Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    So there is not a way to make calls without either Skype or a phone of some sort connected to the Touchpad? Since this capability exists on a PC logged in to Google voice, it this a limitation of webOS? Or does Google determine that it is communicating with a non PC/Mac and itself prevent the call?
  2.    #22  
    This only exists on a PC logged into Google Voice, if you are also connected to Google Talk and have voice support (either via the Google Talk desktop app, or the Google Talk voice plugin for chrome/firefox/ie). If someone were to write something for webOS to support GTalk voice, then it would be fantastic.

Unfortunately, it's just not an area that I know anything about, I'm more of a computer-computer communications and game ai programmer.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  3.    #23  
    Little update: apparently since I tried to get a change in the description to go through last week, I have to wait for that to be rejected or accepted before I can submit the updated app. Hopefully tomorrow when everyone's open for business, right?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    OK...just bought the GVoice app in hopes to support continued development as well as Eric's cause...thanks.
    How are you handling the web authentication for those have have 2 factor authentication turned on for their accounts?
  6.    #26  
    Much appreciated, Scott!!

I have some good news, and some great news. The good news, is that the first update should be coming up sometime this week, as long as there are no problems in the approval pipe.

The great/fantastic news, is that I have figured out a way to get a "Listen" button on your voicemails, that works. The downside, is that it uses Flash to play, so I don't have a whole lot of control over it or status information. But, so long as you haven't gone and wired your browser to not auto-start Flashplayer, then for the second update, you'll be able to listen to your voicemails straight from the touchpad.

schro: 2 factor authentication? not familiar?

* edit: spent a bit looking it up. At the moment, the "application specific passwords" looks like it should work for the application part of the login. The web-view login should work as normal, I'd expect. If I can locate some docs on supporting it directly, I'll see what I can do there too.
    Last edited by eblade; 09/12/2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Read through this thread and am slightly confused.

I will be in an area in two weeks that will have wifi but no phone service. Can I use this app?
    I remember trying to use gvoice from my laptop in this area a year or so ago, it worked but the person barely heard me and I ended up having to find the one spot on the property that (sometimes) carries a cell phone signal and dial them from my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

I will be in an area in two weeks that will have wifi but no phone service. Can I use this app?
    No, there will never be a Google Voice plugin for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    No, there will never be a Google Voice plugin for webOS.
    You state this with such certainity, how?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    You state this with such certainity, how?
    At the height of webOS's popularity Google had no plans to do such a project and in fact stopped updating the Maps app, which is why webOS 3.x had to switch to Bing.

Any Google Voice Plugin would need the assistance of Google and API's for it to work.

It's time to starting dealing with the harsh reality that if you want support for such things then you will have to choose an iOS or Android device, which are supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

I remember trying to use gvoice from my laptop in this area a year or so ago, it worked but the person barely heard me and I ended up having to find the one spot on the property that (sometimes) carries a cell phone signal and dial them from my Pre.
    I was in the same situation last week. If you don't need to get calls, at least you can place them with Skype. I had people email me if they wanted to talk to me, then I called them (of course, you need a paid account but it didn't cost much). The sound quality is far from excellent, but worked.
  12.    #32  
    at this point, you can only directly receive calls fro your touchpad if you have either a skypein number associated to your Skype account, or a Bluetooth phone paired to your touchpad. Google voice does not directly support receiving calls. Google talk does have the ability to receive calls from google voice, but this app does not support that at this time. I don't rule that out, but it would be a comparatively difficult undertaking.

if your intent is to receive phone calls on your device, I can't particularly recommend my app since it won't do that. I have been using it as my sole sms messenger for weeks now, though, and I personally much prefer this interface to the web interface. I've also discovered very recently some brand new google features that may be very interesting to take advantage of for offline usage.

I'd love to have the complete WiFi telephone,but that is not a direct feature of google voice and would require merging features of two very distinctly different services to achieve that.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  13.    #33  
    all that said, I've looked into the apis for quite a while and it seems that microphone access is only allowed for palm apps. That does make it rather difficult.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  14.    #34  
    Apparently the "what's new in this update" field that HP supplies doesn't show up in updates. 0.9.1 is on the app catalog, if you've got the app, make sure you update

Auto-Login, Auto-Hide of browser view, adjusted layouts, completely new Overview page, Notifications are for all conversations, not per-conversation, Do-Not-Disturb functions, fix scrolling bug, web/email addresses and telephone numbers now hyperlink, notifications much more reliable, added Call Voicemail shortcut, notification clicks bring app forward, more friendly to keyboard input, fix "Phones Not Configured" erroneously coming up for Call window, testing Pre3 support. . . . there may be a couple of things i missed in that list.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    So Eric, do I need manually load the app and the manually reload to get my text messages?
    Was looking for notifications like email, Skype,etc.
    Contacts don't scroll yet...will look forward to future updates keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    So I updated to version 0.9.1 this morning and it is a good improvement over 0.9.0 (e.g. better layout in portrait mode).

However, there're still a few issues for me:
    1. Every time I start the app the login window to Google Voice appears briefly (a second or so). It then automatically disappears though. Is this a limitation of webOS?
    2. When I press Contacts (left pane at the bottom) a window appears but it only shows my own contact details (phone numbers). No other contacts of my Gmail account is listed. Is this normal?
    3. When I want to send a new SMS the To field doesn't recognize contact names. I have to enter the real phone number - which of course I don't remember for all my contacts.

I also do have a few suggestions for future updates:
    - Add Just Type support (it would be great to start sending an SMS via Just Type)
    - Use a larger icon. The current one looks really small in the launcher
    - Add a custom setting to use a different theme (I'm not a big fan of the various blues)
    - Add a custom setting to change font type and size (see Paper Mache for instance which does a really nice job).'
    - Add an About section in the drop down menu (with help info, contact details and revision number)

All in all this is already quite useful and hopefully will get even better soon! Thanks for making this app!
  17.    #37  
    ScottLive5,
    If you leave it running it should auto update at 5 minutes. I've got a selectable update time in the pipeline right now.

Contacts don't scroll? I'm not seeing this problem. If I bring up the contacts pop-up, then I can drag up/down to scroll through the list. It looks like about 6 contacts with single numbers fit in the window -- do you have more than 6 contacts in your Google Voice contacts list? This is different from the main Google Contacts list, I believe it's people that you've added specifically from the Google Voice contacts page rather than from Google in general.

STBXXL,
    I'll try to get rid of that login window at first, and only have it come up if your login isn't valid. It does need to display the browser window briefly, otherwise it can't use the browser later to send the Mark Message Read and (future update) Listen to Voicemail commands.

The Contacts window brings up the list of contacts that I believe are specifically added as Google Voice contacts .. I have a few dozen on my list, and it seems to work fine. (to both STBXXL and ScottLive5) If either of you go to the Google Voice website on your PC, and hit "View Source" and search for: 'contacts' (with the ' '), you can see the information that GVoice is using. If the information that I'm displaying does not match up with the information that it shows there, if you want to PM me that whole section of code (feel free to edit the names/phone numbers/etc), I'll take a look at it and see what I'm missing.

Auto-fill is definitely something I'd like to add, I don't know if I'll get to it this week. I've been using the Contacts window for that (clicking on a contact will bring up a "Call" and "Send SMS" choice), but apparently the contacts window isn't working as other people expect. I'd also like to integrate it to the Touchpad contacts directory as well, but haven't had time to research that one yet.

Just Type is interesting, I haven't been using webOS for very long, so I'm not super familiar with it. What do you envision happening with Just Type specifically?

I thought the icon was a problem just on my device. It shows up fine on my gf's touchpad, as well as in Just Type, but I'll have a look at it.

I tried to match the theme to Google's color theme, but the gamma on mobile devices and the gradients from the webOS stylings made it a little but different than how it looks when I look at it on my PC Will keep that in mind, though. Also, will take a look at Paper Mache.

Thanks for the input!
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If either of you go to the Google Voice website on your PC, and hit "View Source" and search for: 'contacts' (with the ' '), you can see the information that GVoice is using. If the information that I'm displaying does not match up with the information that it shows there, if you want to PM me that whole section of code (feel free to edit the names/phone numbers/etc), I'll take a look at it and see what I'm missing.
    Well I just did that and I can see all contacts under 'contacts' that are present in my Gmail contacts. However, GVoice is only displaying the first one. But I would rather not send you this entire section of code as it contains hundreds of contacts with their details (i.e. too much work to change names, email IDs and various phone numbers).
    Last edited by STBXXL; 09/14/2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Auto-fill is definitely something I'd like to add, I don't know if I'll get to it this week. I've been using the Contacts window for that (clicking on a contact will bring up a "Call" and "Send SMS" choice), but apparently the contacts window isn't working as other people expect. I'd also like to integrate it to the Touchpad contacts directory as well, but haven't had time to research that one yet.
    This would be very useful to have.

Just Type is interesting, I haven't been using webOS for very long, so I'm not super familiar with it. What do you envision happening with Just Type specifically?
    I would like to just type a name and then be able to either send a text message or make a call (using Skype or a Bt connected phone) to that person via GVoice.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I thought the icon was a problem just on my device. It shows up fine on my gf's touchpad, as well as in Just Type, but I'll have a look at it.
    This is how the GVoice icon appears in the launcher on my TP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast