1.    #1  
    Hello,

I've downloaded and installed the Kalemsoft Media Player version 4.0 from the HP App Store. It works good playing the MP4 videos I've ripped from DVDs and installed on the TouchPad using Handbrake.

I'd also like to try streaming. I've downloaded, but not installed, the Streaming app from the Kalemsoft website. I have no idea how streaming works. I'd like to see some definitive guide on how to set-up streaming and also how this works. Can anyone point me to such a guide. I've used google looking for such a guide, but I found not much.

I'm running Win7 Home Premium on a modern PC, but no dedicated server. I have a modem/router supplied by Comcast with a cable TV service. My PC is conected to the modem/router by cable.

Hope to hear soon.

Fritzie
    It's pretty simple if your PC and TP are on the same network.
    After installing the software, you have to make an account.
    Then after, you're given the option to choose devices for live streaming (i.e stream webcam to your TP) and then select folders you want to stream (folders containing the videos you want to watch).
    After those are set up, begin streaming by clicking on the radio tower icon on the left to begin steaming.

Now all you have to do is open the media player in your TP, go to Settings, Account Settings and enter the username and password you created earlier. Then go back to the main menu and hit Remote Media. It will show you the folders that you selected earlier.
    Last edited by Account; 09/26/2011 at 05:58 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Account,

Thanks for the reply. You say, "It's pretty simple if your PC and TP are on the same network". My PC and TouchPad are connected to the same modem/router, the PC by cable and the TP by wireless. I have no network set-up per se.

Do I have set-up networking, as in setting it up in Windows, or is my present configuration sufficient? Maybe you mean the Streaming app will set-up a network, and all I need to have is the two devices connected to the modem/router, as indicated above.

Do I have to make changes to the modem/router or firewall settings? Getting settings like port forwarding to work can be challenging. I'm only using the Windows 7 built-in firewall.

Other than those points, I think I'm good. It does appear simple indeed.

Thanks again,

Fritzi
    You don't need to set up any networking or anything. As long as your PC and TP is connected to the same modem/router (like mine is), then it will work fine. My PC is connected to my router via cable and TP via wifi.
  5.    #5  
    Account,

Great! I'm going to get cracking on this streaming thing.

One last question: Using my TP, will this set-up enable me to connect to my streaming content on the PC from a remote location, like from a Wi-Fi hotspot somewhere down the road from my residence?

I hate setting up port forwarding and having it not work. Been there, done that!

Fritzi
    Last edited by Fritzi; 09/26/2011 at 06:18 AM.
    There is no need for your TP and PC to be connected to the same router. I have streamed episodes of Dr. Who off of my home PC using the Kalemsoft Streamer while sitting in a Starbucks and connected to their wifi.

When you install the Kalemsoft streamer, it may want to first set up "Channels", which if you have a TV capture card like I do, can be used to stream live television to the TP. If you skip past this, it will get to a section that wants you to navigate to where your local media that you want to stream is located. I selected this folder, and then after I connected my TP to the streamer, I was able to stream all my content from that folder, no matter where I am connected to the internet. It is super slick.
  7.    #7  
    rcs914,

I was hoping someone would say that. I can't wait to install this streaming app to try it out. Thanks all. I think I have all the information I need to get crackin.

Fritzi
    I have a issue with kalemsoft media streamer. I can't seem to be able to create an account.
    I get the following message (nearly instantly) when trying :"Could not connect with the KalemSoft server"
    Kalemsoft is configured as allow all in my firewall, port are forwarded in my router. I cant find out what's wrong.

If anybody has an idea ...
    Thanks in advance
    F
    Quote Originally Posted by fabhawk View Post
    I have a issue with kalemsoft media streamer. I can't seem to be able to create an account.
    I get the following message (nearly instantly) when trying :"Could not connect with the KalemSoft server"
    Kalemsoft is configured as allow all in my firewall, port are forwarded in my router. I cant find out what's wrong.

If anybody has an idea ...
    Thanks in advance
    F
    I had the same issue on Windows 7, I kept receiving the port forwarding error from KalemSoft.

When Kalemsoft media streamer is installed, it puts an inbound rule in Windows firewall. You need to add an outbound rule as well to get it to work, just open Windows firewall and go to "Advanced Settings". Check the outbound rules, if the Kalemsoft rule doesn't exist just duplicate the inbound rule. Once I did that I can stream remotely no problem.
    i want to try to stream my media stored on home pc from outside home network..
    assuming all ports for this are enabled,, what do i do to go to my ip addy etc?

thanx

edit:: please delete.. im gonna post in the more current thread..

sorry, ty
    Last edited by amkaos; 12/16/2011 at 01:41 PM.