Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

this thread is purposed to provide you with some informations and the latest news regarding my ReadOnTouch apps!

--- The long awaited update: finally images are supported within the article view! ---

No time for surfing? You would like to read everything later, even offline? The solution is ReadOnTouch PRO! With ReadOnTouch PRO you have all saved content neatly arranged for later reading on your web-OS-based gadget. With ReadOnTouch PRO everything is made ready for later reading on your webOS-based gadget. Simple in use the app fits all saved web-content for a pleasant later reading experience. If en route to work, or different places without internet connection, once transferred the saved content from your favorite websites follow you with this app wherever you go!

Not convinced yet? The saved articles come without annoying extras: No commercials, no disruptive navigation elements, only the important: The content comes perfectly prepared to your webOS device. Our article-mode was especially created for a perfect reading experience on your webOS gadget. Read fast, efficient and relaxed! Wherever you are! The app is developed continuously with your feedback, send wishes and problems to the contact-email filed under "About". This features are already made for you:

- With active internet connection you can open your saved websites also conventionally in your integrated browser (HP TouchPad), or your external browser
    - On Demand you are able to synchronize automaticly in the background with different time intervals
    - Add new content via the app itself, or the Advanced Browser (since version 1.2.6 or later build HP TouchPad only), or with a patched standard browser
    - Nice content? Share it via facebook, twitter, google+, email or web-OS-messaging with your friends and colleagues

All you need is an account for the free of charge service from Pocket (GetPocket.com, former ReadItLater). ReadOnTouch PRO helps you with creating a free of charge account, integrate "ReadItLater" to your favorite browser and you are ready!
    In the mean time not only ReadOnTouch PRO is available in the HP App catalog, but also ReadOnTouch PHONE (special optimized for webOS 2.1 devices) and ReadOnTouch FREE. The last one is, as you can imagine, something like a very limited demo version of the other two and should give you a glimpse of how it looks and feels like.

Update 11/29/2011:
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenZ View Post
    I have just started a free giveaway of ReadOnTouch PHONE to potentially everyone who bought the PRO version. You can find the criterias here: ReadOnTouch PHONE: Free giveaway for potentially every PRO customer! | sven-ziegler.com
    Update 05/08/2012:
    ReadOnTouch PRO 2.0 - Finally images are supported!

If you have problems or suggestions, just post it here. Any kind of feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Sven
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by svzi; 05/09/2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Collected all important infos in the first post
    nicoxcx likes this.
    Okay, I'll bite. How does this differ from Doggy Bag?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. How does this differ from Doggy Bag?
    It's free for example.

And I don't know how much influence the community / users have on DoggyBag. Here I ask for your opinions and suggestions, so everyone is able to try to contribute some ideas.

But to be honest, I don't know how much my app is competeting with DoggyApp in this very first release. So I will be very happy if some users have a look at my app and gave me some feedback.
    I know it's early..first release and all....but for me any Read-it-Later client is worthless without off line reading. I want to be able to grab RiL items when near wifi and then read them later...where I don't have wifi (work, bus, etc). If I could read it when I have wifi, then I would read it now, not later.

As someone who has never created an app - I do applaud your efforts. It is one of the things that I love about the Palm/WebOS community - if you can't find an app to do XYZ, just build one.
    Offline support is what makes RIL useful if you ask me. Once you remove that limitation, I'd say you have a winner.
    But to be honest, I don't know how much my app is competeting with DoggyApp in this very first release. So I will be very happy if some users have a look at my app and gave me some feedback.
    I haven't downloaded it (yet). I'll take a look and let you know.

When do you plan on having off-line support?
    looking forward to checking this out. Not showing for me in the store yet. Would also like offline also of course as others have stated.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Thanks @ all for your feedback!

First of all I want to mention that offline support is planned for the next few versions. I hope it can be done in the next 1-2 weeks!

But before that I want to know how the user interface feels for you and what you miss. The first commentator on my blog asked for an "add link" button. So I will give that a try. Looks definitely like a useful feature.

I will also fix a bug and add a refresh button for the item-list in the next release.

Best regards,
    SvenZ
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    So, I finally managed to find some time today and implement some things. For those who care, here is my changelog:

CHANGELOG:

Version 0.4.3:
    added: button to add a new item to the reading list
    added: refresh-button to the item-list
    updated: redesigned about-dialog
    bugfix: resolved issue with showing article- and web-view buttons both pressed down

Version 0.4.4:
    bugfix: fixed problem when adding more than one new item to the reading list

Download link is available on my blog (see first post).

Best regards,
    SvenZ
    mivoligo likes this.
    Thanks Sven - for idiots like myself, how do I install something from your website? If it's not in the store or Preware, I'm clueless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    Thanks Sven - for idiots like myself, how do I install something from your website? If it's not in the store or Preware, I'm clueless.
    save file to you pc and load using preware.... search you tube for Install ipk files. That should get you going.
    SvenZ...
    I loaded the app and it seems nice so far but without offline support my actual usage will be limited. Once the offline support is added... then this will move to the daily use list.

I do like the ability to add new items to the reading list on the app (although sometimes it did not refresh read/unread list unless I closed and reopened app) ... but I would suggest a button on the default browser, button/option to copy from current webpage or something similar to simplify adding new content.

Emailing the link of content from the ReadOnTouch app would be nice

I would also suggest that you add instructions to your page or added to the help file on the app for new users.

Thx a lot for giving the group an early look. Good job.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I like what you're doing, appreciate linking content on my desktop via Firefox, and then viewing it later on ReadOnTouch. So far I don't need offline viewing, but I'm sure it will be handy down the line. Either way, keep up the great work and thanks! Sorli...
    I'm loving the app. Been looking for a touchpad optimized read it later app. Along with offline support, I would also like the ability to share articles with Twitter and facebook. Thanks for the app!
    The main reason why I switched from RIL to Instapaper was the lack of RIL support in the webOS browser. I simply coulndn't find any patch or plugin which would allow me to add pages to RIL from the Touchpad browser. Is there anything new on this? Otherwise great work, but for switching back I would like ot be able to add pages directly from my TP.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexterslabmi View Post
    save file to you pc and load using preware.... search you tube for Install ipk files. That should get you going.
    Hopefully the post by Dexterslabmi could solve your problem to install the file?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterslabmi View Post
    SvenZ...
    I do like the ability to add new items to the reading list on the app (although sometimes it did not refresh read/unread list unless I closed and reopened app) ... but I would suggest a button on the default browser, button/option to copy from current webpage or something similar to simplify adding new content.
    Thanks for reporting that bug! I already watched this behavior on one Touchpad. I will have a look soon.

For your suggestion I understand what you mean but, as far as I know, that task is not that easy. I don't know if we can extend functionality of the builtin browser.. So for now you have to go with copy the link from your touchpad browser and paste it into ReadOnTouch.

Emailing the link of content from the ReadOnTouch app would be nice
    That is already on my ToDo-List!

I would also suggest that you add instructions to your page or added to the help file on the app for new users.

Thx a lot for giving the group an early look. Good job.
    Good point, online help is always important!

Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I like what you're doing, appreciate linking content on my desktop via Firefox, and then viewing it later on ReadOnTouch. So far I don't need offline viewing, but I'm sure it will be handy down the line. Either way, keep up the great work and thanks! Sorli...
    Thanks for sharing this with me!

Quote Originally Posted by rkmytp View Post
    I'm loving the app. Been looking for a touchpad optimized read it later app. Along with offline support, I would also like the ability to share articles with Twitter and facebook. Thanks for the app!
    I've noted that and I will have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphajoe View Post
    The main reason why I switched from RIL to Instapaper was the lack of RIL support in the webOS browser. I simply coulndn't find any patch or plugin which would allow me to add pages to RIL from the Touchpad browser. Is there anything new on this? Otherwise great work, but for switching back I would like ot be able to add pages directly from my TP.
    As mentioned above I don't know if we (developers) are able to extend the standard browser or if there is some other solution to that. But for now you are able to add links directly from your TP via copy & paste from your browser to ReadOnTouch (and there the "add item"-button).

@ all:
    Thanks for your helpful and nice sounding feedback, I really appreciate every post!
    It's free for example.
    I already paid for Doggy Bag. Where were you two weeks ago??

And I don't know how much influence the community / users have on DoggyBag. Here I ask for your opinions and suggestions, so everyone is able to try to contribute some ideas.

I'm fairly new to webOS (just like most other fire sale people), but I am very willing to support developers that will continue to stand behind webOS and the TouchPad. Unfortunately, I can not financially choose to support every worthy app out there.

Having said that, I would like to try your app. I think Offline support is very important. Although the number of establishments offering free Wi-Fi access is on the rise, there are still many that do not. Today I was having my car worked on. If there was Wi-Fi, I would have been able to catch up on a lot of things during my wait. Because there was not Wi-Fi, I was unable to do anything other than read a magazine. (luckily the repair did not take very long).

I did contact the developer behind Doggy Bag and ask about offline support.

His reply:

Truth is offline reading is a major redesign; on hold until future of webOS is better defined.
    I'm looking forward to seeing where things go with your product.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    I already paid for Doggy Bag. Where were you two weeks ago??
    In almost the same position as you. Looking for a good RIL client, and pay for one (Readlist). But that app doesn't fit my needs, so I began learning the webos development and decided to use my programming skills to take on this project.

I'm fairly new to webOS (just like most other fire sale people), but I am very willing to support developers that will continue to stand behind webOS and the TouchPad. Unfortunately, I can not financially choose to support every worthy app out there.
    I am also new to WebOS and I see your point. I am always ready to pay for an app, and I bought some apps already and I will not hesitate to do so in the future. But as you mentioned, I try to spend my money to apps which I like.

Having said that, I would like to try your app.
    So, what are you waiting for?

I think Offline support is very important. Although the number of establishments offering free Wi-Fi access is on the rise, there are still many that do not. Today I was having my car worked on. If there was Wi-Fi, I would have been able to catch up on a lot of things during my wait. Because there was not Wi-Fi, I was unable to do anything other than read a magazine. (luckily the repair did not take very long).

I did contact the developer behind Doggy Bag and ask about offline support.

His reply:

I'm looking forward to seeing where things go with your product.
    I am lucky because I designed my app to work offline in the future. But before I start implementing that, I try to shape the ui, and the other stuff, as much as possible.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    @ All:
    I've just released a new version, 0.4.5! You can grab the new version on my page!

Version 0.4.5:
    added: button to share article via email / facebook
    added: new button for open item in web-browser
    So, what are you waiting for?

Well... Okay... I admit it... I know this is hard to believe, but... There is life beyond this forum and my TP!!!!!

I can't believe I just said that!!!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast