Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fisack23
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1.    #1  
    I have been waiting anxiously for QuickOffice to bring document editing to the Touchpad, and earlier this week it arrived! I was quick to try it out, but I didn't want to give a review of it based upon first impressions.

Throughout this week I have been using it more in-depth, just to get a feel for it. This is what I like and what I don't like:

- Ability to change fonts (three right now), colors, italics, bold, underlining.
    - Save in Word (.docx) formating
    - Easy to save, send, print

DISLIKES:
    - No auto-correct
    - Unable to change paragraph styles
    - No cut/paste feature. (You can highlight to cut/copy, but it's difficult to paste)
    - Not quite intuitive yet - if they can get the upper ribbon working with line spacing, formatting, cut, paste, save, send, etc, that would help.
    - No "UNDO" feature
    - More fonts

It is quite functional and gets the job done - something I've been missing! I like it better than Typewriter Beta because of the limited fonts/cut and paste that it does have.

It was frustrating not having auto-correct, full cut/paste, and undo functions. I didn't realize how much I use them until I tried writing a 5 page document.

It was also very frustrating to have the program crash while trying multiple cuts. You can cut by double-tapping where you want to start and then highlighting the text to cut/copy, but then you run into three problems:

1 - Sometimes while trying to highlight text it tries to page up/page down instead of highlighting.

2 - There is no easy way to paste where you want (i.e. - no one button to click). I got around it by typing useless characters (at least two), highlighting them, and then tapping once on the highlighted section to bring up the CUT/COPY/PASTE function. But you have to have something to paste over; you can't just paste on a blank line.

3 - After cutting a lot of extraneous text, the program would crash and wouldn't allow me to save/send/cut/paste or do anything. Luckily it lies to you (it says it didn't save, but actually did), so closing out and re-opening brings back most of what you had.

All in all, I give this a PLUS. For a free program, you can't complain. I would be happier if they could get these issues fixed, or I will just wait until Picsel comes out to see how that works.
    3138NV and Jive Turkey like this.
    please check if you can easily insert a picture into a document as this is very important for me
  3.    #3  
    I just tried it, and so far I haven't found a way to make it happen. I'll keep searching.
    I've been having problems with QuickOffice not recognizing and opening some of
    my word documents that i've tranferred to either by USB or Box.net.
    Is there another program available to view/edit word docs or is there
    a way to fix this problem?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    What happens if you copy the files up using local access (via USB)? Still the same or is it box.net that's causing the problem?

Alan
    It has basic editing. The fear I have is that amount of time before the next update if any at all.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    It has basic editing. The fear I have is that amount of time before the next update if any at all.
    Let's face it - it's pretty lame in it's current form.
    Jake_M likes this.
    I haven't found how to save document files as DOC format. It defaults to DOCX.
    Anyone help?
    It's nice for being free, I just don't see myself getting a whole lot of work done on it. Mostly type stuff up to edit and format later.

Ugh at the bullets, tab does nothing.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    It's nice for being free, I just don't see myself getting a whole lot of work done on it. Mostly type stuff up to edit and format later.

Ugh at the bullets, tab does nothing.
    It's got that "there, we've fulfilled our contractual obligations" feel to it. As you say, it basically good for some note taking but beyond that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ama View Post
    I've been having problems with QuickOffice not recognizing and opening some of
    my word documents that i've tranferred to either by USB or Box.net.
    Is there another program available to view/edit word docs or is there
    a way to fix this problem?
    It actually applies to both USB transferred files and the ones uploaded thru Box.
    Another issue:
    When typing out a new document, as you reach the bottom of the screen the touchpad doesn't adjust the display to center what you're typing. Basically once you reach the bottom you will continue to type at the bottom of the screen without the option to scroll down to have your text centered or at the top, which is annoying. A quick fix is to just add a bunch of blank lines below the text manually.
    Looks like document editing is still a big concern then. Bugger
    Nice review. I agree, I can't complain too much because it's free and it's a vast improvement over the Beta Typewriter app that I was using until the QuickOffice update arrived. Hopefully, more improvements will come with the rumored OTA update. I basically put my laptop in the closet once the ability to edit docs became a reality.
    I agree, it has serious limitations for creating documents. However, for editing imported docs itīs actually not bad... depending on how much "editing" you are doing.
    For example, when you bring in a doc, its fonts become part of the fonts available in the drop down list. Thatīs pretty nice. And as mentioned, itīs very easy to copy/cut/paste existing text and into existing formatted space. From what Iīve tried (which is limited) it also seems to deal fairly well with the page formatting in the existing doc.
    Iīm betting that once they get to a million downloads of the free version, (which should be any day now!) they will produce a paid "pro" version just like they have on iOS and Android, with much fuller features.

Those of us whoīve been using webOS for over 2 years are probably much more pleased with this than new TP buyers who just jumped on for the cheap thrill. Either way, itīs good to remember that weīre talking about a free app on a (now) $99 device.
  16.    #16  
    I agree - for a free program, it does it's job. Maybe Picsel will lend me a trial copy of their document editing program to try out? (Hint, hint?)