Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    At least you were given the opportunity to participate in these offers (even if you couldn't due to other problems) - us Europeans (and other nations) don't even get a look in.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Are people seriously complaining about not getting something for free when it usually costs money? Typical American sense of entitlement.

The only people that are being cheated are non-US TP owners who are not getting access to these promotions. I hope HP offers them some similar giveaways soon.
    The Official HP Palm Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    an email at 5:30pm? whY a f'n joke.
    Why not? previously it's come when i haven't been around my TouchPad to take advantage of the promo. At least this time I was home...and chances are most people not in the Pacific Time Zone were too when it came through. As it was, the Catalog was slammed and I was lucky to get the two I did get.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Are people seriously complaining about not getting something for free when it usually costs money? Typical American sense of entitlement.

The only people that are being cheated are non-US TP owners who are not getting access to these promotions. I hope HP offers them some similar giveaways soon.
    How is wanting to get something that is advertised as being free a "sense of entitlement." They said it was free so it should be free until the date they specified, simple as that. If you had got the email, or not as many of us didn't and learned about these "free" apps only to find they are no longer free you would feel somewhat cheated to.

There is more to other countries not giving the apps than you realize. Some of the apps aren't even available in other countries due to various laws, legal hurdles, etc. That is something you really need to bring up to HP as none of us on the forums have anything to do with that and would love for you to get the same apps we do.

Edit: I know see that your location says NYC, is that not considered part of the US by HP?
    missed it all out

code expired
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    I can't wait for people like you to tire of your toy move on

All of you bought it hoping for android and all indications is it will suck

At least sometime soon I will not have to read

"I don't hate webOS but I can't wait to get rid of failed os and get Android."

You are so uninformed
    webOS is not a fail

this is not a Android site.
    Thanks for the attack, jerk. Since we're on the attack - reading comprehension, try it. What you quote me saying is not what I said. To characterize my comments that way is akin to me saying you said, and I quote "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, go away!"

Nice and adult, huh.

HP's handling the TouchPad is terrible. There is no denying it. I complimented WebOS. All HP has done for your little self-important "community" is destroy it. All they've done for their bottom line in the past year is commit corporate suicide, killing great products, making nonsense decisions like announcing that they're producing a line of PCs that no one wants, and simultaneously getting out of the PC business altogether.

HP is not WebOS. They are WebOS' murderer. They most assuredly are the enemy of this community and should be vilified at every opportunity until they somehow make amends - preferably by going away, or giving those Palm devs a new home.

I'm a developer that likes WebOS, but there's no way I'd participate in the HP store. It's a continual train wreck. At least PreWare functions.

And yup, I'll dual boot Android as soon as is feasible. If that upsets you, GOOD. Jerk.

What kind of "community" goes after new members anyway? Sorry I'm not rich, I'll see if I can qualify to be a social elitist BY PURCHASING CONSUMER GOODS.

2 seconds of logic solves the issue btw - issue unique codes. Every other e-tailer on the planet does this. Buy a server or two.
    Last edited by larsoncc; 09/09/2011 at 12:51 PM.
    4DegreesLower likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    How is wanting to get something that is advertised as being free a "sense of entitlement." They said it was free so it should be free until the date they specified, simple as that. If you had got the email, or not as many of us didn't and learned about these "free" apps only to find they are no longer free you would feel somewhat cheated to.

There is more to other countries not giving the apps than you realize. Some of the apps aren't even available in other countries due to various laws, legal hurdles, etc. That is something you really need to bring up to HP as none of us on the forums have anything to do with that and would love for you to get the same apps we do.

Edit: I know see that your location says NYC, is that not considered part of the US by HP?
    I feel frustrated when I miss out on these as well. There is an expiration date given but as with the previous offers, the email stated "Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last". They're promotional in nature intended to generate excitement and spur sales, not give away the store. I want them to but don't feel entitled to them. When I get them I feel lucky, and disappointed of course as everyone else when I miss out.
    Quote Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post
    2 seconds of logic solves the issue btw - issue unique codes. Every other e-tailer on the planet does this. Buy a server or two.
    But HP doesn't want to give a free copy to every man, woman, beast and child who owns a Touchpad. If they did, they'd just remove the download limit. It's not as though I can personally horde copies of Britannica: Solar System under my bed after the first one.

But they want to give away a limited number of copies, so the only way your plan would work would be to randomly decide which people get an e-mailed code and listen to the rest wail about how unfair it is that they never got a code. I don't see any benefit to this and at least the current way gives everyone a theoretical chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I feel frustrated when I miss out on these as well. There is an expiration date given but as with the previous offers, the email stated "Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last". They're promotional in nature intended to generate excitement and spur sales, not give away the store. I want them to but don't feel entitled to them. When I get them I feel lucky, and disappointed of course as everyone else when I miss out.
    I didn't see that part, I never got the email. I just saw someone mentioned a date and thought that was the only limit. Oh well, maybe next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
    Man, I'm even a HP employee and I don't get these emails.........
    I am registered for the newsletter and I haven't received anything from HP other than an e-mail acknowledging that I am registered.
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    I am registered for the newsletter and I haven't received anything from HP other than an e-mail acknowledging that I am registered.
    Same here, and I tried to sign up again with the link someone posted above and said I'm already signed up and asked me to sign in. I tried to sign in with the same email address I tried to register with and it said no account found! WTH
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post

Yeah I'm from NYC and am eligible to download the free apps but I haven't. I didn' get an email btw. I just notice a ridiculous sense of entitlement in this country that is sickening, not necessarily on these forums just in general.

What people have to understand is that the Internet is a blessing and a curse. Promotions are a first come, first serve thing. HP issues limited quantities because they have to pay out the developer 70% of the price of the app when it's downloaded. I agree that there is no point in putting an expiration date but maybe they are legally obligated too since it's a promotion; no one ever considers that and instead get mad because others have beat them to the punch.

Nevertheless, it's a giveaway. You are being offered something for free for nothing in exchange except for expediency; that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. No one is being swindled so I'm not sure where the indignation many have displayed is coming from.

I've been able to download a couple of the giveaway apps HP has offered so far but I don't gripe about the ones I missed out on. If the app seems good I just buy it because the developer will get their money either way.
    I am, therefore I think
    Jophiel and TheSpike like this.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I like how this is done in apple's app store better. They just make the apps free for a day or limited amount of time and whoever wants it gets to download it within that period.
    If I am being emailed a promo by HP, then the least they can do is issue me a unique promo code.
    This is as bad as the stampede for the TPs themselves.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    how was the stampede for touchpads bad? We've grown this community a **** load with dozens of new devs!
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    larsoncc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    how was the stampede for touchpads bad? We've grown this community a **** load with dozens of new devs!
    Well, I meant from the aspect of standing in lines, only to be disappointed.
    The lucky ones, first in the stampede, were, well, lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    But HP doesn't want to give a free copy to every man, woman, beast and child who owns a Touchpad. If they did, they'd just remove the download limit. It's not as though I can personally horde copies of Britannica: Solar System under my bed after the first one.

But they want to give away a limited number of copies, so the only way your plan would work would be to randomly decide which people get an e-mailed code and listen to the rest wail about how unfair it is that they never got a code. I don't see any benefit to this and at least the current way gives everyone a theoretical chance.
    I get it, sure. I'm just saying that these are not huge marketing puzzles that no one has ever solved before in the history of man. Everyone does promotions like this - Apple, Amazon, Microsoft. We're not talking about a mom-n-pop shop here, we're talking HEWLETT PACKARD, they made $126Billion last year.

IMO, There are ways to make a promotion without inciting a stampede.

1. Run a sign up sheet with the code on the other side. That way you crash a web server, not your ENTIRE ecommerce infrastructure.

2. Use the same method they did, but state how many activations the code can have.

3. Use the individual codes like I stated, tied to a master count of redemptions - tell people there are only X available, and not to share the codes because they're individualized.

4. Offer a different style of promotion, like X% off, BOGO, whatever.

5. Run more than 1 poor, abused server in your "server farm."

6. Push the software to people, or their download history (like Nintendo's recent promotion)

7. e-mail rebate after purchase.

I'm not really trying to solve their problems here, I can just visualize so many different ways to make this promotion go better than it did, you know? Every promotion they run from here on in is going to be like "Black Friday" to them - there are literally at least 10X more users than they had just two weeks ago.

And I really don't think it's fair to their loyal Developers to basically close the shop with a stunt like this - this is how they make their money!
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    If I am being emailed a promo by HP, then the least they can do is issue me a unique promo code.
    This is as bad as the stampede for the TPs themselves.
    Technically the least they can do is give nothing away. There might have been better ways to do all this but seems like an academic exercise. Maybe it's just cause I did manage to get a touchpad and did manage to get some of the promos offered so far so am relatively happy. If I'd missed out all around then might be much more opinionated so maybe a hypocrite hah.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    Well, I meant from the aspect of standing in lines, only to be disappointed.
    The lucky ones, first in the stampede, were, well, lucky!
    History has been hard on the Irish, but we get our moments
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    I like how this is done in apple's app store better.
    What they should do is stop offering promo apps since everyone keeps huffing about not getting a free $2 app as though it was a crime against humanity. No one was grousing about it an hour before the email went out. Cut their losses with the promotion.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    What they should do is stop offering promo apps since everyone keeps huffing about not getting a free $2 app as though it was a crime against humanity. No one was grousing about it an hour before the email went out. Cut their losses with the promotion.
    Angry people don't need a reason to be themselves, the apps are lures. If one in 50 people gets a free app then within a week fifteen more people will buy it after having seen it on the original persons TP. Market seeding is smart, effective, and it gives angry adult-children something to be angry at other than loved ones
    Jophiel likes this.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast