webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > KeePassW
KeePassW
Like Tree4Likes

Old 09/06/2011, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey all, I'm very happy to see a KeePass program on the touchpad, as I use it at home. It installed fine and even imported the XML I exported from my desktop correctly.

However, the HP App Catalog shows it as not installed every time I load it. I installed it twelve hours ago, ran it to test, shut it down. Then I opened app catalog and hey, it's still "free" rather than "launch". I installed it again just to see, it ran fine still with the imported information. I closed it and app catalog, opened app catalog and hey, still "free" instead of "launch".

Apparently HP App Catalog refuses to acknowledge it has been installed.
tannim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2011, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine shows it as not installed also. How do you get it to read your XML file? I exported it from KeePass 2.16, moved it to the TP, but the program couldn't find it.
Rossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2011, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

On second thought, although it would be nice to have my KeePass data on a TouchPad, I'll wait for a program that can actually read the password-encrytped file from KeepPass itself rather than having you export an unencrypted file from KeePass on your PC, then copying it to your TP. That XML file can easily be read by every computer ever constructed, leaving every Title, Username, Password, URL, and Note to be read by anybody who can decipher, er, um, English!
Old 09/07/2011, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is a very true concern. I only put it on because my touchpad is not leaving my house. If it were, I would not be having that program on.

A native version of KeePass with support for the encrypted archive would be far preferable. Along with any number of other programs lacking on the touchpad :}
tannim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2011, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

Hi. I am the "developer" of KeePassW. As clearly stated in the description of the app, KeePassW is a small research project and the code is freely available (MIT licence) at my git repository https://dev2day.de/git

As long as you delete the xml export directly after the KeePassW import your data is safe. The passwords are stored via the webos key manager. Therefore, no third party app should be able access your private data.

I am currently rewriting the app to use the original UIDs and to support groups. Thus, a reimport into KeePass 2.x is also on the agenda.

At the moment I do not plan to support the native .kdbx or .kdb files. Some months ago I examined the code of KeePassX and the dependence on Qt was dramatic.

Feel free to leave comments and feature requests.

greetings,
Jan

Last edited by jft; 09/08/2011 at 05:36 PM.
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: GoBears
Old 09/09/2011, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

@Rossley: did you change the file extension of the export from .xml to something else? The file picker is configured to only show .xml files.

Atm I do not know the cause for the app catalog problems. I will investigate
Old 09/09/2011, 03:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
Hi. I am the "developer" of KeePassW. As clearly stated in the description of the app, KeePassW is a small research project and the code is freely available (MIT licence) at my git repository https://dev2day.de/git

As long as you delete the xml export directly after the KeePassW import your data is safe. The passwords are stored via the webos key manager. Therefore, no third party app should be able access your private data.

I am currently rewriting the app to use the original UIDs and to support groups. Thus, a reimport into KeePass 2.x is also on the agenda.

At the moment I do not plan to support the native .kdbx or .kdb files. Some months ago I examined the code of KeePassX and the dependence on Qt was dramatic.

Feel free to leave comments and feature requests.

greetings,
Jan
Does that mean the entries are encrypted after importing?
features: first and foremost password protect the app. Ability to add link to website for entries. Groups (coming?). Edit seems to only work once per entry. I've been using keepass on my desktop for quite some time and would really like to see a similar for touchpad. Thanks for the hard work!
Tendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

JFT:

Sent you a pm.
nyuepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2011, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

The webos key manager [1] I use atm claims to savely store the data. Of cource, everybody who has access to your device can open the app and retrieve the passwords.

I plan to create a complete rewrite over the weekend which will password protect the app, support groups and provide a new UI. The encryption part is not really tricky - webos provides the necessary encryption algorithms

The new package will be published in this thread and later in the app catalog.

[1] https://developer.palm.com/content/a...y-manager.html
Liked by rs4ftw likes this.
Thanked by gergev, rs4ftw
Old 09/09/2011, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

The problem with not supporting the native file... every time I add something to KeePass on my computer, I'll have to redo the export-import thing, no?

I keep my kdb file in dropbox, using KeePassX on my linux systems, and have a copy of KeePass portable in my Dropbox so I can access it from my windows box as well.
Old 09/09/2011, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the hard work on this, it sounds like you're planning to make it what I'll consider a killer app.
Does the .xml file need to be in a particular place? It's called "pw.xml", and I've put it in every directory I could find, and when I choose Import XML, the Select A File screen doesn't see it anywhere, and my document list is empty.
Old 09/10/2011, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

@Rossley: I tested with a file named "pw.xml" located in the usb root directory (/media/internal/) and it is shown in the file picker popup ("documents" --> "pw.xml"). I really do not know what could cause the described problem on your touchpad.

@mcnee: I will definitely look into reading the native kdbx files, but probably not the old KeePassX kdb files. The KeePassX developer is obviously also moving to the new file format and restructuring KeePassX (at least according to his website). I myself switched successfully from KeePassX to KeePass 2.x (with mono) some weeks ago.
Old 09/10/2011, 01:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow, this is spooky. I ran the app today, and it couldn't find any XML's again. I came to the forum to see your reply, then tried it again a few minutes later, and it found all 5 versions I put in different directories. Anyway, I'm cool now, thanks for looking into it!
Old 09/11/2011, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post

Did you check the qt port for webos? WebOS Internals did that, not sure how the status is.
chris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2011, 06:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

Hi there,

I just completed the work on the new version of KeePassW. I am quite sure it will be much more useful now I will submit the new version to the app catalog after some thorough testing. Please add comments and post bugs.

Download: http://dev2day.de/~jft/de.dev2day.ke..._0.2.1_all.ipk

Caution: Your KeePassW 0.1.x database will be wiped completely. BUT please use the "clear data" option of KeePassW 0.1.x to also delete the keys stored in the keymanager before you install KeePassW 0.2.x.

Changelog (Version 0.2.1)

Complete AES Encryption

KeePassW stores all data fields encrypted in the db8 database. The private password has to be entered to unlock your keys. "Normal" fields like key name, description and url are instantly decrypted. Nevertheless, your usernames and passwords only get decrypted when copied to the clipboard. KeePassW does not save the private password or its hash. However, while the app is running the private password is stored in the webos keymanger to make use of the cryptographic algorithms. Closing the app removes the private password from the keymanager.

The database decryption process verifies the entered password. If KeePassW is able to successfully decrypt its database the entered password is valid. Therefore, to set the private password just create at least one Group/Key. Thus, using the "Clear Data" option of KeePassW enables you to set a new one.

Groups

KeePassW also Imports the groups of your KeePass 2.x export.

URLs

Clicking the url field opens the website in the browser.

No Key/Group Editing at the moment.

GUI improvements, ...

@chris42: Yes, I am aware of the Qt port. But a Qt independent version would be fine I will take a closer look at it.

Last edited by jft; 09/15/2011 at 06:13 AM.
Thanked By: rs4ftw
Old 09/15/2011, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for your work on this. I use Keepass daily on my PC. Excellent app.
gergev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2011, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
jft
Homebrew Developer

I uploaded a new version. Now the old unencrypted 0.1.0 keys are removed completely by KeePassW 0.2.2. Just install this version and everything is fine

Download: http://dev2day.de/~jft/de.dev2day.ke..._0.2.2_all.ipk
Thanked by rs4ftw, Tendo
Old 09/15/2011, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

The new version rocks! Thanks for the great leap forward.
I downloaded it, copied it to the TP with USB Drive, then ran it from Internalz Pro. Is there any other way to install it for people without PreWare?
Old 09/16/2011, 01:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

is it possible to do a port to webOS 2.1 (phone) and does it read KeePass 1.x files (.kdb) ?
Old 09/16/2011, 02:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

I second the question - will there be kdb-support (on Touchpad)? Would really like that as I dont want to export the database to unencrypted xml/csv-files.
dodnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0