Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes
  1. vdc
    Yeh, I completely agree. Not only the Touchpad (already has CM9 as an alternative), I also care about the Pre 3, which has top notch hardware and can compete with any phone out there. Who knows? May be with ACL, HP will be able to re-push the Pre 3 to the market.

Let's start a petition and when it's big enough, send it to Bill Veghte, shall we?
    Hmmm! I've already stated my position on this but I'd actually sign a petition.
    So the next question is HOW??? I mean, we brought this up on the forums and it's obvoiusly garnered some quality attention... But how do we get to this next step? Who has Derek's email? Or contact?

There is the Tip Us notification area.. In which I will write a message for them about this sometime today... I've never had so much luck w/ those type of email systems though and would much rather prefer someone in the know to contact the right person for this
    quick update: I did send in a comment to the Tip Box. In order for the idea to become real, i suggest more of you send in the tip to show the webmasters we are very interested in something like this.
    There's a petition here:
    Petition We need Android Apps on webOS!

You probably should also consider following this thread with suggestions for webOS improvements:

ACL is a item that a lot of folks are requesting.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...wish-list.html
    It asks for a donation, but it will still count it as you signed the petition anyway if you don't donate.. So that's great and it shows the petition is already at 50 people so far.

If only we can get this thrown on the website eh.
    Last edited by Zukny; 01/20/2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Don't need to donate :)
  7. vdc
    forums.webosnation.com/members/31915.html here's Derek's profile, let's pm him?
    derek's email is derek at the old domain.
    I hope that helps.
    email sent.. Well, not much sure what Else I can do w/out stalking the guy. I hope you guys here have signed the petition & sent it to others who have a touchpad or are at least in love w/ webOS..

Get the word out
    The problem with ICS on the Touchpad is that it drains battery like a sieve. Overnight some stupid background apps will drain 20% of my battery while I'm asleep and the tablet is on "standby". I have this same problem on my Droid Charge (with a Gingerbread ROM), and despite my best efforts it seems like there's no fix to it. Some users' phones handle it well, others' don't.

WebOS obviously doesn't drain resources like Android. It's 30-40% better on the battery in active usage, and of course standby isn't an issue at all. I would be incredibly happy to seamlessly install an APK and run, say, Opera Mobile on webOS.

The main problem with webOS's browser is the lack of text reflow (and lack of compatibility with a lot of sites). I hate, *hate* squinting to see text. Text reflow is a godsend on phones and tablets, and is why I will never switch to a non-Android device until it's enabled on other OS's, even though I hate Android's inefficiency and lagginess.

If this ACL layer is made available on webOS, I'll probably never boot back into ICS ever again.
    It's kinda sad that this never amounted to anything.. So far over 550 people signed the petition but there would need to be a lot more then that .. and it's pretty clear Derek isn't planning on putting this petition on the website.

Sent the email & the Tip Us thing.... but no response..

I know Enyo came out and all, but I am not one to sit and hope OpWebOS works and just forget about the other options at hand.
    wow I didn't know they had this for PC and linux, will have to check it out... no need to install CM on my dev pad now.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Having had prior contact with OpenMobile with respect to bringing ACL to MeeGo/MeeGo-Harmattan, I can't help but think you're all being strung a line by this company and nothing will ever come of it.

They should know by now if it's worth bringing ACL to WebOS - they don't need to speak with random end users (no offence) to determine what the reaction to ACL on WebOS would be. All it has done is raise awareness (increase hype) in the forum, which was probably the main purpose of this one phone call.

I think it would serve you all well to be extremely cynical/sceptical about this company, and to not get your hopes up too high as their track record on delivery so far has been non-existent. I'd love to be proven wrong, but given the statements from the company thus far, which only serve to hype the possibility of delivering ACL for <insert-OS-flavour-of-the-month> without actually confirming or committing to anything at all, I don't think I will be.

So please, take what you read in this thread and elsewhere with a major pinch of salt.

(And before anyone claims that MeeGo-Harmattan is a dead platform blah blah, remember that it's still on sale in the shape of the Nokia N9, with pretty decent sales - estimates of 1.5m in Q4/11, outselling Lumia 800 with WP7, though to be fair that wasn't very difficult!)
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    I think it would serve you all well to be extremely cynical/sceptical about this company, and to not get your hopes up too high as their track record on delivery so far has been non-existent. I'd love to be proven wrong, but given the statements from the company thus far, which only serve to hype the possibility of delivering ACL for <insert-OS-flavour-of-the-month> without actually confirming or committing to anything at all, I don't think I will be.
    The thing is though, that OpenMobile's approach has been of selling the system to the OEM's, and so the fact that it didn't materialize for MeeGo may not necessarily be OpenMobile's fault. It may be that they couldn't reach an agreement re the business terms, revenue sharing, or whatever.

Seeing as their CEO Bob Angelo previously worked in a number of positions at Phoenix Technologies (yes, the Phoenix Technologies) including Systems Software Developer, Vice President of OEM Operations, Vice President of Product Engineering, Vice President of Marketing and Chief Operating Officer, and then went on to found SystemSoft and served as President and CEO there, anything he is intimately involved in deserves a high degree of credibility in my book.

This guy is an old pro that has played an important role in the development of computer technology, not some fly-by-night kid who woke up in the middle of the night with a wild idea that he pitched to a gullible dotcom boom era Venture Capitalist who couldn't be bothered to do any due diligence...
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The thing is though, that OpenMobile's approach has been of selling the system to the OEM's, and so the fact that it didn't materialize for MeeGo may not necessarily be OpenMobile's fault. It may be that they couldn't reach an agreement re the business terms, revenue sharing, or whatever.
    It's not just that, it's the various vague promises such as "It's coming!", "We're working on that" etc. which were posted around the web by OpenMobile Chairman Nachi Junankar whenever anyone asked about ACL for MeeGo/Nokia N9 etc. That was many months ago, since then - nothing.

A number of solutions to the OEM problem were suggested, OpenMobile reached out for more information, emails were exchanged but then the conversation went cold from their end.

So I'm not saying it won't happen, or it can't happen, for WebOS - I'm just trying to temper your expectations with a little realism based on what has happened previously with this company and "the community", so that you don't all get too hung up on this and wind up massively disappointed if it doesn't materialise.

As for Bob Angelo - sorry, never heard of him, and I think it's a mistake to give OpenMobile any additional credibility simply because their CEO has previously been employed by a successful technology company (that I have heard of). The CEO contacting a forum member only served to hype his product further, I'm pretty sure it served no other purpose - is this honestly how CEO's behave these days, asking members of the public if they should launch their product? Wow...
    is this honestly how CEO's behave these days, asking members of the public if they should launch their product? Wow...
    you know, the incredible irony of this statement is not lost on me, as I wonder whether webOS fans and HP would have found themselves in quite the same predicament today had Leo or someone who had his ear gotten some feedback (incognito of course) from forum users like us re their plans for the TP launch. But that's a topic for another discussion.

It's not just that, it's the various vague promises such as "It's coming!", "We're working on that" etc. which were posted around the web by OpenMobile Chairman Nachi Junankar whenever anyone asked about ACL for MeeGo/Nokia N9 etc. That was many months ago, since then - nothing.

A number of solutions to the OEM problem were suggested, OpenMobile reached out for more information, emails were exchanged but then the conversation went cold from their end.

So I'm not saying it won't happen, or it can't happen, for WebOS - I'm just trying to temper your expectations with a little realism based on what has happened previously with this company and "the community", so that you don't all get too hung up on this and wind up massively disappointed if it doesn't materialise.

As for Bob Angelo - sorry, never heard of him, and I think it's a mistake to give OpenMobile any additional credibility simply because their CEO has previously been employed by a successful technology company (that I have heard of). The CEO contacting a forum member only served to hype his product further, I'm pretty sure it served no other purpose - is this honestly how CEO's behave these days, asking members of the public if they should launch their product? Wow...
    From this experience, you do have good reason to to skeptical - point taken. But I do think you're being a bit to quick to cast aspersions on on what Angelo and OpenMobile are doing. My reading of his conversation with Zukny is not that he was asking him whether to launch the product, but rather that they are trying to gauge the interest of the webOS users, and have been reading the forums (of arguably the largest and most active group of webOS users I might add), have looked at the polls and petitions, and have also been talking to HP again. I actually think that's a pretty good way to get an indication of what the market for a product like this is - the only additional thing I'd suggest they do is work with HP to do a more formal and scientific survey of potential customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutsKohl View Post
    +1

I don't really care about more apps at all except for a ticket service of our public transport system, but I think the huge App Market was, beside the price, one of the main reasons for most of the customers to choose Android.
    I never thought it was that big a deal until I upgraded from cm7 to cm9. I now find myself spending a lot more time in Android even though I prefer the webOS UI by far.

Once you've got "real" Netflix, LastPass, decent cursor placement, predictive typing, etc., as you do with Android, it gets tedious to go back to webOS and lose all that functionality.

And don't even get me started on the mysterious disappearance of NDrive for the Pre3, one of my main reasons for owning that phone!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234