Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    There is a major bug with Touchpad and WiFi as you can see in the link at bottom. There are various scenarios:

- Sometimes people have only one of their many Touchpads with WiFi not working
    - Different people either have it fixed with various resets/wifi reconfigs/etc. or for some WiFi is never fixed
    - Looks like when router firmware is changed some stop working as it is defaulted to N band
    - etc.

The root cause seems to be TP can not handle N band as configs change in time. In my case the b/g/n router had a change of firmware and the TP kept working fine. Then few days later when no new patch/etc. was installed it suddnely stopped working completely one morning.

Needed:
    We basically need a patch that lets the WiFi to be set (limited) to b / g / n depending on user request and conditions.

It will be appreciated by numeros people around the world. This is the post that gave me the idea:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3177128

Thank you.
    Last edited by washere; 09/26/2011 at 10:19 AM.
    I have a Cisco E3000 and am using the 2.4GHz N band with WPA AES and have had NO noticable issues with wireless on my touchpad. The 5GHz band was problematic but it is so for everything due to range problems, not isolated to the touchpad. If there is a major bug, it's not biting me as of yet. Fate tends to make on a liar after making a statement like the above so knock on wood hopefully things stay stable for me.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes this can hit anyone anytime and one machine will work but another in the same house will not.

Numerous scenarios and HP admit it is a major bug that can hit anyone suddenly if reading from page 1 of above link:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Quote Originally Posted by washere View Post
    Yes this can hit anyone anytime and one machine will work but another in the same house will not.

HP admit it is a major bug that can hit anyone suddenly
    Do you have a link to an HP knowledge base article or other info about this bug? Would like to understand it better. Hasn't happened yet but if it's really a bug acknowledged by HP maybe it's just a matter of time.
    There is a major bug with Touchpad and WiFi as you can see in the link at bottom. There are various scenarios:

- Sometimes people have only one of their many Touchpads with WiFi not working
    - Different people either have it fixed with various resets/wifi reconfigs/etc. or for some WiFi is never fixed
    - Looks like when router firmware is changed some stop working as it is defaulted to N band
    - etc.

The root cause seems to be TP can not handle N band as configs change in time. In my case the b/g/n router had a change of firmware and the TP kept working fine. Then few days later when no new patch/etc. was installed it suddnely stopped working completely one morning.

Needed:
    We basically need a patch that lets the WiFi to be set (limited) to b / g / n depending on user request and conditions.

It will be appreciated by numeros people around the world. This is the post that gave me the idea:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3177128

Thank you.
    Not sure how much help this will be but, I had something similar happen to me today. I have a 32GB TouchPad and running WiFi over a Buffalo WHR-G54 running tomato firmware. I changed the channel from 4 to 10 last night. This morning, my TouchPad wouldn't connect; it would list the network, but just wouldn't connect until I re-configured the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by cydetu View Post
    Not sure how much help this will be but, I had something similar happen to me today. I have a 32GB TouchPad and running WiFi over a Buffalo WHR-G54 running tomato firmware. I changed the channel from 4 to 10 last night. This morning, my TouchPad wouldn't connect; it would list the network, but just wouldn't connect until I re-configured the network.
    That hasn't happened to me on the touchpad but I observed that exact same behavior on our iPad when we first got it.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    KB link I do not know but proably non existent & irrelevant as HP admit problem but do not care. But from the other thread you see HP acknowledges this to be a problem as diff users foundout. As to solutions: As I said there I fixed my problem before posting anything here or elsewhere & also reading through the other long thread we can see diff configs work or do not work for different people and some have tried everything and it's still not fixed for them and the hardware nature of problem is such that it is inconsistent and can pop up at any time.

When I say numerous scenarios it means no one solution has worked for all and the errratic nature of the problem and variable timing when it pops up and various solutions or no fix at all means this admitted bug by HP can hit anyone anytime. It is a chaotic system behavior trait. setting the b/g/n is the best hope but might not fix it for all. Also as you can see in that thread people reset to factory by webosdoc & still didn't work (so did I) and some have many TPs and only one suddenly stops working even after reset, like the guy who has 4 and 1 suddenly stopped. I have 2 and 1 stopped. Looks like hardware/sys firmware instability as HP admits in other thread to inquirers. So disabling n works for many and in some cases going WEP is needed too (in my case an extra easy guest WEP network setup so router is unchanged for other devices) but some hve tried all these and still not fixed for them as we read there. It has nothing to do with other routers/configs etc. otherwise our other TPs would stop working too, they didn't. If anyone has any new solution, please post there for those still with problem. But there are numerous suggestions there in 14 pages already. None fixes all cases as the erratic bug is built into TP.
    KB link I do not know but proably non existent & irrelevant as HP admit problem but do not care. But from the other thread you see HP acknowledges this to be a problem as diff users foundout.
    I had already read a lot of that thread and just reviewed it for what I might have missed. I had missed some and maybe missed more in my review as I didn't read every word.

A user named HardBeatZ who apparently works for HP said it had been logged into the HP bug tracking system and to send logs to him. This indicates a willingness to look at the reported problems, but I really saw nothing major come out of that. No admission of anything from HP and HardBeatZ hasn't posted here in a month.

Various different people reported discussing issues with HP support. The only report of HP supposedly admitting to any issue had to reconnecting to networks that do not broadcast SSIDs. I saw no specific bug or other admission from HP. Maybe I missed something, if so please correct me.

I was not able to determine what this major bug would be. What I did see was the same sort of general stuff I always see in wi-fi discussions - folks discovering TKIP is crap, that 5GHz has a very limited range, auto channel selection tends to cause problems, that older limited routers sometimes need to be upgraded, that the touchpad probably doesn't have the best antenna being a compact device, stuff like that.

Having said that I see nothing wrong with a utility to configure the touchpad wi-fi, what can it hurt?

The post you linked to above and some like it have to do with the D-Link DIR-655. As I understand it, this router is over 4 years old and based on a draft-N spec not fully compatible with the final and current standard. Now it has a good reputation as a good solid performer as it was one of the first 802.11N routers. But it also has a reputation of an aging classic showing some compatibility quirks with newer equipment. If setting the DIR-655 to G only resolves the issue, I don't find that surprising really given the draft-N spec. So yes it's quite possible that setting the Touchpad to G only might also resolve the issue while allowing the router to still service the N clients that aren't having issues. So that all makes sense but don't think it's really fair to say this is a touchpad bug.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    hi tex, thanks but 1- I solved my problem before posting anything anywhere 2- in the thread I linked I merely gave credit for the idea for this request, his particular router or the numerous routers in that thread is not what I ever referenced nor the point as you will see below. 3- If you read through that thread you see ppl contacting HP who admitted the problem, if you're looking for an admission in WSJ or wired etc., then HP or such corps, usually won't for a dumped product. 4- can anyone reading here who has ideas for fix a) read all of that thread as all suggested here is already there but still some have the problem & b) if they did somehow come up with an original idea not in that long thread then post it there where many including developers are still having the issue, pointless to post redundant suggestions here or new ones as most of those won't follow this and there is the proper protocol to post such and debate how they can all easily fix their problem with your suggestion.

This issue can hit any to anytime despite others the same house or reset. As I said in point 3 here is a couple of refs in that thread, please read that whole thread before suggestions and if any new ideas post there so it won't be wasted. I have no time but read many other admissions by HP in US & Europe to users, if you have time search online for yourself for more like I did over the weekend:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3116690
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3160856
    Last edited by washere; 09/27/2011 at 05:09 AM.
    If you read through that thread you see ppl contacting HP who admitted the problem
    I still don't that HP admitted a problem outside of the hidden SSID issue, a fairly common problem. Stating that the HP engineering team is engaged & looking at logs or taking an reported issue to a supervisor is not an admission of any bug. It just means HP is -claiming- to be responsive to complaints.

please read that whole thread before suggestions and if any new ideas post there so it won't be wasted
    I did read the whole thing as best I could. While not new ideas I realize, I'll just summarize some of the helpful things I read that also work well for me.

Looked like many folks had been using TKIP and switched to AES encryption with better results. I would strongly recommend this as TKIP caused me great problems years ago having nothing to do with HP and AES resolved that issue, it's not only more secure but much more stable. Also consider manually selecting the channel not auto, try 20MHz 2.4GHz over 40MHz 2.4GHz or 5GHz for improved range, perhaps try WPA over WPA2 for improved compatibility (not sure this one will help just something I do).

These (and perhaps other settings I'm not thinking of at the moment) are lessons I've learned with other wireless devices having nothing to do with the Touchpad, just from reading about similar issues in wi-fi forums for years. Consider checking a forum focused on your router rather then the touchpad, like the vendor forums in DSLReports, what can it hurt? Wi-fi is great but it's often far from plug & play and can have many issues.

So far I've had no noticeable problems connecting with my Touchpad, knock on wood. Well except when I first got it and tried to use 5GHz, should have known better than that as the range of 5GHz doesn't cover my house well making it basically unusable unless you are very near the router. I have a Cisco E3000 router and IIRC one user in that thread resolved his touchpad issues by simply buying an E3000 like mine and his problems were solved.

But as I tried to say earlier, it really doesn't matter...

I think your patch request is a valid request either way, so I won't bog down your thread with my postings any further. Good luck with your patch request!
    Last edited by texasflood; 09/27/2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    please read my 2 links in last post, your expertise might be needed in the proper thread though what you say is not new as I said.
    please read my 2 links in last post, your expertise might be needed in the proper thread though what you say is not new as I said.
    Thanks, I did read those two links before writing my last post.

Again, good luck with your patch request!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    solved mine before posting here or elsewhere but thanks
    solved mine before posting here or elsewhere but thanks
    Do you mind sharing how you solved your issue?

I know I said I'd shut up, and I will, honest.

But I just thought of something about the links you posted above that I have to say. I really see no smoking gun in either link. Regarding the second link, if you read the next page in that thread, the same user, ggendel, posted the below indicating that he had concluded that it wasn't a Touchpad bug after all.

"I upgraded from an Airport Extreme v4 to an Airport Extreme v5 and most of my issues have gone away. The older model must have been interfering with my other routers because I got the hangups when connected to any of them. It was when some of my other devices started having similar problems that I decided that it might not be all the TouchPad's fault.
    I also have anecdotal confirmation that removing patches does help. Now that the hangups happen so infrequently, I'll start adding them back one at a time.
    "
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    1- Marcus of HP says in link they are aware of this problem and HP team is working on it and the other link shows he has been elevated to stage 3 status with HP support. Research more online, I have no more time to spell it out more and other users there have also contated HP.

2- My fix is just 2nd post below the link in my OP in the thread you claim you have read properly.

3- If you think you have some new thing to say say it in that proper thread so people read it.

4- If you think all those people are somehow ignorant of basics, some of whom are IT professionals, then tell them they are imagining a non problem as a problem.

5- You do not address the points that even when reset to factory settings by webosdoc, that particular TP in one household still doesn't work but the other, as in my second or the other people with 2 in that thread or one guy with 3 others working, WORKS. So your points are not only repeats of what others have said there long ago but also pointless.

6- If you have an idea write in the proper threads or open a new one in the proper subforum so others can use your great insights.
    Thanks.

I read all this just have a different interpretation than you. I tried my best to explain my reasoning.

Just because HP says they're working on a complaint or escalated to level 3 support doesn't mean there is a confirmed bug.

As I stated in my last post, ggendel, who said he had escalated the issue to level 3 concluded it was a problem with his router, not the touchpad.

And I did read your post with the fix but wasn't sure that was the permanent fix as you'd stated "only 30 minutes so far, hope keeps up". Glad it worked for you.

I really don't want to argue with you. My posts have been responses to yours and I tried to be as careful and detailed as I am able. You keep implying I haven't done my research online and you have to spell things out for me which is untrue and somewhat insulting. You also tell me to suggest my ideas in other threads where it can help. I have done and continue to do so. As you obviously don't appreciate my input and want to have the last word, I'll let you have it. I'm done. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    - You avoid the Marcus quote and level3 means they are acknowledging it too. Numerous ppl there and elsewhere have been n touch with HP too.

- Also you never replied to multi TP owners with one not working.

- That is why I enumerate my points when replies are inconsistent.

- Same with my emphasis that everything should be in its proper place or rather thread. In this case if you really believed in your words, it would help those suffering in ignorance there too.

Good luck to you too.