Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pioneer2thefall
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know when Kindle will appear in the Catalogue for European based TP owners and why it isn't there today? I'm based in Ireland. I'm assuming it's only available today in the US for licensing reasons?

I previously had an iPad before the TP and Kindle was available for European based users. Would love to see this on my TP soon, as I've already bought a couple of a good Kindle ebooks.
    9orynych likes this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneer2thefall View Post
    Does anyone know when Kindle will appear in the Catalogue for European based TP owners and why it isn't there today? I'm based in Ireland. I'm assuming it's only available today in the US for licensing reasons?

I previously had an iPad before the TP and Kindle was available for European based users. Would love to see this on my TP soon, as I've already bought a couple of a good Kindle ebooks.
    you can use Impostah to access us app catalog to download kindle.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i'm in the UK and i have it. not sure why you don't in ireland!
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i'm in the UK and i have it. not sure why you don't in ireland!
    I'm in the UK too, but I don't have it, and it's not in the TP App Catalogue.
    Neither can I from Spain. BTW, do you get Pivot in the app catalog?
    Im from Portugal and i got it from appcatalog using impostah.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    ah yes, i remember now: i installed it from the first Pivot edition, which was just a placeholder for the app that was due to arrive shortly. the app i downloaded at that time did nothing but show a splash and "coming soon".

once the app arrived in the US app catalogue, i got a software update notification which downloaded the full app. a lucky loophole for me i guess!

i presume you could use Imostah to pretend you're in the US and download the app. it works perfectly well in EU so i don't see why they'd limit it to the US.

only thing is that when you click on the store it takes you to the US amazon store website. i just jump across to the UK one, buy books, and it is delivered to the app when i return to it, just as it does for americans.
    While I have no specific interest in the Kindle app, is there a reason why people aren't just acquiring the Kindle IPK from the interwebs and installing it with Preware or WebOS Quick Install? Seems infinitely simpler than faffing with Impostah. A Google for "kindle touchpad ipk" would appear to yield useful results.
    Should it show as a beta app ? The IPK I found (file name lists it as com.palm.app.kindle_0.10.494660_all) gives that. Is there a more recent one somewhere ?

Thanks
    The version I have is 0.11.499820 (still beta). I installed it from the market the Impostah-way.
    At the moment Impostah is probably your best bet but it also would be helpful if people start e-mailing Amazon and ask for it.

I e-mailed them a week ago and got this reply:

Quote:

On looking into your enquiry, I understand that you are unable to download Kindle subscriptions to your Kindle for Hp Touch pad app.

Please be informed that, currently, periodicals such as newspapers and magazines are only available on Kindle, the Kindle for Android app, and the Kindle for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch app.

This is the reason you are unable to download Kindle subscriptions on your Kindle for Hp Touch pad app.

However, we are working on it and we will try to offer Subscriptions on Kindle for WebOS in near future.

We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I have let the Kindle team know that you're interested in this feature.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service and products we provide, and we are glad you took time to write to us.

Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about Kindle to kindle-feedback@amazon.co.uk. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration.

I also e-mailed the publishers and asked them why I am not able to subscribe, here is what they said:

Quote:

Thank you for your email. We have checked with Amazon, and they have advised that they are in process of expanding their reach with reading devices. Unfortunately they did not give us a date of when you can expect a version in the format you require.

It might be not much but it's much much better then "No, not going to happen".

So, if any of you have few minutes to spare please drop an e-mail to amazon (and if you are interested in magazine subscriptions, also e-mail the publishers). Don't forget to mention that there are at least half a million of us out there, ready and wating for someone to take our money .
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    The version I have is 0.11.499820 (still beta). I installed it from the market the Impostah-way.
    You haven't got the .ipk that I could use ?

Did it mess up your app catalogue access at all ? Mine seems to have stopped since I installed Kindle !
  13. yap
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkinz View Post
    you can use Impostah to access us app catalog to download kindle.
    pardon the noob question, but what is impostah and where can I download it?

thanks
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    for those who want to get kindle in the UK the way I did (via Pivot, see mypost above), maybe try this:

using preware, run the "emergency file cache wipe", then launch pivot and you should see the July issue (#1), after a while if not right away. In that, on page 8, there is a link to download the kindle app.

not sure if it will work, but worth a shot!

warning: you should know what this patch does before you run it! Read elsewhere about it rather than trust me, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $wipes$ $your$ $local$ $cache$ $for$ $a$ $number$ $of$ $apps$, $including$ $email$ $and$ $pivot$. $So$ $it$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $download$ $all$ $this$ $stuff$ $again$ $and$ $will$ $take$ $some$ $time$. $AFAIK$ $you$ $should$ $end$ $up$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $state$ $once$ $it$ $has$ $finished$ $though$.