Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The impact of a large app catalogue is competition - there are lot of people in the WebOS app charging over the odds for what are frankly mediocre apps - you can't do that in a situation where there is competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post

I ask these questions not to troll or for flame bait. I use both iOS and Android. I am told that I am naive for defending the merits of webOS. It seems to me that it is not about the stutters in the UI, Android does that also. It's not about the size of the device, the iPad1 was adored and it is the same size. It's not about ease of use, webOS is the easiest to use out of the three. It's not about functionality. It is about the shear number of apps. We make up excuses for them.
    What I've seen about the size is that they only criticize it because iPad is 1 year old and it's like having a 1 year old tablet. THings are moving very fast in the tablet-sphere.

About the number of apps I 100% agree with you.
    We're still talking about tablets and yes guys android has 1% of iOS apps.
    More specifically

iOS : 50000
    webOS : 400 (latest estimate)
    android : 297 (an unofficial number from an android fan site. Updated on the 9th of September.)

I do not care if android has 490.000 applications that scale up. I do not want to use those apps unless if it's a background service such as droidmessenger.

And from those 490.000 there are launchers, keyboards, themes, task managers, widgets that webOS AND iOS DOES NOT need.

That's my opinion of course after having used all three and stayed with android the longest.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzylemon View Post
    I am not so much interested in games but would like more productivity apps and evernote big for touchpad.
    I'd like to see Evermore on the TP as well.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    What I've seen about the size is that they only criticize it because iPad is 1 year old and it's like having a 1 year old tablet. THings are moving very fast in the tablet-sphere.

More specifically

android : 297 (an unofficial number from an android fan site. Updated on the 9th of September.)

I do not care if android has 490.000 applications that scale up. I do not want to use those apps unless if it's a background service such as droidmessenger.

And from those 490.000 there are launchers, keyboards, themes, task managers, widgets that webOS AND iOS DOES NOT need.

That's my opinion of course after having used all three and stayed with android the longest.
    Most of the scaled up apps in Android are useless on tablets. It would be nice to have a "for tablets" heading on the tablet apps like we do for the TouchPad. Would help not to waste time paying for or downloading an app that, while excellent on a phone, is mediocre on a tablet (spoken from over 7 months of experience on the problem). This would also help improve the overall experience for Android tablet users. Of course it will highlight the fact that even webOS has more tablet apps than Android and Android has been out longer. Unfortunately developers see the growth potential in Android phones and not in the tablet market.

I'm hoping that some of the developers who bought the TouchPad on the cheap to use it for Android take a look at what webOS has to offer, then decide to develop a few native apps. Porting 2.3 over to the TouchPad is a start but it is going way to far backwards. The Touchdroid will suffer from a lack of drivers and optimizations for some time. You will need to put a lot of TLC into it just to get basic functions to work right. The only TLC webOS needs is an influx of developers to make more apps and drive up the app count.
    sorli likes this.
    Most of the scaled up apps in Android are useless on tablets. It would be nice to have a "for tablets" heading on the tablet apps like we do for the TouchPad. Would help not to waste time paying for or downloading an app that, while excellent on a phone, is mediocre on a tablet (spoken from over 7 months of experience on the problem). This would also help improve the overall experience for Android tablet users. Of course it will highlight the fact that even webOS has more tablet apps than Android and Android has been out longer. Unfortunately developers see the growth potential in Android phones and not in the tablet market.

I'm hoping that some of the developers who bought the TouchPad on the cheap to use it for Android take a look at what webOS has to offer, then decide to develop a few native apps. Porting 2.3 over to the TouchPad is a start but it is going way to far backwards. The Touchdroid will suffer from a lack of drivers and optimizations for some time. You will need to put a lot of TLC into it just to get basic functions to work right. The only TLC webOS needs is an influx of developers to make more apps and drive up the app count.
    Drivers shouldn't be a problem, there's a device called the "dragon board" that is a developer board (so the tools are out there) and is natively running android. It's almost identical to the touchpad hardware, same cpu and such.

Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post

More specifically

Android definitely has a ton more than 297...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Apps that I've used on my NC that I'd love to pick up for WebOS:

Engadget
    ESPN Radio
    Google Music Client (I have 13k songs on GMusic)
    Trillian
    XDA-Dev app (Suppose Tapatalk would work)
    UniWar (One of my favorite iOS/Android games)
    Cut The Rope
    Audiogalaxy
    Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
    bing
    Chase Bank App
    Benchmarking app of some kind
    Google+
    MLS Matchday
    Monkey Preschool Lunchbox
    Netflix
    Opera Mobile
    PSX Emulator
    Winamp

The funny part is that I DON'T feel like I use many apps, these just make my UX better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingosaurus View Post
    Apps that I've used on my NC that I'd love to pick up for WebOS:

PSX Emulator

The funny part is that I DON'T feel like I use many apps, these just make my UX better.
    I would love that too, playing on something other than my Droid X while away from home would be awesome.
    Number of apps is cheap and inaccurate shorthand for 'my platform is better than yours'. I'd rather see apps that I need and want over number of apps, but I think they go hand in hand.

For me, a growing number of apps means that there is sufficient support of app development, investment in improving the OS, and that the platform has a viable future that people believe in.

Edit: To answer the OP, having the exact same numbers of apps or anything close isn't needed, as many of the apps in the iOS app store are junk apps or abandoned. What would make me happy are feature equivalent apps to what I already use on my iPhone. Preferably, these would be at prices I could afford, and some of them would be from the same devs so that I wouldn't have to stretch too hard to change over.
    Last edited by TheSpike; 09/05/2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Better to answer the OP.
    A useful comparison can be made with the number of websites indexed by search engines. In the 1990s, search engines bragged about the number of sites they had indexed. When those numbers become "as much of the WWW as most people cared about", nobody cared about the numbers any more.
    I would like:
    Epocrates
    Thumb Keyboard
    Words

I would be great if I can hookup an external harddrive for added storage; movies and music. Maybe a way to remotely access my computer so I can access my files, movies or music. I will be dropping Netflix soon; before my price increase. Hulu patch is working great for me.
    I find that the apps I use on a daily basis are always changing. That's the benefit of having developer support -- as my needs evolve, the App Store is right there to accommodate them.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpike View Post
    To answer the OP, having the exact same numbers of apps or anything close isn't needed, as many of the apps in the iOS app store are junk apps or abandoned. What would make me happy are feature equivalent apps to what I already use on my iPhone. Preferably, these would be at prices I could afford, and some of them would be from the same devs so that I wouldn't have to stretch too hard to change over.
    That was an honest and thoughtful answer that I can understand and relate to. There are some apps I would like to see from both iOS and Android but I don't want to get stuck using either of those OS just to get them. The prices of some webOS has been high do to the low demand. I'm hoping that with the extra people using the platform now that will change.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    A useful comparison can be made with the number of websites indexed by search engines. In the 1990s, search engines bragged about the number of sites they had indexed. When those numbers become "as much of the WWW as most people cared about", nobody cared about the numbers any more.
    I remember that. That was big then but no one seems to care about that anymore. I don't ask how many pages Google has indexed vs Bing as long as I can find what I'm searching for. Apple created the app count as a marketing plow and we all somehow fell for it. I wonder how long it will be before we all stop caring about that and start carrying about whether the platform has the apps we need
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I find that the apps I use on a daily basis are always changing. That's the benefit of having developer support -- as my needs evolve, the App Store is right there to accommodate them.
    Are your needs evolving based on your needs or are your needs evolving based on the apps that pop up in the App Store?
  15.    #35  
    I would like to see some developers hop in here and take a look at the demand for some of these apps. If you know an Android or iOS developer invite them to the forums and let them see that we are vibrant community that is willing to pay for the apps they produce. I don't develop, but I know from reading on the front page of PreCentral and webOSroundup that there are tools that will allow them to write their apps for all of the major platforms, to include webOS, at once (like Phone Gap) and that porting from iOS to webOS only takes a few hours to a few days, depending on the app, using the Plugin Development Kit.
    Are your needs evolving based on your needs or are your needs evolving based on the apps that pop up in the App Store?
    You know...that's a really good question. I don't think I have an answer for you just yet.
    It's interesting reading this, as I don't know what a lot of the apps listed do. I switched from WebOS to Android for my phone because there were medical reference apps I *need* to have in my pocket.

The tablet is still more of a toy for me, and the apps for the TP are keeping me very entertained for my $99. What's really missing? Netflix, and a good video player. Kalemsoft is OK, and hopefully will continue to improve.

Flipboard for iOS is really awesome, and that would be nice, but not vital.

I'm enjoying Angry Birds Rio and Atlantis Sky Patrol. If quality games like these can come out faster than I can finish them, I will stay happy.

What app would I want for work? Epic Canto, but I think I'll be OK without it for now.
    Palm Pilot Pro > Handspring Visorphone > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > Pre Plus > Droid Pro & Touchpad
    I just want fruit ninja.
    zappcatt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Drivers shouldn't be a problem, there's a device called the "dragon board" that is a developer board (so the tools are out there) and is natively running android. It's almost identical to the touchpad hardware, same cpu and such.

Android definitely has a ton more than 297...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Wanna bet????? Google it if you do not believe me.

As for the drivers sorry bro but those where from HP and Qualcom, and I'm pretty sure that if the guys from Touchrdoid or whatever group they wanna call it could build similar drivers (I mean working and stable) they would most probably work for the former and not just be a part of the underground scene. Just like Cyanogen.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Wanna bet????? Google it if you do not believe me.
    I just went into the app market and limited to "for tablet" and got 514 results.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast