Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    All I want is whatsapp, period. it's a basic sms replacement...
    Rnp and delacro like this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketwatch View Post
    In booth #35484 at CES this week, OpenMobile will be demonstrating ACL running on three different platforms. Attendees will see ACL porting Android apps to Tablets, Set Top Boxes, and Netbooks on MeeGo, WebOS and Ubuntu. Coming soon, OpenMobile expects to release ACL(TM) for Tizen, Windows, Bada, QNX, and more.
    That's good news - anyway they mention to demonstrate it on webOS, but don't mention webOS in their release target list.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Rob tweeted for anyone at CES to go to the booth to see and question pricing.
    Julian from webOS Blog (German) is attending CES - but most probably he's following Rob's tweets and already knows about this.
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Julian has been there: Dank openmobile bald Android-Apps nativ unter webOS möglich | webOS Blog (German)
    An english summary can be found here: Android Apps on webOS | All about webOS

According to Julian openmobile has planned this project for a long time and has also been in touch with HP. An vitally important appointment on August 19th with Richard Kerris had to be cancelled due to Apotheker's webOS burying one day before. Openmobile has contacted HP again and is willing to finish this project, but needs cooperation from HP or has to wait until webOS is open sourced.
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    It says that for now they were only able to demonstrate it on a Windows Tablet with the webOS emulation mode from the SDK, they are about to work on some last bugs and that this would work on webOS phones as well. A demonstration video by OpenMobile will be available soon.

Unlike the translator on "All about webOS" there's one point that I don't understand the way he does: The Amazon store is supported and the Android Market could be supported and he thinks that it would follow. He doesn't say that the guys from OpenMobile did even mentioned that they are working on it.
    Last edited by HelmutsKohl; 01/12/2012 at 04:34 AM.
    Yes, it would be great to see Android apps available on webOS. I think it's probably the only way for the webOS platform to remain relevant. Open sourcing webOS and Enyo is a good thing but the app barrier remains even if there were vendors selling competitive devices (and currently that isn't true either) - few existing Android or iOS users will switch to webOS due to the lack of the ability to have comparable apps for all the ones they use now. I'm not convinced that webOS can gain any traction while only being able to run webOS specific apps (and ones that are available through the HP app catalog).

If webOS could run Android apps, then that would make OEMs more comfortable with the idea of shipping webOS devices and it would also help with sales to consumers (remove the app barrier and allow existing Android users to switch, bringing their current apps with them).

Given RIM has an Android player and, with the Bluestacks announcement for Windows 8, we might see Android apps (and Android application programming) increasingly become a cross platform standard. Given that the underpinnings for running Android apps are open source (the dalvik vm, for example), the only thing holding this scenario back is legal considerations (i.e. Oracle is suing Google and Myriad, for example, for infringement of Sun/Oracle Java intellectual property).
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    guess it depends on how well it could run those android apps. i assume there would be some kind of emulation layer.. that typically involves a performance hit.

too bad that palmdroid thing never got off the ground [ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread - xda-developers
    Here's a video of ACL running with an interview matchqq posted in another thread.

In the video, Android apps run in cards under webOS which is running in virtualbox on a Windows PC - each Android app runs in a separate card. Open Mobile says they can access any app store except for the Android Market (due to legal restrictions) and that the ACL works but currently has slow performance because they don't have access to closed-source drivers in order to optimize it.
    Last edited by Scotland; 01/13/2012 at 05:11 PM.
    This sounds like it could be quite incredible, especially for an open source webOS! The community will need to get involved to voice support to HP (and beyond). But the timing of that push will be very imortant too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    unfortunately i think they are making this for oem only. not end users like us. so i have doubts that we, the users, will ever get access to this.
    does sound that way, sucks bigtime if its true.
    The CES video seemed rather laggy and that wasn't even on a TouchPad. If they can't speed this up I will have little interest. We need quality not quantity. Lets hope they can turn the speed up and bring quality and quantity to webOS.

The video said that what we can do to help is let HP know we the people want it. So we need to get this on the front page of webOS nation and people need to voice their demands to HP. They will hear us, not sure if they will listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    unfortunately i think they are making this for oem only. not end users like us. so i have doubts that we, the users, will ever get access to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    does sound that way, sucks bigtime if its true.
    I just watched the interview, and their representative pretty much spells it out. They've already done the heavy lifting involved in getting this functional on webOS, they just need to optimize the performance, and to do that they need HP's cooperation as the drivers they need to access are closed source. They don't sell this to individual end users, they would sell to the OEM (HP in our case) and then HP would put it on the devices (I'm assuming it could be offered as an App store download, if not, then as an OTA update). As he said, they were scheduled to meet with HP to discuss the details of this, but then Leo pulled the plug on webOS. But Openmobile still want to do it - we don't need to convince them to support what many consider to be a dead OS, and that in itself is a MAJOR PLUS.

What we need to do is convince HP to work with these guys. Having Android apps would be a complete game changer for us - we need to do something to try and move the needle on this.

I suggest we do a petition drive for this. And we need to consider the possibility that HP might not be willing to pay the licensing fees to get this for us. I know I'd be willing to part with some cash in order to get this feature. The only question is how much. I'm assuming Openmobile charge a lump sum license fee plus a per installed device fee - I wish we could find out what those fees are.
    ice8lue and geekpeter like this.
    Not to damp the flames of imagination, but if you look around I don't believe ACL has had a single release on any platform yet. They seem to still be in proof of concept stage and are looking for large oems to fund their final development. This doesn't seem to fit with HP's most recent policy of limited monetary benevolence toward WebOS.

If someone wants to fire up a petition of sorts, Ill sign on. But in reality the odds look extremely thin on this.
    Dear HP...
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    HelmutsKohl likes this.
    It's a little beyond proof of concept. They are being smart in not "hacking" or "reverse engineering" since we all know how one update to the OS can brake the software or get sued .....
    Ok. As far as I can tell no one has brought this up yet, but I found this article and was hoping maybe someone had a video of how this works or even more information then what I can find. I would love for something like to this to come to fruition

Looks like WebOS may be getting android apps to the touchpad.. Well if a few things work out. Here are a few links below:

http://openmobile.co/pdf/Data_Sheet_ACL_for_WebOS.pdf
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/14/2012 at 11:11 PM.
    it has been brought up already unfortunatly its not something we the webOS user can buy.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Yeah, someone should really jump on this. HP or whoever has the potential right now to save webOS by making Android apps available and keeping webOS's superior synergy and interface.

Ice Cream Sandwich, however, is just around the corner for Cynogenmod 9 on Touchpad. With its own sleek interface and hardware acceleration, once people switch to IC9, there will be little reason to stick with webOS, and the TP stands to become a predominantly Android tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    ...save webOS by making Android apps available and keeping webOS's superior synergy and interface.

Ice Cream Sandwich, however, is just around the corner... once people switch to IC9, there will be little reason to stick with webOS, and the TP stands to become a predominantly Android tablet.
    Ok. So how will webOS be 'saved' at that point? Cant its synergy and interface simply be copied? AAMOF, isnt that already the case, and wont the competition's implementation of these features simply get better w/ time? So why even bother to save webOS?

Allowing other ecosystem apps to run on webOS is NOT the way to save it. It will make things convenient but at the same time will only further relegate the os and kill app and os development potential. HP, the open source community, third parties and devs have to be committed. Cross-platform methods solve some problems and thats good but those problems should be tackled at the source to begin with. If they're going to be used as permanent solutions then why not just switch platforms altogether?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast