Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laoh
  1.    #1  
    The touchpad is my first venture into the webOS world and so far I'm loving it. I can deal with the lack of apps, but I simply cannot understand why a developer has not released a true third party browser.

We all know the native browser is quite sluggish. I turned JavaScript off because the sites I surf are not negatively affected by its absence and the speed differences are dramatic.

I would think a company who writes third party browsers would notice people's dissatisfaction and do a quick port of their browser available on other OSs. It just makes sense from a business perspective.

The same can be said for other areas the touchpad is lacking. Do people not see the potential to make money when there is no real competition and your already existing product fills a much needed void?
    Um, what do you expect from a platform that's been dumped and left out to dry?
    dignitary likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    With a million touchpads circulating a developer can easily make a killing with a port. Look at Angry Birds for example and that's something most of us have already played. Now imagine what an app that improves the functionality of the tablet itself would be able to do in terms of sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by frontloader View Post
    The touchpad is my first venture into the webOS world and so far I'm loving it. I can deal with the lack of apps, but I simply cannot understand why a developer has not released a true third party browser.

We all know the native browser is quite sluggish. I turned JavaScript off because the sites I surf are not negatively affected by its absence and the speed differences are dramatic.

I would think a company who writes third party browsers would notice people's dissatisfaction and do a quick port of their browser available on other OSs. It just makes sense from a business perspective.

The same can be said for other areas the touchpad is lacking. Do people not see the potential to make money when there is no real competition and your already existing product fills a much needed void?
    Virtually every third party browser on Android, Opera and Firefox aside simply wrap their own UI around the in-built rendering engine. Basically, they are no different than Advanced Browser on the TP. For someone to come up with a true third party browser - or at least something that out performs the native one - they need to implement a brand new rendering engine. That isn't going to happen on the TP - it would be a major, major project.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Some devs have made a lot of money since the fire sale. Inglorious apps and the flashcards dev have made at least $ 20k but that's not enough to attract new developers esp big studios until the future of webOS is clarified.
    I've found the browser to be quite functional, what features do you specifically miss?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

there was a push by some to get some people involved. from last i read, nobody had any interest. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3130981
    I have a Pandora. Currently, less than 4,000 people have one. Our browser selection includes Firefox (3,4,5,6), Fennec, Chromium, Links2, Lightweight2, AnonBrowser, Jumanji, Pandabrowser, Arora, and Midori. Many of these are actively maintained.

Different scene of course, much more dev-centric. The number of Touchpads in the wild is astonishing by comparison though. It would be nice to see something happen!
    Not to mention it's only been out a few months, just the harsh reality. I have faith something will come along but the current situation is not surprising.
    With a million touchpads circulating a developer can easily make a killing with a port. Look at Angry Birds for example and that's something most of us have already played. Now imagine what an app that improves the functionality of the tablet itself would be able to do in terms of sales.
    Maybe but with folks complaining as if they were paying customers about the free promo codes not being done to their liking, I wonder.