Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    So sign up for Slickdeals?
    Well, you know, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You don't have to sign up for anything to read the slickdeals forums or get their rss feed.

I can't really complain about slickdeals as it's led me to a number of good deals including the touchpad firesale & here.

If slickdeals disappeared today, little would change. Slickdeals is simply one of the most successful of a large group which would take up the slack. This group includes fatwallet, bradsdeals, techbargains, bensbargains, dealnews, dealsplus, dealcatcher, spoofee, passwird, deals woot and many others. There is a tendency for a deal to spread across the whole lot like wildfire. So simply blaming slickdeals is not grasping the full dynamic.

I look at the app codes as nice when I can get them but that's it.
    Exactly IMHO.

Edit: This isn't directed really at ... in particular but every one of these threads turns into a gripe-fest about how they didn't get free stuff and someone else got it first instead. I say "congratulations" to everyone who got an application, no matter where you found the code, and I hope you're enjoying your Touchpad.
    Well said...
    I signed up for the newsletter and haven't gotten anything. Checked my spam and everything, it's not there.
    sigh... Too slow again
    Heh, kinda funny... I missed all the other promo's but just happened to see this one early. Pretty much got the all but ended up deleting them all except the note thing though not really sure I'll use it. Funny part is that in my hurry to finally get the promo I was trying to get the game and ended up buying it by accident. And, while some might like those kind of games, it was definitely not something I would have ever bought. Then I was wondering how many accidental sales they get by doing these promo's. If your sales are low it might just be worth it for the accidentals.... oh well, it was only two bucks (I think).
    I don't think there's anything wrong when people complain about missing out on free stuff. Sure, it was free and it's probably not something they thought about the day before, but missing out does really suck! I know, because I missed out on the previous ones. I didn't complain out loud but mentally I was shooting flames from my eyeballs (not entirely sure what that meant). Maybe the ones that complain don't have anyone to complain to? Or, are uncomfortable talking to themselves (it's fun, promise!)?

I like to put things in perspective: Would I still complain if they were codes for free Touchpads2 that were posted and I missed out on?? What about if I'd missed out on an extra free screen cleaning cloth? It's the missing out part that hurts me deep, deep to my bones.

Anywho, the point of this post is to offer really bad missee perspectives, even worse humor, and a very awkward, "maybe next time?" all topped with a free pat on the shoulder.

P.S. Folks, figure out how to somehow tether, take the TP to work, and carefully plan a bathroom break that just so happens to last as long as it takes to download all four apps. Cover your grin and remember to complain loudly about it must been something you ate.
    Sure, if people just say "aw, shucks!" rather than blaming other people for having the audacity to want the same free app or saying HP owes everyone free apps because they're nice enough to give away 250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raccroc View Post
    only to discover that they are not honoring what was offered
    Not sure I'm following. I can't really defend HPs seeming incompetence in many respects but in what way have they not honored what was offered here?
    HP states "while supplies last'". They pay the developers the 'lost' cost of the apps and so, no, they're not going to give away a half million copies. They have a limited number of codes and you either get one or you don't.
    Odd...seems like my post is missing (even in my postcount...). Maybe I shouldn't have made the OnSale crack?!?

Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Not sure I'm following. I can't really defend HPs seeming incompetence in many respects but in what way have they not honored what was offered here?
    From the HP WebOS Newsletter:L
    "We want you to experience the best of webOS. Hurry, download the following four apps for FREE using the promo codes below."
    That sounds an awful like they are offering four free apps to me. ~3 hours after receiving the email, it was no longer being honored.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel
    HP states "while supplies last'". They pay the developers the 'lost' cost of the apps and so, no, they're not going to give away a half million copies. They have a limited number of codes and you either get one or you don't.
    Yes...underneath the TM and copyright, in small nondescript print, line number four of the Terms and Conditions states:
    "4. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last. "
    That is why I said stated the that is it a bad way to treat your customers instead of saying it is a legal violation which should be reported to the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Affairs. I never claimed it to be a violation of the law, I just called it shady. They got many of us to go into their store (when we very likely would not have otherwise) under the belief that we would be getting a deal, only to be denied the offer and asked to pay full retail.
    I understand that giving they don't want to give away 10-100s of thousands of apps away. I do, I get that. I just don't think sending a mass emails which making promotional offerings to your costumer's, only to then turn around and deny them the offer while hiding behind legal T&C is a good way to win loyalty or fans.
    There is nothing stopping them from creating one-use codes and sending them out to only a smaller batches ("you have be chosen" type of emails) or stating up front the codes are only good for a couple of hours, or whatever. What they are doing is a very bad system was my only point.
    Odd...seems like my post is missing (even in my postcount...). Maybe I shouldn't have made the OnSale crack?!?

"We want you to experience the best of webOS. Hurry, download the following four apps for FREE using the promo codes below."
    That sounds an awful like they are offering four free apps to me. ~3 hours after receiving the email, it was no longer being honored.

Yes...underneath the TM and copyright, in small nondescript print, line number four of the Terms and Conditions states:
    That is why I said stated the that is it a bad way to treat your customers instead of saying it is a legal violation which should be reported to the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Affairs. I never claimed it to be a violation of the law, I just called it shady. They got many of us to go into their store (when we very likely would not have otherwise) under the belief that we would be getting a deal, only to be denied the offer and asked to pay full retail.
    I understand that giving they don't want to give away 10-100s of thousands of apps away. I do, I get that. I just don't think sending a mass emails which making promotional offerings to your costumer's, only to then turn around and deny them the offer while hiding behind legal T&C is a good way to win loyalty or fans.
    There is nothing stopping them from creating one-use codes and sending them out to only a smaller batches ("you have be chosen" type of emails) or stating up front the codes are only good for a couple of hours, or whatever. What they are doing is a very bad system was my only point.
    Even though this has been addressed several times in this thread and others about promo codes I'll set the record straight. These promo codes may be free to us but someone has to flip the bill. HP has to pay developers 70% of the app's cost therefore they aren't going to give out like 10,000 copies of each app. Even if all 4 apps in a giveaway were $0.99 that would be over $100,000 during each giveaway. Keep in mind most apps they've offered average around $6.

Yes, the disclaimer is written at the bottom of the email in small print; so is practically ever disclaimer written since the beginning of disclaimers. To complain about that is ridiculous because it is common practice. If anything make a compliant to the Better Business Bureau or a similar organization. Everyone seems so entitle to get something for nothing when HP doesn't have to offer anything at all. Especially considering the murky future of webOS and the mess they've made of things, the fact that they are continuing to offer promos is a nice gesture; nothing more.

You did say HP was "not honoring what was offered". The rest of your email has vanished as you say but I did quote that bit. I do not believe this to be the case and have seen nothing to change my mind. Sure it sucks to miss out on a freebie or a cheap deal, as always. But that's part of life, can't get them all.

The whole idea of the promo codes is to "promote" a product, specifically in this case sales of a software product, not give the store away. Below is the HP standard disclaimer that I've seen on EVERY promo code sponsored by HP thus far. Getting folks into a store for a special limited supply deal when you likely would not have been otherwise is what promotion is all about and happens all the time, both with online and brick & mortar stores. Limited supplies means the same thing it always has, that's why folks line up outside stores at unGodly hours on black Friday every year. Well, I don't, but lots of folks do. This is absolutely nothing new or exclusive to HP. We might not like it but it's how many, many businesses run promotions and have for many years.

Could it be done better? Sure, nearly everything can. One-use codes is a possibility but doubt it will happen as it adds cost, complexity and generates less of the desired product excitement. And really, seeing HPs recent track record with e-commerce would you be looking for additional challenges there if you were them? As far as stating up front the codes are only good for a couple of hours, how can they possibly predict how long the codes will last? We know as well as they do by now it won't be long but nobody knows how long. I don't really see how HP can state it any more clearly than they already have with "Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last".

Quote Originally Posted by HP in multiple promo code offers

App Promo Rules

Eligibility Requirements: US-based HP employees, HP reseller partners, HP customers and HP webOS developer partners are eligible to use the Weekly App Promo codes. Promo participants require a TouchPad with a current functioning user profile; with credit card purchasing enabled. The promo codes below will expire on XX/XX/XX. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last.

Customers with an existing promo credit in their account may be unable to redeem these codes, and the price of the app will be deducted from their current credit.

To redeem this offer select the desired app for purchase in the HP App catalog and when prompted enter the promo code. No charges will be made against your credit card, but you will receive a receipt.

The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Third-party software available separately. Within wireless coverage area only. Requires data services at additional cost. Not all apps available on all devices.

Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available. All screen images simulated."
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Even though this has been addressed several times in this thread and others about promo codes I'll set the record straight. These promo codes may be free to us but someone has to flip the bill. HP has to pay developers 70% of the app's cost therefore they aren't going to give out like 10,000 copies of each app. Even if all 4 apps in a giveaway were $0.99 that would be over $100,000 during each giveaway. Keep in mind most apps they've offered average around $6.
    That record is far from straight...maybe it it would be true if you consider the value of the application to be completely equal to the cost and that all units would otherwise actually otherwise sale. With a developed application, most all of the cost is front loaded, not based on a per-purchase. If you, let's say, spend $250/unit to make a tablet, which you then end up selling for $100/unit, there is a very real world loss of $150/unit. If, let's say, you spend 10k to make a program, then sell if for $1/unit with only a small per-unit purchase fee attached (net of $.70, going by your numbers), giving away 100 vs. 100000 is of little difference (from a cost perspective). That is what we are looking at here. You "may" be able to argue that the number reduces the potential customer pool that you can sell to; however, it would be very hard to argue that everyone who ever downloaded your app via the promo actually uses, wants, and/or would ever otherwise purchase your app. It is absolutely ludicrous to believe the loss is anywhere near the 1-1 (or 1-0.7) you proposed. IF HP is footing the entire bill for each application downloaded under the type of agreement that you suggest, they are way more incompetent that I formally believed. Normally, with these type of promos, you make a deal with the dev to offer up the app at promotional/free prices by convincing them it will spark future sales (word of mouth, increased product awareness, more units sold usually means better product placement, newsletter advertising, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Yes, the disclaimer is written at the bottom of the email in small print; so is practically ever disclaimer written since the beginning of disclaimers. To complain about that is ridiculous because it is common practice. If anything make a compliant to the Better Business Bureau or a similar organization. Everyone seems so entitle to get something for nothing when HP doesn't have to offer anything at all. Especially considering the murky future of webOS and the mess they've made of things, the fact that they are continuing to offer promos is a nice gesture; nothing more.
    1st, the BBB is/would be a waste of time when ever talking about a company the size of HP, pretty much regardless of the slight. It is also why nowhere in my post did I mention the BBB. 2nd, I agree the small type is very common place. Any company the size of HP would never let that type of email out w/o first having legal tag and sign off. 3rd, I was responding to another post's point that the T&C existed, not complaining about them myself. My complaint was the behavior of HP and the way in which they are going about giving out promos. While I understand people feel, and HP may even believe, it is a nice gesture, that isn't the way it is coming off to many of us. It changed my behavior, in that I went out of my way to enter the HP App Catalog when I otherwise wouldn't have, by making an offer which was not honored. I could care less about free apps, but I detest being baited into a store under that guise
    just to be told "just kidding...but we will SELL it to you if you like".
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234