Am I allowed to get mad at this price drop?

*sigh*

I kinda feel let down.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Price drop weird? I don't think so. They managed to get everyone that's been waiting for it, to pay "full(50% off)" price. There were roughly 190 reviews by the time they changed the price. Then they knock it down another 25% and snag all those sitting on the fence.

Considering they have the same app for other OS's...I'd hardly think they are "starving" developers. This was simply a nice gesture by them,(to write up a webOS app), and made them some more money.It took them roughly a month to make/port, more icing on the cake for them.

You can debate whether or not it was ethical, but I think if you paid $5, or $10, or even $20.....you're still getting your money's worth.(and I paid $10.....guess I'll just buy te less coffees this week to make up for it )
    I know I shouldn't but I feel kinda stupid that the price dropped in half before I even got to test it. I mean there were folks trying to tell me the price was too high and I wouldn't listen, sigh.

I hope, expect, to get my monies worth but do feel slightly foolish and very likely won't jump so fast for a product again not matter how much I want it. And no matter what I pay for it, I won't be posting about it and defending the price again. I'd normally think the chances were good for a price match in this sort of situation but my experience with the HP App Store so far don't indicate that's likely.

Oh well, lesson learned. And if it was a mistake, at least it was a "positive mistake" in that it wasn't that much and went towards supporting a product I hope will work well for me and othrs.
    Last edited by texasflood; 09/26/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    funb0b likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Seriously not happy that in a matter of hours the price has halved, not cool, I will be very weary of any further products.

I re-rated the app in app store to 1 star, as I feel cheated and also contacted the vendor to ask what they are prepared to do, I urge all early adopters to do the same.

A little consumer action may spur them into action.

Feel a bit cheated :-(
    app ratings should be ONLY for the app performance. Downgrading because of an issue with business ethics is pretty ****ty, it downgrades overall ratings and it ****es me off when I have to read reviews that tell me little about the product, the devs put a lot of work into it and it is a great app.

Atleast my husband can get it cheaper than I did.

I did email to ask the reason why they dropped price.
    So I have the streamer up and running for my other tablets.
    Just got it installed on the touchpad..
    I am away from home tethering from my phone..
    Screen looks so nice and it letting me install SWTOR beta

This plus the amazon sideload have made me so happy
    Can this work from my 2010 MBP to Touchpad or do I need to bootcamp? I tried googling it but now sure if that's outdated info, thanks!
    ****issue resolved, opened the 3 ports, rebooted, all working great***

I can login locally and am able to connnect. but when I try to from outside network to my network, I am unable to

Connecting to your computer....
    On my Pc it shows WebOS is connected to this computer
    nothing happens. and on my touchpad it shows Splashtop remote, cannot connect to your computer.
    *if this does not work this app is not really usefull*

I tried it locally and it works ofcourse..No issue connecting locally..

I did disable firewall, added rule did port forwarding, nothing.
    Last edited by snowwhitie; 09/26/2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Issue resolved-Opened port and rebooted/retried
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoxcx View Post
    app ratings should be ONLY for the app performance. Downgrading because of an issue with business ethics is pretty ****ty, it downgrades overall ratings and it ****es me off when I have to read reviews that tell me little about the product, the devs put a lot of work into it and it is a great app.

Atleast my husband can get it cheaper than I did.

I did email to ask the reason why they dropped price.
    I agree with this. At the moment I'm a bit torqued but I would not take it out in a product review. I am even more torqued by folks who do that, rate a product down because the price dropped, took too long to ship or some crud like that. Or the hundreds of folks who ignorantly rated the touchpad down on Amazon because they were ignorantly complaining about onsale in the product review.
    $5 dollars spent unnecessarily isn't that big a deal at the end of the day, and I decided at the outset it was worth $10 to me, but it's still bad business practice to imply that it's going up to $20 soon, then they drop it to $5. Very hard to understand that at launch.

Meanwhile....

Also mutes the desktop machine while connected. So only the touchpad has sound.
    That's controlled by a setting on the server side - you can have it not mute the PC if you want.

It looks like nobody here has hit the following issue yet but I'll post it anyway - if you use "Airfoil for Windows" using the "Instant Hijack" option on the same PC as you try to install the Splashtop server on, Splashtop will fail to complete its installation. You have to disable "Instant Hijack" first (and probably reboot the PC) then install Splashtop, then re-enable "Instant Hijack".

Once you've got over that hurdle you can do stuff like using Splashtop to control the PC, but use Airfoil to send the audio to your hifi via an Airport Express, or whatever other device you send to with Airfoil.

I prefer the TeamViewer way of doing things in terms of the user interface, but Splashtop is definitely way faster in terms of keeping the remote screen up to date eg on video.
    Quote Originally Posted by funb0b View Post
    Seriously not happy that in a matter of hours the price has halved, not cool, I will be very weary of any further products.

I re-rated the app in app store to 1 star, as I feel cheated and also contacted the vendor to ask what they are prepared to do, I urge all early adopters to do the same.

A little consumer action may spur them into action.

Feel a bit cheated :-(
    Well, that's hitting them where it hurts which is how to get results I guess. But I personally think it's wrong to rate the product down for such reasons. You're torqued, I get it, so am I, just seems wrong to me. Maybe I'm being naive again like I was this morning when I bought this,
    clayclay350 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I'm a bit torn on this app:

1. Rdp is usable already thanks to the community, and will probably be in preware before long. I definitely need rdp for work, so splashtop really only fits in at home.
    2. Concerned about CPU use on the host - 100% of one core? Really? Rdp and vnc don't have even close to that overhead.
    3. $10 is a little steep for an app that meets only part of my needs... If it did rdp and vnc too, then I'd pay $20

still, I bet splashtop works really well and I do want to support webOS devs while we gave any
    All my cores are hovering at 5 to 11 percent on an old phenom 2 x3 @3.0 ghz. Thats with firefox opened too while typing this.
    The app just dropped prices to 4.99. Oh so worth it. I installed the streamer on my mac and vista and it works great. Really can't tell the difference. Just increased my productivity.
    sorli likes this.
    Well, that's hitting them where it hurts which is how to get results I guess. But I personally think it's wrong to rate the product down for such reasons. You're torqued, I get it, so am I, just seems wrong to me. Maybe I'm being naive again like I was this morning when I bought this,
    The rating system should be used to rate the ENTIRE experience of purchasing, using and getting support for the product.

I had a bad experience with an android app that cost close to $8, and the developer said it was "on sale" and then left everyone with an app that didn't work a few days later. I wish more people 1-star poor business practice in order to prevent other users from being screwed. In my case, I was fortunate to get a refund through google, but it took months...

Some might see that as being unfair to the developer, but those who play nice won't have a problem.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    funb0b likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeNoMiZeD View Post
    Can this work from my 2010 MBP to Touchpad or do I need to bootcamp? I tried googling it but now sure if that's outdated info, thanks!
    It's working fine with OS X! Just go on Splashtop website and download the server file
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloBigwater View Post
    PC, MAC???

We need more linux apps for these devices...

This is off topic, but you could just installl ubuntu and you desktop manager of choice on your touchpad, run it in a card, and see if a remote desktop client works from there.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/26/2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    there are 3 port to open on your router to connect via lan or discovery. They are TCP 6783, 6784 and 6785 by default. Reboot your router and you're done. It should resolve almost all connection issues.

I put this entry in bold since it's a major known issue that people seems to always encounter when behind a router or firewall.
    yeah that's what I did to make it work. However, I thought some of the point of this app was to uPNP autoconfig your router. Maybe its just my crap actiontek.

--Chris
    <thread moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    The rating system should be used to rate the ENTIRE experience of purchasing, using and getting support for the product.

I had a bad experience with an android app that cost close to $8, and the developer said it was "on sale" and then left everyone with an app that didn't work a few days later. I wish more people 1-star poor business practice in order to prevent other users from being screwed. In my case, I was fortunate to get a refund through google, but it took months...

Some might see that as being unfair to the developer, but those who play nice won't have a problem.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Well, that's a point of view. Seems to me like a product review should be for the product. Many sellers, on HP App Store, ebay, etc, want to be contacted before leaving a poor rating, indicating an understanding that other issues can spill over into these ratings. At least if I understand correctly the HP App store rating can be changed if the issue is resolved unlike other systems that are essentially carved in stone and can never be changed.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Sorry for starting a new thread on this app, but another 50% price off just after it dropped at $9.99 seemed to warrant it. Don't know how long the price will last, so if you interested, go for it. (I did.)
    So, after installing and running into minor issues. all resolved now. I'm loving this
    I am able to remote into 2-3 of my PC/Laptops and do what I need to do.
    I was able to watch a video, surf web and rdp another session within my pc and it was pretty smooth.

I did this locally and it was great
    I did this externally using someone else network it was great
    I did this using HTC sprint 4g and it was lil choppy but that is to be expected due to bandwith and trying to do so many things

Pretty happy with it.

Yes, I did have to open up the 3 ports listed 6783, 6784 and 6785 and port forward on my router and all that good stuff

Used VLC to play all my video on my PC and watched it. Tried a 3 gig file 12 gig file and 20+ gig file and did not have an issue. did only watch 1-2 min and forwarded to see if there were any hiccups and nothing really and it only used 25% of my Main PC resource!. So does not see to be a that much of a resource hog
    I found I didn't have to open any ports in order for it to work. I don't know why, but it wasn't necessary for me. Through both home WiFi and with freeTether.