webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Touchpad Browser "Error Unable to Open Page"
Touchpad Browser "Error Unable to Open Page"

Old 09/25/2011, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since day one with my Touchpad I've frequently been getting the Error Unable to Open Page message in the Standard Browser when clicking on links, pressing enter to submit a request or clicking on a button link.

It is very random and most times you can get it to work by retrying the link again(takes multiple attempts more often than not once you get the original error).

Since I was having these issues from the start(before installing preware/patches) I do not think it is related to any homebrew stuff. The only thing I had tweaked out of the box was to turn logging levels to minimal.

I know that some other people have had the same issue as there is another thread(posted in the wrong forum though) mentioning it. I don't know how widespread it is though.

Are other people experiencing these issues? Does anyone have any ideas about fixing it?
I started looking around via Xterm in the message logs but didn't see any entries being generated when I would encounter the error in the browser.

Does anyone have any ideas to help debug this issue. Is there a specific error log for the Touchpad broswer somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can provide. This really is the only real negative thing I've been encountering with the Touchpad. Otherwise it is a pretty sweet device especially after getting it all tweaked out via Preware.
Incindium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it is actually related to WiFi errors. I see it occasionally
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I thought about it being related to Wifi but from what I can tell my Wifi connection stays active.

Where would Wifi errors be logged?

It almost seems like there is a response timeout where if it doesn't get a response quickly enough it errors out. I am using mobile broadband as my primary internet(ATT 4g, HPSA+) so my ping times are going to be on the slow side occasionally.

Does anyone more familiar with the WebOs internals know if there is somewhere where the web request timeout value could be tweaked?
Incindium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

not sure where to find it. I just know that the error happens too fast to be a timeout.

hopefully HP is working on a bug fix to update/fix a few irritating bugs like this.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get this once in a while when hooked at the outer limits of a wifi connection. Even tho it's still connected to the wifi network I'm pretty sure it's renegotiating the connection or it's radio interference from a neighbor. For me the touchpad is my smoking buddy so I'm outside the house and router is at opposite end of house. Inside the house I never have a problem with this.

Things that can cause issues with wifi signal are:
Microwave
Cordless phones
Neighbors wifi
Signal strength
List goes on....
kenmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was browsing through my smartphone (EDGE only) the last few days and I got this error quite often. Havent had it much over wifi, so I guess its just an unstable or slow connection, maybe timeout.
dodnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I get it constantly. Annoying.
WOPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
not sure where to find it. I just know that the error happens too fast to be a timeout.

hopefully HP is working on a bug fix to update/fix a few irritating bugs like this.
I don't believe this to be WiFi related. It happens when links are scripted redirects like this-
BuyDig.com - Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i 18MP SLR Camera Body
the above is a 'get deal' link to buydig.com from logicbuy. Annoying. Maybe a 404?
damage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I see it but I believe my case to be DNS-related. While at home inside my own network it is somehow getting a WAN IP for my server rather than the internal address.
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2011, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage98 View Post
I don't believe this to be WiFi related. It happens when links are scripted redirects like this-
BuyDig.com - Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i 18MP SLR Camera Body
the above is a 'get deal' link to buydig.com from logicbuy. Annoying. Maybe a 404?
That link doesnt work for you? Or it does work? Its working on my touchpad is why I ask.
kenmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2011, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmitch View Post
That link doesnt work for you? Or it does work? Its working on my touchpad is why I ask.
that one does not work for me.
damage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2011, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Try this website on your touchpad and report back...it will not load on mine.

Women's Apparel & Fashion Accessories | Coldwater Creek
kipplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Doesn't work on mine either
joerice50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2012, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
Since day one with my Touchpad I've frequently been getting the Error Unable to Open Page message in the Standard Browser when clicking on links, pressing enter to submit a request or clicking on a button link.

Are other people experiencing these issues? Does anyone have any ideas about fixing it?
I started looking around via Xterm in the message logs but didn't see any entries being generated when I would encounter the error in the browser.

Does anyone have any ideas to help debug this issue. Is there a specific error log for the Touchpad broswer somewhere?
Everyone has been having that message ERROR when opening browser web-links on the HP TouchPad tablet, I used to get it every-time(until I decided to stashing my tablet on its original box for good). Anyways, the origin of the problem its the browser engine that WebOS uses on the 3.0 operating system and its code components. There seems to be glitch within the browser codes that will causes to get that ERROR TO LOAD PAGE. And trying to find a solution on the Homebrew community its useless, it appears that no-one has found a solution to that.

That ERROR its very strange because on the WebOS phones, we don't get that error in opening web-link pages on my Palm Pre 2. However, on the HP TouchPad browser its a different story it always happen that annoying message of ERROR. So, I think that we can narrow it down to the HP TouchPad browser engine might be the real culprit. The only way of ever fixing it(excuse my sarcasm), will be not to use the browser on your TouchPad or the second option go ahead and install Android with CM9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Very wishful thinking there Canta, but unfortunately that won't happen ever in HPWebOSLand.

HP has informed that TouchPad won't get anymore more updates, so sadly some users will have to live with a useless Touchpad OS that is broken and has thousands of bugs that won't get any fixed with any more future OS updates. Let's thanks HP for it, STUPID HP !!!!

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 09/24/2012 at 05:33 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2012, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Probably WiFi related, as mentioned above. Tried bringing the TP closer to the router?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Probably WiFi related, as mentioned above. Tried bringing the TP closer to the router?
I don't think that it might be related to any WiFi issue, because I have tried with different internet connection on several locations like coffee shops, library among others. And the same "load page error" message appears, when trying to open up links on the touchpad browser. So it may mean its the touchpad browser engine with the fault at here.

I think that one way to find out, might be to ask the people from this forum who have tried the LunaCE install to see if they found the same error message when browsing the web.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 09/24/2012 at 02:28 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I still get it on mine as well with LunaCE. Enabling and disabling wifi solves it but it's highly annoying. I tried playing with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with different channels. Problem occurs less frequently but is still there....
Old 09/24/2012, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I still get it on mine as well with LunaCE. Enabling and disabling wifi solves it but it's highly annoying. I tried playing with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with different channels. Problem occurs less frequently but is still there....
Thanks very much Herrie, for your information about the LunaCE install. I figured that something else was the culprit for that loading error message bug, just that it's weird that it can not be fixed somehow or creating patch for it. Well, let's hope that whenever Isis Engine update gets an official release that it won't bring that bug along with the browser to the TouchPad.
Old 09/24/2012, 04:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The strange thing is that it DOES seem to be wifi network related. I was in Hungary for a week with a lot less interference of other networks and I didn't require a single disable/enable wifi the whole week. However here at home I do require it quite often but then again got tons of wifi networks available here. Probably at least a dozen or so. Changing the channel to a not so commonky used one helps but doesn't solve it completely. It could also just be my D-link DIR-855 somehow. I'll do some tests with my cheap TP-Link access point when I find time (maybe in the weekend)
Old 09/24/2012, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
HP has informed that TouchPad won't get anymore more updates, so sadly some users will have to leave with a useless Touchpad OS that is broken and has thousands of bugs that won't get any fixed with any more future OS updates.
Hmm, can you please refer to an HP statement about this?
Thanks.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0