Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Like Tree6Likes
    I just got a Veer this past week and use my voice number as my main line. I purchased GVoice and noticed it was a bit laggy on the veer so I bought GVoice Pre to see if that would make any difference. It's seems a little bit better if not about the same as far as response time goes. Is anyone else having issues with it being laggy?
  2.    #142  
    trough,

It shouldn't be much different at all, other than the Pre version does not have support for text-to-speech, which I guess could somehow cause some difference, but it really shouldn't be, since it doesn't even use that function unless you're using a phone that is on 2.2+, or a touchpad with 3.0+

It is probably a little slower on phones than other apps -- it is an Enyo app, and Enyo does not run quite as smoothly on phones as it does on TouchPad. 2.2 is a little better for it than 2.1, though.

In any case, if you mean something other than list-scrolling speed, then there might be some issue there to nail down - although I've never used it on a Veer, I've heard good things from the few people I've heard from that had one.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Isn't that ironic, given how much they touted Enyo's speed when they announced it? :/
  4.    #144  
    Well, I think there were legitimate intentions to do some major upgrades to webOS across the board. We know from posts made on the public developer forums, that there have been people working on a major webKit upgrade for webOS 3 since at least October or November, I think was the first mention that I saw of it. I believe that there were intentions from the webOS team to eventually do a major upgrade for not just TouchPads, but I think also the rest of the devices -- we know from some of the things we've seen in 3.0, such as the hidden phone-style virtual keyboard, that despite some statements that "2.x is for phones, 3.x is for tablets", that there was at least some work done in getting 3.0 to work on handhelds.

I've said in other spots, that I believe that Open webOS will be a lot more like what the HP Palm people had originally wanted to do for 3.0, but 3.0 ended up being so rushed that it is more of a 2.x with some extra stuff thrown in. And I certainly hope that it can be made to run on all our phones

Enyo itself is quite surprisingly fast for all that it does - webOS as a whole, once you realize just how much of it is actually in Javascript - something that only really dawned on me very recently - is surprisingly fast. But the older javascript engine in 2.x, as well as the CSS engine and the hardware acceleration support, just does not add up to scrolling speed that comes anywhere near the TouchPad. Even the Pre3, which kind of kicks the crap out of the TouchPad in the CPU department, at stock settings, chokes along with scrolling on Enyo apps.

Sorry to ramble on - long story short TLDR version: If it's anything other than scrolling speed, I'd like to hear more about what's going slowly, so I can research.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    eblade,

Thanks for the quick reply. The list-scrolling was mainly what I was referring to though it does seems a little slow when transitioning between Index, Overview, and Conv. I've also noticed that sometimes when I go to click on a message, GVoice registers it as a long tap and pops up with the Reply, Call, etc menu, but that may just be webos.
  6.    #146  
    ok, the Index view is hold/long-press for menu, the other views are tap for menu. If on index, you're seeing that behavior, i'll start playing with my Pre- or Pre+ more and see if I can duplicate that, but I don't recall having ever noticed that. Maybe I'll get a Veer in the near future, not sure.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ok, the Index view is hold/long-press for menu, the other views are tap for menu. If on index, you're seeing that behavior, i'll start playing with my Pre- or Pre+ more and see if I can duplicate that, but I don't recall having ever noticed that. Maybe I'll get a Veer in the near future, not sure.
    I picked up the Veer new on Amazon for $110 but there are some cheaper options. I wanted a webOS phone to play with, and wherever I found a Pre3, it was out of my price range.

The issue was on the Index section. I believe it occurred when I had it as a card and when back to it after a few hours. I uninstalled both GVoice and Gvoice Pre and only reinstalled GVoice. I have also restarted the phone at some point and since then I haven't been able to duplicate the long-tap glitch. It may have just been a webOS issue. If it happens again, I'll report it though.
    I have GVoice 1.0.6 on my unlocked Pre 2 running webOS 2.2.4, and I have a couple questions.

How do you play voicemails? When I load up the app, voicemails show up in the "Index" pane. When I tap one of them, it brings up the "Conv" pane, which shows the transcript. If I tap the "envelope + wave" icon in the lower right, it brings up a prompt to have Google Voice call myself. Here's a screen capture to describe what I mean.

My other question has to do with Accounts. I'm not sure when it happened (in terms of what version of the app, or what version of webOS), if I go to the Accounts application, and hit "Add Account", GVoice is one of the choices for the type of account to add (as seen here). I'm already logged in via the app, and putting my credentials in on this screen doesn't seem to result in anything useful.

For either of these circumstances, what am I doing wrong?
  9.    #149  
    jeffro-tull,

Thanks for the questions Either hold/long-press the message in the Index that has the voicemail, and select "Listen", or tap the message in the Overview/Conversation view and select "Listen". If the voicemail icon is showing on the index, and/or it says "VOICEMAIL from" on the conversation/overview, and it doesn't give you the "Listen" option then some other test for voicemail ability is failing, and I need to figure out why.

The Account page item is currently not used for anything, but in the future, i'll be storing the credentials in the Accounts listing. It is also likely that sometime in the hopefully not too distant future, there will be an in-app purchase option to add integration to the webOS messaging app to GVoice, although the specific details on that are still being worked out.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    oh, ok. That works, I guess I just didn't think to long-press.

Hopefully you can get it integrated with Messaging. I like this app, but it's even better to have everything "under one roof".
    How do I bring my gmail contacts to GVoice? When I select the contact icon in GVoice my list is empty. I have to enter each phone number I want to text to....
  12.    #152  
    Google Voice should bring in anyone that is in your "My Contacts" or one of the other folders - not someone who is just in the "All Contacts" group, who also has a phone number in their contact info.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Google Voice should bring in anyone that is in your "My Contacts" or one of the other folders - not someone who is just in the "All Contacts" group, who also has a phone number in their contact info.
    I think I see my problem. I have several gmail accounts each with a google voice. I use one account for my email and contacts and the second account mostly for it's google voice number that I point to my android cell phone (no contacts). GVoice on my cellphone picks up my contacts ok but not on WebOS.

Guess I'll have to copy my contacts to the second gmail account. Would be nice if GVoice on WebOS would let me choose the contacts account.
  14.    #154  
    That would be pretty difficult to do. About the best that we could do would be have another button that will bring up the window with the webOS contacts list, and then you could choose who to use from there, and if your contacts account is in the webOS accounts, then it would work. I hadn't done that, because frankly, the webOS contacts UI is terrible. But I think I am going to add it, I do see some additional use for it beyond the Google Voice contacts.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678