Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Update 1/13/2012:

Links taken down, no longer exist.

This functionality became the "Shortcut Launcher" product. So now instead of hand editing and customizing a browser for each site, you can now create shortcuts.

To get Shortcut Launcher go to the webOS catalog at:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...ortcutlauncher

With Enyo for the TouchPad I was able to create 11 apps for the TouchPad. Really they are like shortcuts (save to launcher) but with icons and address/argument parameters being sent.
    Last edited by twack; 01/16/2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Mike54321 and mpressive like this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    will you be releasing them to the public?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    deleted due to link no longer exist
    Last edited by twack; 01/13/2012 at 02:00 PM.
    <threads merged>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/25/2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Sierratop likes this.
    so... @twack... when do we get to see those apps? i know which ones i'm going to be d/l right away already!
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    so... @twack... when do we get to see those apps? i know which ones i'm going to be d/l right away already!
    Can't you just make those same apps yourself by selecting "Add To Launcher?"
    I know how to add a web page to the launcher on the Sprint Pre, but the same option does not seem to be available on the TouchPad

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Can't you just make those same apps yourself by selecting "Add To Launcher?"
    MUNOGABBAGABBA likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanrealm View Post
    I know how to add a web page to the launcher on the Sprint Pre, but the same option does not seem to be available on the TouchPad
    Click the button with the little curved arrow. I promise the option is there.
    Wow... I guess I never read the manual or tried that button. I feel silly now, but a BIG THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Click the button with the little curved arrow. I promise the option is there.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    The real point to this thread was to show how you automatically have a ton of apps by the virtue of having webOS itself. On an iPad many websites do not function correctly. Hence the need for creating apps to get around this fact. Plus, how can you charge .99 or 1.99 for something that comes with the OS? LOL, the opposite of the proverbial "Maytag Man".

A case in point; Several days ago Pandora upgraded their website to HTML 5. Try to view that site on your "iSomething", no joy, you need an app. Us lucky folks on our webOS devices saw it just work. We allready had an app in the catalog, but there is no real functional difference between the app and the website using our HTML 5 capable stock browser.

So when you hear someone say that webOS has very few apps, just remember you don't need as many. There are thousands and thousands of websites you can view on a webOS device that you can't view on other devices. If you counted those as "gimmie apps", I bet we have close to, or more than iFruit owners.

IMHO,
    twack
    Last edited by twack; 09/25/2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    The real point to this thread was to show how you automatically have a ton of apps by the virtue of having webOS itself. On an many websites do not function correctly. Hence the need for apps had to be created to get around this fact. Plus, how can you charge .99 or 1.99 for something that comes with the OS? LOL, the opposite of the proverbial "Maytag Man".

A case in point; Several days ago Pandora upgraded their website to HTML 5. Try to view that site on your "iSomething", no joy, you need an app. Us lucky folks on our webOS devices saw it just work. We allready had an app in the catalog, but there is no real functional difference between the app and the website using our HTML 5 capable stock browser.

So when you hear someone say that webOS has very few apps, just remember you don't need as many. There are thousands and thousands of websites you can view on a webOS devices that you can't view on other devices. If you counted those as "gimmie apps", I bet we have close to, or more than iFruit owners.

IMHO,
    twack
    Shhhhh! Be careful! You may alert Stevie J's TouchPad hit squad. They are in the forums right now ready to pounce on anyone that doesn't worship the sheer awesomeness of the fruit devices. Shhhhh! Flash is bad! Just say that over and over again until you believe it. Shhhhh! You need apps to view normal websites, remember that. Shhhhh! We don't want you to admit that our browser can't view a lot of websites. Just remember it's faster. It's faster! Tell your friends!

Seriously, thanks for the tip! I'm going to add Google Music. Have you seen the new Google Maps website. It looks good on the TouchPad also. There is some functionality thats broken (like clicking on a phone number and having it dial), but it works well.
    Assuming they are just web pages you have added to the launcher how are making the icons? I've been searching all day and having no luck. Thanks
    I forgot you can do that. Cool. Also is there a way to add a link like that and not have the address bar?
    Since no one is being very clear and assumes everyone knows what you are talking about:

You have to go to a webpage in the browser - THEN, use the button to the right of the refresh symbol and choose Add to Launcher. It adds a shortcut to that webpage to the Favorites page in your launcher.

I can't figure out how to change the icon though either.
    I was just about to ask how we can choose what the shortcut icon looks like
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarion View Post
    I was just about to ask how we can choose what the shortcut icon looks like
    You can pull up whatever icon you want to use in the web browser, hit "add to launcher", and then just change the title and address to whatever website you want it to be when it prompts you.
    Quote Originally Posted by auto_exec View Post
    You can pull up whatever icon you want to use in the web browser, hit "add to launcher", and then just change the title and address to whatever website you want it to be when it prompts you.
    Yeah but it only seems to grab a certain portion of the screen for the icon. Everytime I try I end up with a rather crappy looking icon. It's either not a full icon or part of it is cut off, very messy. His are all nice looking.

Looks like older webOS on phones you can manipulate the image area, not so here.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    To create the icons and the "app" you need a little understanding of programming and syntax. But if you follow the instructions below, you should be able to make your own apps (shortcuts with icons).

To create the CNN Money for Tablet this is what I did:

1. Intalled the Enyo 3.0 SDK (https://developer.palm.com/content/api/dev-guide.html)
    2. Using Notepad++ I created the files show in the picture and code.
    3. The icon was found with google, searching for "cnn money png icon"
    4. Set the icon to 64px X 64px using picture manager
    5. Performed a "palm-package" (creates ipk file)
    6. Hooked up TP via USB per SDK instructions
    7. Performed a "palm-install"

look like what windows 8 is trying to do, huh?

Create all these files in one directory and name the directory something like "cnnmoney", or what ever your app is.

index.html (make sure it points to where you installed SDK's enyo)
    Code:
    <!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>CNN Money for Tablet</title>
    <script src="C:\HPwebOS\SDK\share\refcode\webos-framework\enyo\1.0\framework\enyo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$;&$gt$;&$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    &$lt$;/$head$&$gt$;
    &$lt$;$body$&$gt$;
    &$lt$;$script$ $type$=&$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$;&$gt$;
      $new$ $MyApps$.$MainView$();
    &$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    &$lt$;/$body$&$gt$;
    &$lt$;/$html$&$gt$;
    depends.jsjsjs
    Code:
    enyo.depends(
    	"mainview.jsjsjs&$quot$;
    );
    framework_config.json
    Code:
    {
      "logLevel": 0
    }
    appinfo.json
    Code:
    {
      "id": "com.twack.cnnmoney", //change this file to name the package what you want
      "version": "1.0.0",
      "vendor": "twack",
      "type": "web",
      "main": "index.html",
      "title": "CNN Money for Tablet", //change this title to name you want
      "uiRevision": "2",
      "icon": "cnnmoney.png" //change this to point to icon you use
    }
    mainview.jsjsjs
    Code:
    enyo.kind ({
    	name: "MyApps.MainView",
    	kind: "enyo.HtmlContent",
    	components: [
    				{name: "webView", kind: "WebView", className: "enyo-view"}
    				],

create: function() {
    		this.inherited(arguments);
    		console.log("Loaded View OK");
    		this.$.webView.setUrl("http://money.cnn.com/tablet") //this is where you add the link with arguments
    		this.$.webView.renderInto(document.body);
    	}
    });
    Last edited by twack; 09/25/2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Here is the "CNN Money for Tablet" IPK file all ready to go and install if you have preware + Internalz Pro, or your intall method of choice.

Update: Moved files to make it easier to DL. See this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3179526
    Last edited by twack; 09/26/2011 at 11:00 PM.
    Its nice to point out how easy it is to actually create something for the Touchpad (it's relatively easy, anyway, compared to many other systems out there).. But its not terribly more useful than just adding to launcher on a link. Sure it has the icon easily specified.

There are plenty of app wish lists out there. We should do a thread where we point out some things we DO have apps for. Although I do fear that the list would run out quickly.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast