Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By texasflood
  • 1 Post By situbusitgooddog
  1.    #1  
    Silly question - but where is the clock/theme that is actually displayed in the Exhibition icon??? I'd like a nice big plain digital clock.
  2. #2  
    Start exhibition mode and scroll sideways. There are two other clocks, one is digital.
    HP Touchpad 64GB White
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp8 View Post
    Start exhibition mode and scroll sideways. There are two other clocks, one is digital.
    There are two analog and one flip, I don't see a digital.
  4. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #4  
    Flip = digital.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Flip = digital.
    The only people who call a flip clock a digital clock is someone old enough to remember when that style was called a digital clock or too young to know the difference!

    The "digital" clock I'm referring to is the blue lit one that is in the icon of Exhibition and also the "Time" icon in the preferences itself. I guess that version/theme never made it...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    The only people who call a flip clock a digital clock is someone old enough to remember when that style was called a digital clock or too young to know the difference!

    The "digital" clock I'm referring to is the blue lit one that is in the icon of Exhibition and also the "Time" icon in the preferences itself. I guess that version/theme never made it...
    Are some people too young to know what digits are, as in, you know, DIGITal?

    Per Wikipedia, a digital clock is a type of clock that displays the time digitally, i.e. in cyphers, as opposed to an analog clock, where the time is displayed by hands. Digital clocks are often associated with electronic drives, but the "digital" description refers only to the display, not to the drive mechanism. (Both analog and digital clocks can be driven either mechanically or electronically)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Are some people too young to know what digits are, as in, you know, DIGITal?

    Per Wikipedia, a digital clock is a type of clock that displays the time digitally, i.e. in cyphers, as opposed to an analog clock, where the time is displayed by hands. Digital clocks are often associated with electronic drives, but the "digital" description refers only to the display, not to the drive mechanism. (Both analog and digital clocks can be driven either mechanically or electronically)
    Yes, a flip clock is a analog clock that displays digits. I guess calling a flip clock a digital clock is technically correct. To me it is like calling an automatic transmission car a manual transmission since you still have to shift it into D, P, R etc... which is also technically correct.

    Anyway - I got my answer in that the "digital" clock that I was referring to isn't actually there. As I stated in the beginning I was looking for a nice big plain digital clock, which I do not consider a flip clock to be. Thought I was missing something.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Yes, a flip clock is a analog clock that displays digits. I guess calling a flip clock a digital clock is technically correct. To me it is like calling an automatic transmission car a manual transmission since you still have to shift it into D, P, R etc... which is also technically correct.

    Anyway - I got my answer in that the "digital" clock that I was referring to isn't actually there. As I stated in the beginning I was looking for a nice big plain digital clock, which I do not consider a flip clock to be. Thought I was missing something.
    Only in that they are both transitions but not a specific type, so that example would be more like "clock" without a specific type. It's more like lumping conventional automatics, manumatics, the various semi-automatics, and the various continuous variable transmissions all under the umbrella term "automatic transmissions". OK, I know, I'll stop.

    I don't actually see a simple classic digital clock like you describe at least not for free. For money there is timepiece but don't see that it works in exhibition mode. There is also simpleclock which does, probably some others but that's all I see at a glance Or LCARS-Clock or HovpoH HD if you're a Star Trek fan,
    jabramson likes this.
  9. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    The only people who call a flip clock a digital clock is someone old enough to remember when that style was called a digital clock or too young to know the difference!
    HP specifically labels the flip as 'digital' as opposed to the two analog clocks also offered.

    Digital = discreet number = flip.

    Some folks are too young and don't know what digital means, they think it has only to do with electrons.
  10. #10  
    I'd really like to be able to start 'Agenda' in a full month view instead of daily, shame it's not an option.
    Pitxitxita likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    HP specifically labels the flip as 'digital' as opposed to the two analog clocks also offered.

    Digital = discreet number = flip.

    Some folks are too young and don't know what digital means, they think it has only to do with electrons.
    I guess we have different representations of what a "digital clock" vs. "digital display" means or should mean. A real flip clock manually/mechanically changes the numbers/digits rather than digitially. By your/that definition if I hand write numbers/digits on paper and manually changed them it would be a digital clock.

    Again either way the original question was where is the digital clock that is in both the Exhibition icon and the Time setting in Exhibition. I guess I'm the only one that finds it odd that they use an icon representation of a clock theme that doesn't exist.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    I guess we have different representations of what a "digital clock" vs. "digital display" means or should mean. A real flip clock manually/mechanically changes the numbers/digits rather than digitially. By your/that definition if I hand write numbers/digits on paper and manually changed them it would be a digital clock.
    Not... Going... To.. Comment... Must... Resist...

    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Again either way the original question was where is the digital clock that is in both the Exhibition icon and the Time setting in Exhibition. I guess I'm the only one that finds it odd that they use an icon representation of a clock theme that doesn't exist.
    I noticed that but think it's fairly common for some "artistic license" to be used for icons. In this case I, like you, would love to see an actual clock that looked like that but haven't seen it yet although no reason why it couldn't be done. For some reason folks seem to like to represent mechanical clocks on the touchpad although it's a digital device.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    noticed that but think it's fairly common for some "artistic license" to be used for icons.
    so I should stop looking for my new pet penguin now? :-)

Posting Permissions