Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested to know what is the number of apps that the Touchpad needs in its app catalog to make everyone happy? I've noticed that most reviewers pan the Touchpad and webOS in general because of the number of apps the platform has. I've also noticed that Android has 1/10th of the apps that iOS has, yet Android is highly successful. Is it really a set number of apps that a platform needs to be viable or does the platform just need to have the app that you want/need?

    So, what is the number of apps the catalog needs that will make everyone (the reviewers) happy?

    or..

    What app does the catalog need to make you happy?
  2. mikesus's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #2  
    You can only have so many phart apps :-p

    Seriously, go after functionality for business users, and you have a winner. When ios gave me printing and ability to use Cisco VPN, I had a device that replaced my work computer.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesus View Post
    You can only have so many phart apps :-p

    Seriously, go after functionality for business users, and you have a winner. When ios gave me printing and ability to use Cisco VPN, I had a device that replaced my work computer.
    Agree... I would really like them to develop a Webex app... but I can sure understand why that one wasn't likely.
  4. #4  
    I am not so much interested in games but would like more productivity apps and evernote big for touchpad.
    Hapy and TheSpike like this.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm interested to know what is the number of apps that the Touchpad needs in its app catalog to make everyone happy? I've noticed that most reviewers pan the Touchpad and webOS in general because of the number of apps the platform has. I've also noticed that Android has 1/10th of the apps that iOS has, yet Android is highly successful. Is it really a set number of apps that a platform needs to be viable or does the platform just need to have the app that you want/need?

    So, what is the number of apps the catalog needs that will make everyone (the reviewers) happy?

    or..

    What app does the catalog need to make you happy?
    As of july, iOS has 500k, Android is estimated at 490k according to wikipedia There's a lot of junk in there though.

    I think it just matters if the market has the apps which I need, so obviously the more apps there are, the more apps there will be to fill everyone's needs.

    More apps means more choice. Why settle for the stock browser when there's 5 or 10 different options that all have their advantages. Yes, you probably only need a small set of core apps to make good use of your device, but you'll find new apps that do things you never thought you wanted to do.
  6. #6  
    I use the webex application on my nook (CM7) often and I'm pleased with it. I haven't tried the browser version on the touchpad yet.

    Part of the attraction of a large number of apps is being surprised by something new. You can find something you are interested in just about anytime you browse either the ios or android store.

    I'd like to see a working netflix viewer, and to see some sort of packaging for more flash games like Machinarium has. I'd also like to see the bugs shaked out of the existing apps - kindle reader white screens, weather apps crashing/radar map messed up.

    I don't mind the e-mail and calendar apps as they are - I'm not having any sync issues. The web browser is pretty robust but I'd like to have tabs.

    Peter
  7. #7  
    I'm not really that interested in games, but then sitting in a doctors office without WIFI and games makes my wait so much easier.

    I'm kinda at a loss for what I need. I love using my device and enjoy so much of what it already offers that my list is so small, but I'm sure I'm missing somehthing. A few would include, Remote Desktop (coming), more games (this is what sells and they are coming), and the primaries everyone complains about Netflix, HBO2Go, WordwithFriends (simply what is popular now), etc.

    Sorli...

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    What app does the catalog need to make you happy?
  8. Diviance's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I've also noticed that Android has 1/10th of the apps that iOS has, yet Android is highly successful.
    It is actually closer to 75-80%, not 10%. It hasn't been that low in a long time.
  9. #9  
    I'd like to see some of the Must have Apps that are on iPad on my TouchPad. Netflix, Flipboard, Pulse. It's not the Number of apps for me it's quality apps that you would expect to see on a Tablet. I sincerely hope the firesale will the attention of developers and maybe we'll see some of the apps, but I also asked Santa for a Pony, so we'll see.
  10. #10  
    I need about 20 good apps for WebOS. I don't care about all the shovelware stuff, just need certain apps.
  11.    #11  
    I need an xfdl form editor. I work with xfdl forms all day. I would like some RTS games.

    The numbers of apps never impressed me. Windows Mobile 6 had a ton of apps. Way more than iOS did when it launched and I ran away from WM6 with a quickness.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    I'd like to see some of the Must have Apps that are on iPad on my TouchPad. Netflix, Flipboard, Pulse. It's not the Number of apps for me it's quality apps that you would expect to see on a Tablet. I sincerely hope the firesale will the attention of developers and maybe we'll see some of the apps, but I also asked Santa for a Pony, so we'll see.
    The Pulse guys are p*ssing me off. There are over 130 request for a webOS app in their getsatisfaction forum in the last 3 weeks alone and they refuse to say whether or not they are going to support the platform.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The Pulse guys are p*ssing me off. There are over 130 request for a webOS app in their getsatisfaction forum in the last 3 weeks alone and they refuse to say whether or not they are going to support the platform.
    Shame shame....not a big surprise. I'm hoping for Palmdroid making big progress and just bypass asking for webOS native apps and just run Android on-top of webOS. Either way, yes Pulse would be great and a big thumbs up! Sorli...
  14. #14  
    I would rather have some good apps than a ton of crappy ones.
    Pulse, some sort of FTP app, Netflix, remote desktop, something like Tapatalk for forums, and a google music app would be awesome but it's easy enough accessing it through the browser.
  15. #15  
    I want more games, particularly the quick pick up games. I have a 7 year old that I currently enjoy playing many iOS freebie/$99 games with.

    I would LOVE to be able to use them on a Tablet(fat fingers) and this was the first tablet that was viable.

    Cut the Rope
    Burn the Rope
    Spy Mouse
    Angry Birds SeasonsHD(coming soon?)
    Bounce on
    Heads will roll
    MegaJump
    etc.

    I am not as interested in "full games", since I use my computers to play those.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    I would rather have some good apps than a ton of crappy ones.
    Pulse, some sort of FTP app, Netflix, remote desktop, something like Tapatalk for forums, and a google music app would be awesome but it's easy enough accessing it through the browser.
    Well as for Pulse, there's USA Today which has the "sliding tiles" UI like Pulse, but News Republic is my news app of choice. I believe there are FTP apps in Preware but I'm not 100%. Netflix is viewable through playon.tv and possibly Orb. Splash Desktop is almost ready and you can access the flash version of TeamViewer. As for Tapatalk, the app "Communities" is the TPad version of that app.


    ...Not as drastic as it seems.
    Sukiyaki and sorli like this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well as for Pulse, there's USA Today which has the "sliding tiles" UI like Pulse, but News Republic is my news app of choice. I believe there are FTP apps in Preware but I'm not 100%. Netflix is viewable through playon.tv and possibly Orb. Splash Desktop is almost ready and you can access the flash version of ReviEwer. As for Tapatalk, the app "Communities" is the TPad version of that app.


    ...Not as drastic as it seems.
    Thanks man. Helps me out a bit.
    cobrakon and sorli like this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    "number of apps vs. Apps that i "need""
    Regarding the title. For me it's not about what i need. It's about what i want. Like my dumbphone was all that i needed. A smartphone is merely a luxury. i don't need all the other stuff it offers. Like, music or a camera, etc. I can live without them. It's a convenience. I want that stuff. I mention that because it's often offered as a defense for lack of apps that people don't "need" this app or that app, thus a platform is fine not having this app, that app, or lots of apps or whatever. But I think need is only one aspect of the phone/tablet choice a buyer makes. What people want i think plays a huge role.

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm interested to know what is the number of apps that the Touchpad needs in its app catalog to make everyone happy?
    The next thing i'd say is it's not about a number. For me the app issue is always about choice. As a consumer I want choice. And the more apps you got the more choice i have. Because what i want is not what you want. You may want pandora and netflix. I use neither. But others may. Plus, i'd still like the choice to do it if i want to in the future. I may need an inventory tracking app. You may not. So to please the most people a platform needs a wide choice of apps. That may mean a large number but it doesn't mean there is some magic number or that a raw number is important. The reason people mention numbers is because it's a proxy for a platform offering more choice. Because theoretically more apps mean more choice.

    Regarding the part about "making everyone happy." If the goal is to make EVERYONE happy then you'll need every possible app that people want. By definition if one person lacks an app they want then that person won't be happy thus, "everyone" would not be happy. So the goal of everyone happy, i think is a bad starting place. I just think it's not the right question. So i wouldn't try to please everyone. I'd try to please MOST people or at least enough to make what you're selling, touchpads in this case, highly profitable and dominant.

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I've noticed that most reviewers pan the Touchpad and webOS in general because of the number of apps the platform has. I've also noticed that Android has 1/10th of the apps that iOS has, yet Android is highly successful. Is it really a set number of apps that a platform needs to be viable or does the platform just need to have the app that you want/need?
    To echo my comments above there's no set number. Number is a proxy for choice so you need to give people enough options to have a choice of what they want. At some point a platform reaches a point where there is enough apps that people want that the number of apps is good enough. For me webos isn't there. for others they have what they want and it's fine. What reviewers are saying when they bring up webos's lack of apps is that if you pick this platform you will have less choice then if you pick some other with more apps.

    I think android is popular now because long ago it was licensed to 6 or 7 companies, thus they had 20 phones on the market, eventually. They got market saturation. That made a lot of users, and thus they got much more mainstream app support. But the apps came eventually. And success fed on itself. But to your point i do think some raw number isn't important you just need to satisfy enough of most consumers wants.

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So, what is the number of apps the catalog needs that will make everyone (the reviewers) happy?

    or..

    What app does the catalog need to make you happy?
    as before the number isn't material. I'm about choice. so to make me happy i want enough choice. The thing is the more apps you have the more choice I have. And that's attractive to a consumer thinking about a two year commitment. I'm not gonna list every app that would be needed to satisfy me. I've done it before. It's like 100 apps long.

    I will say this though. The type of app is important to me. There are apps from mainstream companies like a Netflix or Starbucks something and smaller or more independent developers. I'm thinking a guy making like an alarm clock app or something. For me what attracts me to a platform is the mainstream stuff. I've seen the app request threads full of mainstream app requests that can't get filled cause apparently like some third party can't just make a netflix or mint app like they can a twitter or flashlight app or whatever. So for me the smaller apps have a place but to please me you need the big apps, the big name companies on board. The smaller developers are fine but if they can't make the app i want because the apis are restricted or something then the small apps alone don't satisfy me. Thus, it's much more appealing to me to have big companies as partners then a bunch of smaller, homebrew types. Nothing wrong with them. I just want the other stuff more.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/04/2011 at 11:20 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  19. #19  
    Apps I use a lot on my Android phone:

    • Google Voice (not gonna happen, I know)
    • Opera browser
    • Skyfire browser
    • Firefox
    • Scanner Radio
    • TuneIn Radio
    • TweetDeck
    • Plants vs. Zombies
    • Words with Friends
    • Shazam
    • GrubHub
    • Amazon
    • eBay
    • my bank's app
    • Poynt
    • Aldiko books

    Some of these I can more or less get the same functionality from the browser, so I don't miss 'em too much.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
  20.    #20  
    Before it achieved "market saturation" Android was panned by the reviewers as not having the number of apps that iOS had. I noticed that once it got over 10,000 apps the reviewers quieted down, then the number of apps went up exponentially. Android has a lot of UI problems, stability problems, and forking, yet it is viewed favorably because of the app numbers. This was the reason for my first post. The first few lines of iPhones were very limited on what they could do out the box (no document editing, no cut and paste, no tethering, no multi-tasking (still not up to snuff), too many dropped calls (AT&T's fault)) yet they were view favorably by most of the reviewers. Are we using the app count as an excuse to gloss over problems with a platform? Do we make up excuses for our beloved devices because they have an app that we want or need? Also, are apps that attempt to fix glaring problems with the platform really apps?

    I ask these questions not to troll or for flame bait. I use both iOS and Android. I am told that I am naive for defending the merits of webOS. It seems to me that it is not about the stutters in the UI, Android does that also. It's not about the size of the device, the iPad1 was adored and it is the same size. It's not about ease of use, webOS is the easiest to use out of the three. It's not about functionality. It is about the shear number of apps. We make up excuses for them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions