Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Great, looking forward to tomorrow

thanks........
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    By the way folks, Giddy doesn't have a save game option. This was a conscious decision because back in the old days games tended not to, and Phil (the author of the original MS-DOS version) wanted to keep that retro feel. Plus it really makes you value every life. The game will seem difficult at first, but the feedback we've had over the years from players who have completed it is that once they completed it, they agreed that the difficulty was about right, it just takes some getting used to.

Anyway, I have some good news. The "no save game at all" option is a little harsh considering webOS devices are battery powered, and you may want to just play it a bit when you don't have time to play right through from start to finish.

So, as a compromise, I am going to issue an update soon that will let you close the app, and continue your game when you next load it up.
    Even better, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    By the way folks, Giddy doesn't have a save game option. This was a conscious decision because back in the old days games tended not to, and Phil (the author of the original MS-DOS version) wanted to keep that retro feel. Plus it really makes you value every life. The game will seem difficult at first, but the feedback we've had over the years from players who have completed it is that once they completed it, they agreed that the difficulty was about right, it just takes some getting used to.

Anyway, I have some good news. The "no save game at all" option is a little harsh considering webOS devices are battery powered, and you may want to just play it a bit when you don't have time to play right through from start to finish.

So, as a compromise, I am going to issue an update soon that will let you close the app, and continue your game when you next load it up.
    its an amiga game not ms-dos
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Giddy 1 & 2 were Amiga games. Giddy 3 was released originally for MS-DOS in 2000. In 2009, I got the x86 assembler source code for it from the original author, and rewrote it from scratch in C (using the x86 asm as a reference).
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    id still call it an amiga game, i still call worms/lemmings/etc amiga games just coz thats where they started from, same as resi evil for psx or sonic for sega etc

works v well on my pre3 btw, installed for what seemed ages compared to touchpad (coulda had updates lurking maybe) but works bang on, i do think its my first pre3 game thats actually full full screen, no black bar at the bottom.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    OK folks, the update is live. Enjoy.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Well, since I now have access to a Veer, I got a chance to try Giddy out on it.

I found that it ran perfectly, and was playable, so I have added it to the supported devices.

However, the controls ARE a bit fiddly on the small screen, and the text is very small, so if you have big thumbs or poor eyesight, it may not be playable for you on the Veer.

The 1.0.3 update also fixes a bug where you could fall off the bottom of the level in a certain place and get stuck. If you found that bug, you can continue your game now without having to restart from the beginning.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    1.0.4 is now available.

This version supports the iCade and compatible controllers. After pairing the device, run giddy and go into options and enable iCade support. This will be remembered whenever you subsequently run the app. The iCade will control both the menus and gameplay.

The only other change is that settings (volume and icade support) are now saved and reloaded correctly (there was a bug that stopped them being loaded properly).
    geekpeter likes this.
    PERU here!....This app works in PRE2?....
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I have personally tested Giddy on Pre-, Pre 3, Touchpad and Veer, so it should work perfectly on the Pre 2.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    OK folks, since HP are closing the App Catalog ( :-( ), Giddy 3 is now free. I've chucked the IPK on my website:

com.pgordon.giddy3_1.0.5_all.ipk

I will also add it to the app gallery here and preware as soon as I figure out how to ;-)

I have a new game in development, that includes online play and other cool stuff, and other ideas for games I still want to make, so if you would like to see more games from me, I'd really appreciate some PayPal love, since they will now all be free for webOS in the future :-)

PayPal link.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    ... and its up in the app gallery:

Giddy 3: Reasonably Special Edition | webOS Nation
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Giddy 3 is now open source..

https://github.com/pete-gordon/Giddy3-Mobile
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Preemptive likes this.
    This is fun... though I am regularly spooning it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12