1.    #1  
    I think it would be awesome to have a VLC streamer. I know that when my store had the Xoom I could watch my computer videos anywhere, and also control the video on my TV if I chose the remote option.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    yes, one thing all the other players lack is subtitle support. maybe not such a big deal unless you watch anime like me :P

anyway, i found what i guess would be the 'official' vlc request topic: The VideoLAN Forums • View topic - VLC on HP TouchPad

which.. honestly does not seem to bode well. looks like the main developer there already shot the idea down. but maybe some others can throw their support in and who knows, maybe change their mind.

but since that avenue looks like a dead end, i think its possible for anyone (with knowledge) to compile vlc since its open source.

so with that being said, i located the developer wiki Developers Corner - VideoLAN Wiki which may have some useful information
    The problem is not compiling VLC for webOS, that's easy (I have compiled FFmpeg many times for webOS). The problem is getting a gui set up, getting the graphics and sound hooked up to webOS's API, and getting the hardware acceleration working. Those things all have to be customized to the OS, and would take far more time than is worth it considering we will have an Android port (with better hardware acceleration) within the month. If you want sound streaming, the next version of AudiophileHDPro supports streaming all the same sound formats as are supported by VLC. If you want better video support, you will just have to wait.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    you mean an android port of vlc or are talking about the android operating system?
    I am talking about CyanogenMod. I thought the Android port of VLC was out already, but maybe not now that I just checked. Even if its not, there are still many other video streaming apps available on Android.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    oh i dont doubt that theres more options, but switching to android would be a last resort kind of thing. i might end up doing it since kalemsoft player only seems 'ok'..and there doesnt seem to be anything else on the horizon, like vlc. but in the meantime it would be nice if there was native vlc for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    If you want sound streaming, the next version of AudiophileHDPro supports streaming all the same sound formats as are supported by VLC.
    Will it be able to stream .ogg from internet sites?
    Gergev:

Yeah, been listening to a bunch of stuff on Archive.org with it. And there is some unofficial tools that let you read a playlist from your public DropBox folder.

However, be forewarned that I only have it implemented through a text input control, so you will have to paste or manually type in the URL, and it is easy to make errors with that. (Don't want you buying it expecting some great interface with the web, its a step up from the command line, but not a major one).

EDIT: And just so no one thinks I am going closed source, the plan is to bring streaming to the free version of the app eventually, probably in about two months, but there are some other issues I need to take care of first.
    Last edited by nyuepik; 09/22/2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    oh i dont doubt that theres more options, but switching to android would be a last resort kind of thing. i might end up doing it since kalemsoft player only seems 'ok'..and there doesnt seem to be anything else on the horizon, like vlc. but in the meantime it would be nice if there was native vlc for webOS.
    Audiophile already has everything in place in terms of library support on the back end (it runs FFmpeg's libraries, same as VLC), I just never felt like implementing an actual rendering engine. I had approached another freeware developer to try and get a rendering engine in place, but that has stalled. Basically, it would take someone who could connect FFmpeg's rendering engine to an openGL shader implementation. I have been wanting to learn openGL es 2.0 for a while now, so I may eventually get around to it, but that won't be for a couple months at least, and Android will be out by then.

If you know a graphics programmer who has lots of spare time, we could probably get a buggy equivalent to VLC up in about two weeks, but given how little activity I am seeing on the developer forums, plus the steep decline in app sales and dls that I am seeing, I am not very confident anyone would be willing to take such a task on at this point.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i wont disagree with you there, since you are correct in that. but would be something nice to have for webOS. kalemsoft is basically the only alternative but they dont support subtitles. perhaps in the future they might. but probably by then android will be out
    I actually don't mind Kalemsoft but I really don't understand why their software doesn't allow you to stream from your current server set up. I hate the idea of installing more software on my HTPC when really it shouldn't be needed.

This is one of the big areas that the TP is lacking and a potential developer could make a decent return from what I can tell there is demand out there.