View Poll Results: Would you pay for a tethering app that can operate your DSLR camera?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It would be awesome.

25 92.59%
  • No. It would be impossible.

2 7.41%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UncleDirt
  • 2 Post By jhoff80
  1.    #1  
    I would love to be able to use my TP as a monitor and as a display in real time when I am out doing shoots with my Canon 5D Mark 2 dslr. Right now I am able to do this using my notebook, but it's big and heavy and clunky. If I could use my TP it would greatly reduce the hassle and make my mobile setup even more convenient. I have searched the forums and I have seen a few threads asking about an app that could handle this and there are a bunch of different ideas and hurdles.

Canon, Nikon , Sony and Pentax are the big players in the dslr world. What exactly would it take in order to be able to connect a camera to the Touchpad and have it work along with these cameras? Is it really that hard to get something working? Is there a way to take the latest software from these companies and compile it to work with webOS? Isn't webOS based on Linux? Maybe someone could start with one brand's system and work from there.

is anyone even working on something like this? Is there anything that I can do to help?
    lukeaddison likes this.
    It would be awesome but I really can't see it happening.
    Most recent phones have included HTC Touch Dual (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > Samsung Omnia (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > HTC Hero (Android 1.5 - 2.1) > HTC Desire Android (2.1 - 2.3) > HTC Desire HD (2.2.1 - 2.3.3).

New: HP Touchpad 32GB (Possibly selling after it comes back from repair - contact me)
    New: HP Pre3 (Selling - contact me)
    New: Samsung Galaxy S II (Android 2.3.5)
    I'd love one too but it's difficult enough finding one that works on Android. I think I'm right in saying it would need usb host mode which is not easy on the TP.
  4.    #4  
    damnit I wish I had the time and focus to jump into programming in order to make something like this. This would be a killer app and could easily sell for up to $30 on the market. Someone needs to get on this ASAP.
  5.    #5  
    I wonder what Canon would have to say if I email their department head.
    I just downloaded the canon SDK. Going to see if their SDK for linux can be used for liveview support. I totally agree. My TP as a liveview monitor would be wicked.
    I would love it too
    It might not allow for LiveView on the Touchpad, but I'd really love to see an Eye-Fi app myself, which could use direct mode to instantly send photos from any camera to the Touchpad. That'd be much more useful to me on my m4/3 camera than using the Touchpad for LiveView (as I'm not a professional by any means, and don't do any studio photography, I think Touchpad LiveView might be clunky).

Something like Shuttersnitch on the iPad would be really great.
    Underseen and Apelles123 like this.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    It would be nice enough simply to mount the camera as an external drive and download the pics for email and wallpaper.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
  10.    #10  
    I sent 3 emails to Canon so far and still haven't received a reply. I think we are on our own with this. I can't find a single app around that allows any functions that would work for tethering to a DSLR camera. If anything exists for Android, I can't find one. I can use the Splashtop app to work with my Canon software, but it doesn't allow for mobile use in the field. The fact that the Touchpad doesn't come with any native multimedia card support also makes it a problem. I read somewhere else that USB tethering is possible with a powered hub, but that is another issue. It's not like you can plug a wall wart in when you're in the middle of nowhere taking photos on a mountain.
    +1 for eye fi app, the pro/x2 cards dont even need an access point to send files they can use ad-hoc networking. I think that would be awesome to get an official or unoffical eyefi app on the touchpad without a clunky workaround
    Looks like folks made some progress on Linux, mostly with Python, but some C. Maybe we can take some of it?

Eye-Fi Forums • View topic - Eye-Fi 4 Linux
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  13. c4r
    Eye-Fi recently upgraded the firmware on their X-2 and Connect card to where the card can create a 'Direct Network'...and the touchpad can detect that network and connect to it. But once it connects to the network...nothing else happens. No synergy, etc. It probably wouldn't be stretch to create some type of Synergy so that the images are transferred to the TouchPad.
    Anyone have any ideas on HOW to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by c4r View Post
    Eye-Fi recently upgraded the firmware on their X-2 and Connect card to where the card can create a 'Direct Network'...and the touchpad can detect that network and connect to it. But once it connects to the network...nothing else happens. No synergy, etc. It probably wouldn't be stretch to create some type of Synergy so that the images are transferred to the TouchPad.
    Anyone have any ideas on HOW to do that?
    From the webOS perspective, Developing Synergy Connectors.

You would also likely need to look up how to interface with the Eye-Fi, or whatever transient service you are running between the two.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Eye-Fi Forums • View topic - HP webOs Touchpad App?

Coming to think of it, if Eye.fi were to release a webOS app, then I can get my pictures straight off my camera in direct mode when away from a usable wifi source. If you haven't already, please bug them too.