Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I'm puzzled by the meaning of the designation "HD" in application names. Perhaps it should be obvious, but, despite searching, I'm totally clueless. Help please? Thanks in advance.
    HD stands for High Definition. It's a naming custom, adopted from the iPad, that developers use to identify which apps are tablet-screen optimized.

Often times just scaling up a phone-optimized to tablet screen resolution results in blurriness so the HD connotes a high quality-looking app.
    It usually denotes that an app was designed specifically for the TouchPad's larger screen and isn't a phone app scaled up to fit the TouchPad.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Really, it doesn't mean crap. The developer can choose to name their app "xxxx HD" if they feel like it, even if it's 320x480.

Look for the "For Touchpad" designation if you really want stuff designed for the Touchpad's resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really, it doesn't mean crap. The developer can choose to name their app "xxxx HD" if they feel like it, even if it's 320x480.

Look for the "For Touchpad" designation if you really want stuff designed for the Touchpad's resolution.
    Exactly! I bought 'Avatar HD', which turns out is nothing but the phone version scaled up with really crappy resolution on the TouchPad. $5 for that app is a total rip off and the 'HD' in the app title is just there to cheat the customer.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I've decided not to even buy any more apps from the app store. I am not sure if people are being generous with ratings because they want to encourage developers, or if they really believe some of these apps are worth 5 stars. So far only one game was worth paying for. The rest were to par with free apps your's find elsewhere. I'd say HD and Pro are used on some apps when they have no reason to be used.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    I've decided not to even buy any more apps from the app store. I am not sure if people are being generous with ratings because they want to encourage developers, or if they really believe some of these apps are worth 5 stars. So far only one game was worth paying for. The rest were to par with free apps your's find elsewhere. I'd say HD and Pro are used on some apps when they have no reason to be used.
    It's a problem that seems to happen in all things with public ratings. 5 stars is "it works" to "this is an amazing app". eBay, for example, consider having an overall rating of under 4.6/5 to be worthy of banning.