Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    from what I have found the so called ACL system is able to make webOS to run android apps.please go straight to the sources...I don't know much about how to make this possible,but I believe that developers in this community can definitely find them and get more information...

Want access to 250,000+ Android apps on your MeeGo device? Now you have [VIDEO]

OpenMobile's ACL (Application Compatibility Layer) for MeeGo

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    You forgot to mention that there's already an ACL for webOS, too - see their data sheet at openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS.pdf (can't post links right now).

What sounds great in the data sheet is:

ACL for WebOS is 100% compatible: ACL for WebOS runs every single Android App - no exceptions. Because it leverages the Android runtime environment and the Dalvik VM, it runs every app just as it would run on an Android device.

ACL for WebOS delivers native performance: All Android apps perform as native on the WebOS Operating System with zero latencies. ACL does not drain your device resources. Device power and memory will be unchanged.

ACL for WebOS requires zero developer effort: App developers donít have to modify, recompile or repackage their apps for your WebOS device. ACL for WebOS ensures that every single Android app works on WebOS with no developer effort or intervention.

What is not so great:

OpenMobile's ACL for WebOS is designed for the OEM and not for end users or other players in the mobile device industry.
    geekpeter likes this.
    http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS.pdf

They say they can do it. I guess someone has to contact them to buy it? :/ I'm skeptical.
    hmm, I would love to see this actually work.
    According to their rather sparse website, it sounds like they are claiming they've already built it. Guess they haven't shown it to anyone, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    this looks promising if it can be really done!

Looks like theyve done this for meego already: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/22/o...tibility-with/
    I will throw away my Motorola pro plus and get back to pre2
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    <sarcasm>
    Yes, wow that'll do a lot of good for webOS. Bet everyone will want to do the same RIM did. Great idea !
    </sarcasm>
    WebOS still makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketwatch
    In booth #35484 at CES this week, OpenMobile will be demonstrating ACL running on three different platforms. Attendees will see ACL porting Android apps to Tablets, Set Top Boxes, and Netbooks on MeeGo, WebOS and Ubuntu. Coming soon, OpenMobile expects to release ACL(TM) for Tizen, Windows, Bada, QNX, and more.
    source

I'm excited about what to see.
    interesting, thanks for keeping us informed
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    i will get back to my veer.
    Biggest thing would be something that performs as well as the Dolphin browser until webOS engineers find the time to optimize the current webkit. I suppose that might be one of the hardest ones too.
    I’m also really curious about this. Having access to more apps is not what I’ve missed on webOS, but I love to hear about people doing such great work, as our homebrew developers and preware do.
    webOS is simply fabulous
    ó
    TouchPadís Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004ís post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    I’m also really curious about this. Having access to more apps is not what I’ve missed on webOS, but I love to hear about people doing such great work, as our homebrew developers and preware do.
    +1

I don't really care about more apps at all except for a ticket service of our public transport system, but I think the huge App Market was, beside the price, one of the main reasons for most of the customers to choose Android.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    unfortunately i think they are making this for oem only. not end users like us. so i have doubts that we, the users, will ever get access to this.
    This would be great for Amazon...
    If it ever comes to webOS it would be a huge plus
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Good thing or bad thing, it really depends how you see it.

I was talking to my friend the other day who has a PlayBook, he was showing and telling me about the Android running on it and how he has to constantly switch to it just to read his emails properly, then going on to tell me how he's going to give up his BlackBerry and move on to an Android phone and tablet.

Now applying the same theory, yes we get Android apps, but at the same time, it's basically creating a weaning period to get off webOS.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Rob tweeted for anyone at CES to go to the booth to see and question pricing.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    If it did work well enough, I think it could be a good thing. Suddenly instead of competing on the basis of the size of their app catalogs, operating systems would have to compete on their own inherent functionality.

WebOS lost on apps, not on design.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast