Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RickNeff
  1.    #1  
    Where does "Weather Dashboard" app get its inaccurate weather data from?
    Yahoo! weather.

My forecast from the dashboard is accurate and consistent with all other sites, I only wish that little sun symbol would show the actual weather, like a raincloud for MD right now.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    it gets it from china underground weather station., probably.

but this app is pretty feature-less. all it shows is an icon and "current" conditions. why not at least make it show alerts/warnings and maybe even a small radar.

also, you have to click the sun icon to see the conditions.. if it's raining out why is the icon a sun? talk about poor implementation.

i might as well fire up accuweather which has a lot of features and the radar is pretty damn good (when it actually loads). oh and it's FREE.

it's worth exactly 99 cents, not a penny more. i would pay 3 or 4, even 5 times the amount for something that actually makes more sense.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoxcx View Post
    Yahoo! weather.

My forecast from the dashboard is accurate and consistent with all other sites, I only wish that little sun symbol would show the actual weather, like a raincloud for MD right now.
    Are you suggesting that they use a tornando icon if there's a tornado
    in the area? Or a Sputnik logo, since a satellite is supposed to
    fall from the sky today? :
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoxcx View Post
    Yahoo! weather.

Every time I've checked mine it was accurate (as weather gets) and had appropriate symbols, like a sun partially obscured by a cloud right now for partly cloudy. Folks really can get some hate on for cheap or free apps.
    As a developer, I have to ask why you wouldn't contact the developer rather than complain in a public forum? What exactly does one expect to accomplish by posting here, rather than giving the developer the opportunity to fix an issue.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Mine is pretty accurate. Maybe people haven't setup the app to update often. I have mine setup to update every 30 min, and when it does I get a notification...
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    As a developer, I have to ask why you wouldn't contact the developer rather than complain in a public forum? What exactly does one expect to accomplish by posting here, rather than giving the developer the opportunity to fix an issue.
    My thoughts exactly. It's very clear in the App Catalog how to contact the developer for bugs & problems. With the exception of one instance, I've never had a problem contacting a developer, as most of them would like to fix whatever issues they have, so they don't get lower ratings, which in turn result in lower revenues.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteg View Post
    Mine is pretty accurate. Maybe people haven't setup the app to update often. I have mine setup to update every 30 min, and when it does I get a notification...
    Good point. The default is I think to refresh every hour, mine is set to 15 minutes with notification.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    It's not a complaint at all.... Do developers actually have time to answer emails from
    some guy who bought an app for 99 cents?(which the developer has to share with HP)

I don't bother the developers unless I experience serious difficulties with their apps.
    I think if you have a legitimate complaint....and to me, it sounds like you do...then a developer has time to answer an email, regardless if you spent $0.99 or $9.99.

The worst that can happen is you waste 5 minutes your time and remain disappointed with your app. Alternatively, you bring the problem to the developers attention, they fix it....for you and everyone else that bought it!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    op seriously! I love WD. Its nice clean and simple. Its accurate for me, I have mine refresh every 5 min, if I could have it set every min or less I would. Set the notification banner aswell, nice feature. WD is my main exhibition, I need to know weather conditions as soon as I wake up for riding conditions.

sure it would be nice to make exhibition a lil nicer, but n e other way n you would need more pages. I don't have no other weather installed, its not needed. One thing I agree w/op is that the actual wd icon should change in weather conditions, just incorporate the icons that are already there. That would be really nice.

other than that, the whole worth the 99 thing is just silly considering this post came after a free promoted, guess one can only appreciate something if they spend "their" own hard earned cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    It's not a complaint at all.... Do developers actually have time to answer emails from some guy who bought an app for 99 cents?(which the developer has to share with HP)
    It very much is a complaint since you felt the need to note that the source appeared to be inaccurate. And yes, most developers, especially on a very tight-knit community such as ours, will respond to (nice) requests. I offer my stuff for free and I don't have a problem responding to e-mail questions or requests. (Even if I can't fulfill those requests)

But, even stepping off my developer soapbox, I think for the end user, the probability of problems being fixed is far greater via such a contact rather than posting on a forum.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa