Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By deadgroovy
  • 1 Post By govotsos
  1.    #1  
    Why haven't HP developed or bundled a decent ereader with the touchpad?
    Kindle app doesn't work(uk), preader is rubbish, is it so hard? On my android tablet I use Aldiko, a fantastic reader. Reading ebooks is one of the reasons I use a tablet. If a decent reader doesn't appear soon, looks like my touchpad is going on ebay. Shame, its a forking bit of kit.
    Personally I find PReader quite easy to use, much easier to get to grips with than Aldiko was and it opens loads of different file types. What is it you have a problem with?
  3.    #3  
    Its buggy, doesnt swipe, can't pinch n zoom, its just not the quality that you would expect from a company like HP. Relying on third party/homebrew developers to be the only way to get a decent ereader is pretty dismal.
    With preader my books don't have paragraphs. I went back to using my sony ereader.

I don't think a tablets a great ereader, too heavy and I don't like the backlighting.
    Try the new Kindle side app in Prepare. It works great allowing you to load your own books into the Kindle app.
    I'm going to end up using the Kindle app. But one thing I notice compared to the iPad is the next appears more grainy. I only notice it when I'm reading but it is kind of annoying.
  7.    #7  
    Got the Kindle app working!! Using it with the side loading app, then had to reboot ( I know....I should always read the help files!). Works a treat. Touchpad is a georgous machine, ebay can wait!!
    allowingtoo and Peep like this.
    If you'd like to give pReader another try, there's a new version besides the one in the App Catalog. The one in the Catalog is the older, much slower SDK version. pReader native is based on the PDK & is MUCH faster. To get it, go to the official support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html and download it from the first post.

To make sure your text looks right, before you import any books, go to Preferences / Test Display and set the DEF ENCODING to UTF-8. Take a good look through the preferences - there's a lot, making pReader very customizable. Also read the Help from the app menu. I think you might have a good experience with the new version. We're over at the thread if you have any questions
    Peep likes this.
    govotsos
    <<thread moved>>
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    govotsos
    Maybe so, probably so, but I like the multi-format support & supporting a homebrew developer rather than a half-baked commercial product that requires hacks to sideload. My opinion, YMMV