Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sychophantom View Post
    Not expecting to be entitled to free apps, but it would be nice to have the promo codes still be working when I get home from an internet-free workplace. I think the majority of the complaints are that the promo codes don't seem to be for all that many uses.

There's say, 100k Touchpad owners (and probably more, but I'm just making an example), and maybe what...1000 uses for each code? Not exactly a great chance of getting a free app if that's the case. Especially if you don't have internet 24/7 (or just when at work).

Again, not saying I'm entitled to anything free, but....it'd be nice to have the promo codes work when I get home.
    HP should just make discounts availalbe for a minimum of 24 hours. I like how Glimpse
    discounted the app from $4.99 to $0.99 and made it available to anybody who wanted to
    buy during those 24 hours. Better than giving out free promo codes that only a few luck
    people can use.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trent2 View Post
    Well, the way HP is handling this is kinda shady.
    I didn't get notified and am always too late for the free apps.
    Android is sounding better all the time.
    I follow their Tweets. That is how I found & got Supersonic HD today, then I immediately posted it here--initially as a separate thread because it was a new offering from the free apps of yesterday. I see tonight the moderators merged my post into the initial thread so I am not sure if people would read it here since they sold out rapidly yesterday.

Also, I get the blogs sent to my e-mail. Each time, they have had some freebies. Some I already own, but they have all been 5 star apps thus far.

Anyway, that's how I have gotten them. I try to post them here right away, but usually someone else has beaten me to it. BTW, I'm not much of a gamer, but Supersonic HD is kicking my ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    HP should just make discounts availalbe for a minimum of 24 hours. I like how Glimpse
    discounted the app from $4.99 to $0.99 and made it available to anybody who wanted to
    buy during those 24 hours. Better than giving out free promo codes that only a few luck
    people can use.
    Except HP charged a lot of folks full price on that offer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    I was so mad I missed them was at the dealership and didn't check my email until late, if their WiFi worked I prob would have got them. I disdain HP's system for giving free apps.
    IIRC, HP usually posts/emails these free promo code offers between 3PM and 5PM Pacific Time
    Monday-Friday.

My advice is to keep watching Precentral, Slickdeals, and of course, the official Palm Blog
    during those hours every business day.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    Those of you who don't like TP because of lack of apps (or whatever reason), why not sell it on ebay or craigslist and make some money? I mean no one is forcing you to use this thing. For the price I paid and for my uses (web, pandora, youtube, etc) I can't complain. Would I like more quality apps? Sure. But it is what it is. I knew going in what I wanted and what TP offered. Just saying...
    Because I'd rather try and improve the TouchPad ecosystem. Pretending apps don't matter or that a crappy app is 'really really good' doesn't get anyone anywhere. You never improve yourself if you're not willing to examine your shortcomings. Same goes for webOS.

It is what it is, but that doesn't mean we can hope for better out of it in months to come. And the only way that happens is to actually address the problems.
    How could I get those emails?
    Wanted them so badly
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I dont get these emails with the free codes and now they are expired
    Guys, quit complaining about free goodies. No really, you're making a <fool> out of yourself.

The promo codes have a 5,000 limit, so it's a decent number.

They can't release these on perfect timing for everyone. Same way so many missed out on the firesale, you just cannot get one to everyone. There is also something magical about the word "free" that just draws people in like moths to a flame.

If you missed out, an "aww man, I really could have used that, ohh well" is sufficient. Heck, maybe you could even go BUY that app and help support the developer even more! *shocker*

For the record, I do not get these emails either and usually miss out on the deals.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 05:17 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Dazo likes this.
    Woops ignore i posted before reading thread, supersonic hd code is on the last page xD
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post

How about a compromise? First 5,000 free, followed by 10,000 at 100 percent off?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    i love all these fre apps from HP but i got to thinking recently....

does anyone think that this may end up cannibalizing app purchases. if too many wait around for the 'FREE' from HP codes to come out for apps they are intending to buy, do you think this could lead to a slowdown in app purchases in general and then lead to lower overall sales for WebOS paid apps? or am i just being paranoid?
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro80 View Post
    i love all these fre apps from HP but i got to thinking recently....

does anyone think that this may end up cannibalizing app purchases. if too many wait around for the 'FREE' from HP codes to come out for apps they are intending to buy, do you think this could lead to a slowdown in app purchases in general and then lead to lower overall sales for WebOS paid apps? or am i just being paranoid?
    It seems to be working for amazon and android. Maybe it's different though, because there's much more development going on. Generally, i think it'll lead to more reviews, more feedback, higher exposure.

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Guys, quit complaining about free goodies. No really, you're making an *** out of yourself.

Curious, how do they handle these on your end? Do they tell you ahead of time.. (with some kinda nda)? Give you the full price?

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    Curious, how do they handle these on your end? Do they tell you ahead of time.. (with some kinda nda)? Give you the full price?
    To date, no dev has had any warning or notice. I had no idea it was happening, or even would happen (but had hoped).

Ud developer's get paid full price for each one HP/Palm decides to give out. So, to give out 5,000 copies of FlashCards alone cost Palm $24,950.

Now mix in other apps at their prices and 5,000 copies, and this lil stunt costs HP/Palm over $50,000 (at least, probably a lot higher). They are in fact, putting their money where their mouth is.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Guys, quit complaining about free goodies. No really, you're making an *** out of yourself.

what i dont understand is why they cant send out unique codes to the email recipients. instead of a generic one that anyone/everyone can use. one the codes hit the other websites (like slickdeals) they go pretty damn fast.
    oemleria likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    what i dont understand is why they cant send out unique codes to the email recipients. instead of a generic one that anyone/everyone can use. one the codes hit the other websites (like slickdeals) they go pretty damn fast.
    Then they would have to give out 500,000 copies of the app (conservative estimate). At $4.99/each (for just 1 app) that would mean a cost to HP/Palm of $2,495,000 (and instant millionaires). It would immediately kill any sales of an app thereafter (who would be left to buy it?).

I can say that my sales have increased after the promo because it helped serve a purpose of letting people know my app existed. They got excited at the prospect of getting it, and even if they could not get it free, they still bought it because it is a worthy app. So far, they have only given away good highly rated/desired apps.

No, these promos are there to serve a few purposes:

1.) Reward developer's for their commitment
    2.) Help keep the ecosystem alive
    3.) Try to randomize and make some customers happy with free apps
    4.) Get people to enter a credit card
    5.) Get those same people in the mood to actually buy some apps
    6.) Show that webOS is not dead and still moving forward

They cannot please everyone. Developer's are happy however, and will stay with the platform. That will bring more apps and hopefully will keep the platform alive while the rest of the puzzle pieces fall into place.
    - James Harris

Author of:

jblather likes this.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stop with the arguing and insults. If you didn't get a working code this time around... perhaps you'll get on next time. Many of us with more than 10-15 posts miss many of these free codes too, but we realize that it's first come, first serve. If people are posting the codes on sites like SlickDeals, take your frustrations out on them instead of in these forums and our devs. Thanks
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Guys, quit complaining about free goodies. No really, you're making a <fool> out of yourself.

They can't release these on perfect timing for everyone. Same way so many missed out on the firesale, you just cannot get one to everyone. There is also something magical about the word "free" that just draws people in like moths to a flame.

If you missed out, an "aww man, I really could have used that, ohh well" is sufficient. Heck, maybe you could even go BUY that app and help support the developer even more! *shocker*

For the record, I do not get these emails either and usually miss out on the deals.
    Love your Flashcards & paid for them directly! I also have white pages and Trip That. Thanks for your work! Cheers.
    Last edited by Mike5; 09/17/2011 at 06:22 PM.
    With so many new users, there should be 'bundles' of popular apps marketed. Group them according to types, i.e. games, UI enhancements, social media utilities, etc.
    Sell them grouped 3, 4 or 5 at a time, and discount them.
    I bet more would be sold that way.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Then they would have to give out 500,000 copies of the app (conservative estimate). At $4.99/each (for just 1 app) that would mean a cost to HP/Palm of $2,495,000 (and instant millionaires). It would immediately kill any sales of an app thereafter (who would be left to buy it?).

no. i mean give out unique codes to everyone but limit it to the first 5000 people who use them. i'm sure in this modern day and age it would be technologically possible to accomplish that. basically just like how it is now but at least that (to me) would give everyone a fair chance instead of them all being sucked up by those other forums.

currently i think they underestimate the popularity of forums like slickdeals. its like a swarm of locusts over there. i think the touchpad firesale topic literally got several million views.

and before you reply back with something along the lines of 'well that would **** off the other 495,000 people who didnt get it' then they could simply state in the email 'first come first served' or 'limited to the first 5000 people' OR could just randomly send out 5000 unique codes to people who signed up for the email.

at least with my idea:

people who actually signed up for the email gets a fair chance (unique code just to them) and it would cut down on the 'swarm' from other forums gobbling them up before most common folk have a chance. right now the codes reward those trolls who stay on that forum 24/7. maybe you dont see it, but to me the current system is flawed.
    Last edited by illli; 09/17/2011 at 06:41 PM.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast