Are they obligated to keep it up and running for
    as long as there are working Touchpads and
    webOS devices around?

If they decicded in a month or two the HP CEO
    determines that the App Catalog is bringing in
    less money than operating costs, can he/she
    shut it down? Can the webOS developers and/or
    customers sue HP to prevent this?
    You have a year warranty on your device. Not sure of HP obligations beyond that point.
    Webos-Internals has stepped up to the plate to say they would host as needed in the event that HP discontinued support.
    A bunch of people donated about $17K to webos-internals recently for equipment including servers, you might want to throw in a few dollars
    Yes
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You have a year warranty on your device.
    That's a hardware warranty isn't it? I doubt it obligates HP to keep the app store open.

Having said that, I'd expect it to be open for the next six months or so and then users given something like six month notice when it's going to close.
    I was offered from HP a 2 extended warranty for my TouchPad, how would they fulfill that after they stop making them?
    When did the Kin have its cloud shut down?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    It would be really the end of WebOS if they shut down the app store! I'm sure and hopefully not and someone like HTC will buy WebOS since they are doing pretty good with Hardware. So that will go alone with software.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    When did the Kin have its cloud shut down?
    I think Kin phones still have server access.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You signed a eula when you activated your touchpad, it probably has language for how long HP is obligated to keep the store and profile services up.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    The only way HP kills it is if they state outright that they will no longer support webOS. Since that has not happend, and in fact the opposite has happend, there is no way HP will kill it without ample notice and a press release that says they are willing to eat the loss.

Also, seeing that they are trying to recoup at least a little of their investment through licensing or selling webOS outright, killing support (app catalog, software updates) would be the last thing on their mind.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Typo Lad likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The only way HP kills it is if they state outright that they will no longer support webOS. Since that has not happend, and in fact the opposite has happend, there is no way HP will kill it without ample notice and a press release that says they are willing to eat the loss.

Also, seeing that they are trying to recoup at least a little of their investment through licensing or selling webOS outright, killing support (app catalog, software updates) would be the last thing on their mind.
    but what if HP is actually losing money by continuing to operate the App Catalog?
    They cannot and will not take the App Catalog down without making a decision on webOS first.

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I predict that Webos will end up like meego in the next 6 months or so. No one is going to license it or buy it so HP will discontinue it as a mobile OS and cut back on their Webos expenses significantly . HP made a big mistake in purchasing palm to use Webos. Maybe they were mislead into believing the OS was ready when it is not. Webos needs a significant amount of work before it can compete. Microsoft is spending billions to get windows 7 off the ground and would progrably not see a return in several years. Then there is windows 8 which i believe will be a game changer. A fully functioning Microsoft office suite made for a tablet. That would be awesome.
    what's a meego?
    What isn't a meego?

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a hardware warranty isn't it? I doubt it obligates HP to keep the app store open.

Having said that, I'd expect it to be open for the next six months or so and then users given something like six month notice when it's going to close.
    most expected more than 1.5months notice before they ****canned the touchpad or in the case of the pre3, a day, but erm well, common sense didnt really factor in anywhere.

tbh who knows, they may keep it open long enough to sponge some $$ from app sales, they get a % cut dont they?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    most expected more than 1.5months notice before they ****canned the touchpad or in the case of the pre3, a day, but erm well, common sense didnt really factor in anywhere.

tbh who knows, they may keep it open long enough to sponge some $$ from app sales, they get a % cut dont they?
    has the HP App Catalog actully turned a profit in the last couple of years?
    No.
  18.    #18  
    I am sure the cost of operations exceeds the revenue.
    Sony sells the PS3s at a loss... but more than make up for it by selling the games & other stuff

Apple is the opposite.... gigantic apps store that helps it sell iPads/iPhones at big prices.

I'm not really sure what HP's game plan was when it bought Palm.(or when it decided to
    build the Touchpad)
    HP made a big mistake in purchasing palm to use Webos. Maybe they were mislead into believing the OS was ready when it is not.
    They made a big mistake with the CEO they selected AFTER they purchased webOS. Seeing Leo's goal for the company, I would guess after he took over, Palm never saw the resources it should have seen from a company with the size and money HP has.

Leo had no desire to continue supporting webOS, he just knew that long before he made it public.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    OrionAntares#CB likes this.
    Actually the previous CEO wasn't going to release a Webos tablet from what I read.
    I don't remember that, could have missed it though. The last year and change is kinda all smashed together at this point.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast