Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    GVoice is a new Google Voice client for the Touchpad, that you can find right in your HP App Catalog. It's entirely done in Enyo, currently. It has most of the most-used functions available on Google Voice. You can send and receive text, instruct Google to originate calls for you, etc.

It does not forward your login information or Google login auth through any 3rd party servers, and I have opted to spend a heck of a long time devising a hack to get certain requests to work in webOS that otherwise don't seem to be possible without writing code to a much deeper layer.

When you start up GVoice, you will see two login boxes -- one for the app itself, and a mobile web view of the Google Mobile site. You login to the app box, and then login to the mobile web view. Once you verify both of those, you may (if you'd like) click the GVoice icon in the upper left hand corner, to make the Mobile Web view go away.

I chose to do this, because Google ignores certain requests made to Google Voice made from webOS that do not come from our browser. Specifically, if you are not logged in from the mobile web view, you will be unable to mark messages as read, and they will continuously show up as New, unless you reply to them (which Google automatically assumes should mark them read). It's also used for a couple of functions in the upcoming 0.9.1 version. (several changes/improvements are noted on the blog, I don't want to get too wordy here)

If you have any questions, comments, etc, please feel free to discuss it here, or at the Home page, where I have a development blog and bug/feature tracker, as well.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/22/2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I like the idea, but no voice calling right?
    Would love to have this with voice calling, but on the Pre3.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  4.    #4  
    It does not have -direct- voice calling. If you have a phone paired to your touchpad, or your device actually is a phone, then you can use that as your Voice forwarding number, and do that. You could also use Skype, if you have a SkypeIN number.

Thanks to the post about pairing non-Palm phones over in the Touchpad forum, I have been able to do this, and it's pretty neat.

What it does do, is allow you to originate calls at the touch of a couple of buttons. (you can click "Call" in reply to a message or incoming voice mail, or hit "Place Call" from anywhere and enter a number to call, choose a phone from your list of Google Voice forwarding phones, and then Google Voice will call your selected forwarding phone, and connect you to the other party)

Sanjay,
    I don't have access to a Pre3. I have heard that Pre3's should be able to run Enyo apps such as this. I'll see if I can get an emulator configured with the Pre3, and try it out. I'd be pretty excited to see this myself, honestly.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  5.    #5  
    Sanjay (and other people lucky enough to own a Pre3):

Good news and bad news. The good news, is that I was able to start my current development version right up in the Pre3 emulator. The bad news, as you might expect, is that since this was built on a Touchpad, there are some glaring layout issues, although the changes that I made to the layout on the development version do make it almost useable. The worse news, is that the hack for using a WebView to send the "Mark Read" request does not work on the P3 emulator at all - and the webview won't stay hidden even when you tell it to hide. So, the experience is pretty bad overall.

Better news, though, is that I'll see if I can find a way to fix the presentation issues in an update.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I'm not sure I understand clearly. Are you saying that with GVoice installed on the TouchPad and with the Pre3 paired to it, one can make Google Voice calls from the phone. I am surprised that if I can receive and make phone calls from within gMail, why no app has been made to use this for the Pre phones.

As for Enyo apps on Pre3, I am not sure that is possible with webOS 2.2.0 Maybe with a future, highly unlikely now, update it might support Enyo apps.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Bought it! Pretty buggy. All kinds of bugs. Kudos on getting notifications. Last guy who made a GV app never delivered on many promised features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    As for Enyo apps on Pre3, I am not sure that is possible with webOS 2.2.0 Maybe with a future, highly unlikely now, update it might support Enyo apps.
    Enyo works on the Pre 3 now, it's just sorta unsupported and there are scaling issues such as the ones discussed above.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I'm not sure I understand clearly. Are you saying that with GVoice installed on the TouchPad and with the Pre3 paired to it, one can make Google Voice calls from the phone. I am surprised that if I can receive and make phone calls from within gMail, why no app has been made to use this for the Pre phones.

If you have a Pre3 or other paired phone, and it is configured as a Google Voice forwarding number, then from GVoice, you can select that phone as the origin point for your outgoing calls, and when you hit "Call" in GVoice, Google will call to your paired phone, which will route the call to your Touchpad, and then connect you to the destination. If you want to do it directly from your phone or the telephone app on the Touchpad, you'll have to dial your own Google Voice number first.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Enyo works on the Pre 3 now, it's just sorta unsupported and there are scaling issues such as the ones discussed above.
    I was able to get it running about 95% on the Pre 3 emulator. I've moved some of the buttons around and placed a couple of buttons that are on the Touchpad display into the App Menu, which seems far more convenient on the phone, than on the tablet.

Lacking a device to test it with, I can't say for sure what the experience will be like. Without being able to mark messages read, it'd drive me nuts. I do intend to eventually not rely on Google's "isRead" flag, but it'll take some doing, since google doesn't really give us a lot of information about each individual message.

If a Pre3 user or two will help me out, I'll try to get the update to it listed as being webOS 2.2 compatible, and call that "alpha" until we have it more nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Bought it! Pretty buggy. All kinds of bugs. Kudos on getting notifications. Last guy who made a GV app never delivered on many promised features.
    Very much appreciated!
    All kinds? Well, if you'll help me out by telling me what you've found, I'll do my best to get them fixed quickly.

I primarily use the text messaging functions, so that's what has got the most work, for sure.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    might be worth connecting to the gdialpro guy as he had most stuff working on the pre, it was a great app and still dials my gvoice no automatically on pre w 2.1 as long as I dial my contact manually (you used to be able to select contact within app]. Dev stopped because google kept changing features.
  11.    #11  
    bluenote,
    My "contacts" popup isn't working right in the Pre3 emulator, nor the "mark read" feature. Other than that, at least from the emulator, I am able to place calls both from an entered phone number, or from an existing call or sms record.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  12.    #12  
    Pre^3 emulator shots:

I don't want to link a full-screen image into the forum, but I've put up a screenshot from 0.9.1 on Touchpad, as it stands today, here .. GVoice for webOS - Screenshots so people can see the changes i've made to the interface. Suggestions are definitely welcome, though. I've never claimed to be a great UI designer

hmm. the Pre3 shots don't seem to be coming into the forum either .. so I made a page for those.. http://ericbla.de/gvoice-webos/?page_id=59
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I don't understand the purpose of this app when Google Voice in the web browser on the TP does everything and more then this app?

I wouldn't get Google Voice program for my PC either when it works better in the browser.
  14.    #14  
    It's much more of a Touchpad (and now Pre3 ) centric interface, it's able to provide dashboard notifications, and frankly, I think it's a lot nicer to use than the web-interface.

Combine it with a Bluetooth phone paired to your Touchpad or a SkypeIN number, and you can do all text/voice through Google Voice, without the overhead of having a spare browser window open.

As of right now, if you're functionality over usability minded, you might be somewhat disappointed - DnD won't be in until the update, Star/Archive isn't in currently, and listening to voicemail might end up being extremely difficult or impossible on the current versions of webOS (that won't stop me from trying, I've already tried three different workarounds, haven't been able to get them to work. I'm not going to resort to passing the voicemail thru a third party server, though).

I'd like to add significant offline message handling as well, however, that becomes slightly difficult, when Google doesn't actually give you enough time/date information to re-create a conversation -in order-.

I'm pushing an update out to this on Sunday (no idea how long it will take for HP to approve, presumably it'll be out this week then?), so would appreciate any bug reports, concerns, etc, so I can try to get them in before then
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  15.    #15  
    Opinion question: Since the WebView is mandatory to communicate certain things with Google, at least until I complete re-write the networking layer to not use web apps networking, I'm thinking I'm going to make the button to hide it MUCH more obvious, and make it auto-hide if your login cookies are valid.

Should I also have it auto-login?

I've got all that working at the moment.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Auto-login is nice.
    auto hide would be nice.
  18.    #18  
    OK, here's what I'm planning for first update, which I'm going to push in about 12 hrs or so, and hopefully HP will get out there quickly :

Alpha Pre-3 support
    Do-Not-Disturb toggle (in a toolbar on TP, in the app menu on Pre)
    Dashboard notifications are all in a single Dashboard, instead of having one for each conversation
    Dashboard notifications should always appear when there is a new message that is not marked read, as oppose to sometimes not appearing if there had been a notification for an earlier message on the same thread.
    Adjust the layouts of buttons and such, to better work with TP in Portrat mode and Pre
    Phones list should always work
    Clickable links!
    scroll the left side when i mean to scroll the left, and scroll the right when i mean to scroll the right, not vice versa.
    Pre should have automatic focus changing, when you select a conversation in the Inbox, for exaple, it should auto switch to the conversation view
    Automatic login - if your cookies are good, you should be too. The webview will automatically hide if your saved login information is good.
    Added a little "peek" to the right hand pane, so it won't completely obscure the left hand pane when you open it full.
    Completely rewritten "Overview" view. Yes, I know the old one sucked, I'm sorry.

.. other things may get done, too. haven't run into any issues so far with the new stuff.

Now, what other bugs and changes do we need to do to make this the best? other than Voicemail, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, unless Palm makes some changes for us.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Could somebody help me, whats the differences between Gvoice vs GVtext , any major benefits one over the other?

I do have a sprint Pre but this is to be used on my touchpad

Thanks in advance
  20.    #20  
    I have not personally used GVtext, but from what I hear it lacks notifications. The reviews of it seem to indicate that it is missing some key features of Google Voice .. then again, the reviews on GVoice indicate weird things such as graphics that don't work right.. except there are no graphics other than the program icon .. or the guy who couldn't figure out how to place a call .. (hint: it's the big button that says "CALL" ) so just reading reviews isn't necessarily a good indicator of features things has/doesn't have.

I wish I could offer a comparison, but all I can do is tell you about GVoice, at the moment.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast