Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that I have a TouchPad, I'm looking for the best and perhaps cheapest way to read things later on it. It seems like the two choices that people talk about are Instapaper and Read it Later. I'm just getting started, so I'm not locked into either service at this stage.

I was hoping the community here could help me out in picking the right service/app combination.

The biggest requirement is that it has to work well with the TouchPad. The webOS app must be optimized for the TouchPad. The reason why I'm getting a Read It Later is so that I can work offline as my TouchPad will likely be.

Here's a wishlist of things that I would like:

- Integration with the webOS browser. There should be an easy way (perhaps through a patch or something) where I can send a page to the service for reading offline.

- Integration with a Google Reader client. I'd like to be able to mark an article for reading offline.

- Some kind of note-taking ability. This is a little like Evernote - how you can capture a page and write yourself a note or two for later - possibly tag it for example.

I'll stop now and see what people are able to recommend.
    PaperMache is a really great app that is worse the 1$ instapaper subscription. You won't find an equivalent app for read it later, trust me as I have both doggy bag and readlist.

You'll get at least #1 of your wishlist through a patch, #2 in future release and I don't know for #3.

The overall app is greatly conceived with lot of options and great design. And most of all is a must for webos integration since lots of apps propose a "send to instaper" option.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've been using instapaper for about 2 weeks and I *love* it. I have the add-on for my browser so I can mark things to read later my touchpad. The instapaper client is very nice. The formatting is easy to read and allows folders to save articles. Well worth the $1/ month.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I got the Paper Mache and was thinking about going down that road. While I don't doubt that Instapaper is worth the dollar a month, I'm just wondering if it's that much better than what you get for free with Read It Later.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    For $3 you can answer that for yourself. My answer was yes. A small price to pay (no pun (intended) to know.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, I was hoping to gain some good discussion and get headed in the right direction, see what people's workflows are for reading offline.

I also thought that my wishlist might trigger a developer to integrate some of the ideas. I'll probably try both.
  7.    #7  
    It's too bad the patch for Add to Paper Mache seems broken or incompatible with other patches or software.

Here's the IPK install log...

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    100 11766 100 11766 0 0 38212 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 116k
    identify
    org.webosinternals.patches.browser-add-to-paper-mache
    install
    {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    { "ticket":1 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.browser-add-to-paper-mache.postinst 2>&1
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/BrowserContextMenu.jsjsjs.$rej$
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.browser-add-to-paper-mache from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.browser-add-to-paper-mache.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.
    I had exactly the same question. I even was slightly going for Read it Later, as I already used this on my Android phone. However, I couldn't find any patch for the browser to add a "Add to read it later" option, so I decided to try out the instapaper solution. Not unhappy until today...
    I just installed the Papermache patch on my TP and it installed fine. I was able to go into my browser and add any page to papermache.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    the browser widget in Glimpse includes a Read it Later option. I've been using Instapaper with Paper Mache with no problem. I tag a lot of articles from my regular browser as well as the Advanced Browser on the TouchPad, and make sure I sync Paper Mache while online before going offline.

I have the patch for Add to Paper Mache but I have no idea if Advanced Browser used that patch or as it built in...

Clarice
  11.    #11  
    Hmm, I'll make a thread in the patches forum, this isn't the right place to report errors.

Already there an answered it seems.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...tch-error.html
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 09/06/2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    the browser widget in Glimpse includes a Read it Later option. I've been using Instapaper with Paper Mache with no problem. I tag a lot of articles from my regular browser as well as the Advanced Browser on the TouchPad, and make sure I sync Paper Mache while online before going offline.

I have the patch for Add to Paper Mache but I have no idea if Advanced Browser used that patch or as it built in...

Clarice
    Does running ReadItLater inside Glimpse also require the monthly $1 fee that the other "read it later" apps seem to require? Not entirely cleasr as to what the monthly fee gets you or why its needed/
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I've only used Instapaper, not Read It Later, so I'm no help - but maybe someone else will be!
    Read it later does not require a subscription (as of now), so there's no USD $1 fee. However, the only good read it later client for the Touchpad that I could find was Doggy Bag, which again is a paid app. Additionally I wouldn't want to always use Glimpse (which itself is a paid app, if you haven't grabbed it with a promo code) for adding websites to read it later.

So in the end I decided to pay the USD $3 for a 3-month subscription to instapaper to give it a try and haven't regretted it yet.

EDIT: Just for clarification - here are the explanations for the subscription model of instapaper. I've taken it from the Instapaper website, I assume its in the best interest of instapaper to add this here:

What are the benefits?
    Right now? Almost nothing, except knowing that you are supporting the Instapaper serviceís operation and future feature development.

Subscribers are given the option to hide Instapaperís advertisements. This option appears in Account.

Some future features may be Subscriber-only, but please donít buy a Subscription solely because you expect these exclusive features to be mind-blowing. They might be, depending on how easily your mind is blown, but Iíd feel better if you bought the Subscription because you wanted to support Instapaper.

How much does it cost?
    It's $3 for 3 months, so itís effectively $1 per month.

Thatís less than a cup of coffee almost anywhere. If Instapaper is worth that to you, Iíd love to have your support as a Subscriber.

Can I cancel at any time?
    Yes. Iím not interested in trapping or tricking you.

Why is it billed 3 months at a time?
    PayPal takes a fixed fee plus a percentage from each transaction, so processing a bunch of $1 transactions is wasteful.
    Do I need to be a Subscriber to use Instapaper?
    No. Almost all of Instapaperís features will continue to be available to non-Subscribers.

Why sell Subscriptions?
    Some features are very complex and expensive to operate, so Iíve needed to either limit them or omit them entirely. With Subscriptions, Iíll be able to offer features that have previously been impractical, and Iíll build sustainable income to help ensure Instapaperís continued operation and future expansion.

Do you accept other forms of payment?
    Sorry, itís just PayPal for now.

Can I get a refund?
    Sure, as long as the payment was made within the last 14 days. Just use the email cancellation request option and write a brief note in the message that you'd like a refund.

Refunds are time-consuming to process, so please make sure you have read this page carefully and understand what youíre paying for.

Refunds may take up to 3 business days to be processed.

And finally, you can access Instapaper's API from 3rd party apps, as Paper Mache.
    Last edited by Alphajoe; 09/06/2011 at 10:17 AM.
    As the author of Paper Mache I can address some of these questions.

Yes, you can patch the webOS browser to "Add to Paper Mache", or use Advanced Browser. A patch is necessary as the browser doesnt support bookmarklets or similar extensions, short of emailing links to your @instapaper.com address.

Google Reader website and apps (Ex. nomnomnom) support "Save to Instapaper".

Paper Mache will not likely have a note-taking feature in the near term. Paper Mache intends to be something more for reading longer form text, rather than a more general clipping and note service like Evernote. But maybe one day. The next two main features are likely 'search' and a more integrated 'add articles' feature.

My workflow for reading offline is normally to "Save to Instapaper" on my PC, and then its automatically picked up and cached for offline reading on the TouchPad as Paper Mache automatically syncs periodically in the background. I read things in my Unread folder and then Archive them when done.

The 'Add to Paper Mache' patch will fail if you have already installed the 'Download Link' patch for the browser. This is because they both modify the 'tap-and-hold link' menu, and they attempt to change the same code. Once one is installed, that code has changed and the second patch fails. This is an issue inherent in the patching system.

The only clear ways to fix this are:
    - create a Tweaks file instead of a patch that integrates all these patches. @screwdestiny is apparently working on this
    - create a single patch that integrates both features and install that instead
    - remove the 'Add to Paper Mache' entry from the 'tap-and-hold link' context menu so they dont conflict. Its still likely other things adding to the 'share' menu later will conflict though.

And just to re-iterate - for those that are unhappy about the $1/month subscription fee - thats due to Instapaper, not myself / Paper Mache. I've released Paper Mache as a free app, I make nothing off of it. It is Marco at Instapaper thats making the $1/month for the new subscribers to the Instapaper service, none of that goes to me.

ryanwatkins.net
    @papermacheapp
    You know how the Instapaper app gives you a prompt to "return to position" or "stay at top" when you tap the top of the screen to return to the top of the page? Is there any chance you could add a similar feature to Paper Mache?

Other than the scrolling (which is a webOS thing), Paper Mache is my absolute favorite TouchPad app. It just nails all the principles of good mobile UI design that a lot of other TouchPad apps whiff on. It has disappearing scroll bars and quick zooms to the top and bottom of the document!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Ryan,

Thanks for chiming it. Your app is only of my very favorites. I use it much the way you do and enjoy reading the articles I save during a busy day in the evening when I have the time to read through them.

jim
    [QUOTE=nappy;3148325]You know how the Instapaper app gives you a prompt to "return to position" or "stay at top" when you tap the top of the screen to return to the top of the page? Is there any chance you could add a similar feature to Paper Mache?[QUOTE]

That would be a nice touch. I'll add it to the list of features to consider.

I didnt really use that feature myself so hadn't noticed it, but can see how it'd be useful to return to your position.
    --
    @ryanwatkins

Paper Mache / @papermacheapp
    http://www.ryanwatkins.net/software/papermache/
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

I've just published a very first version of a new client for ReadItLater.com! Maybe someone of you is interested in and want to have a look, here is the thread for that app (called "ReadOnTouch"): http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...om-client.html

Best regards,
    SvenZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    Now that I have a TouchPad, I'm looking for the best and perhaps cheapest way to read things later on it. It seems like the two choices that people talk about are Instapaper and Read it Later. I'm just getting started, so I'm not locked into either service at this stage.

I was hoping the community here could help me out in picking the right service/app combination.

The biggest requirement is that it has to work well with the TouchPad. The webOS app must be optimized for the TouchPad. The reason why I'm getting a Read It Later is so that I can work offline as my TouchPad will likely be.

Here's a wishlist of things that I would like:

- Integration with the webOS browser. There should be an easy way (perhaps through a patch or something) where I can send a page to the service for reading offline.

- Integration with a Google Reader client. I'd like to be able to mark an article for reading offline.

- Some kind of note-taking ability. This is a little like Evernote - how you can capture a page and write yourself a note or two for later - possibly tag it for example.

I'll stop now and see what people are able to recommend.
    Check this out:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3232630
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast