Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blue_duck
  1.    #1  
    What type of .roms do I need to look for? Ive tried a few but I just get blank screens.

Thanks!
    Probably not going to find too much help on that here, at least from most of the folks that have been around a while. The forums do not support direction to piracy.

I will say, I believe, if you read the instructions in the app it should square this away for you.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), it's not piracy if you own the games in their original cartridge form.

I got a box full of SNES games from a friend of mine...this is my excuse to download ROMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MercuryCrest View Post
    As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), it's not piracy if you own the games in their original cartridge form.

I got a box full of SNES games from a friend of mine...this is my excuse to download ROMs.
    I am not going to get into the technicalities of the piracy of roms vs owning physical media. I will say that technically even ripping your DVD's for personal use (breaking DRM) is construed as breaking copyright/EULA.

Someone posting a link to a site for roms would be sending you to a piracy site, actions as such are not condoned by these forums.

If you go to any emulator sites/wiki/etc, you should notice that they always (at least anyone I have ever seen) will tell you they cannot and will not direct link you to roms. The only exception to this is the handful of MAME games that have been released as freeware by the copyright holder at this point (and this is truly a handful).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    A little birdy told me that this is how it's done:

A search online for SNES ROMs will return a lot of sites that have them available for free. Terrible stuff, really. Just plain evil.

Anyways, you can put ROM files into the /snes/roms folder that SuperNES should automatically create. If not, you can create it.

Honestly, though, I don't like the app. It was clearly designed for smartphones and not a tablet. The on-screen controller is such a pain to use and is way too spaced out.
    Wozza666 likes this.
    @OldSkool: You're absolutely right. There are technical/legal hurdles that just don't need to be brought up. I probably should have kept my mouth shut.

*Must remember not to repeat "information" found online...because it's found online*

(This isn't sarcasm...I really should have thought a bit more before I posted)
    i found a bunch of roms, and when i pull up supernes, i can get the list of games, but i would say that 3/10 of the roms i download actually work. are there specific ones that i should be aiming towards getting?

when i click on the names, i just get kicked back to the home screen and supernes closes. does that just mean that the rom that i got for that particular game wasn't compatible?

i did create the folders that several individuals mentioned as well.
    snes folder >> roms folder & skins folder
    i can change through the skins no problem too. just having troubles with some of the roms working. if someone could help me out and provide some more information, i'd appreciate it. you could even pm me instead if you'd prefer to not post.
    @blue_duck you're right, SuperNES was originally designed for the Palm Pre, but if you look around in the forums here, there are people actively trying to make it a little easier to play on the tablet. They are making new skins, people that don't have the skills to make their own, have made requests and from what I've seen, those requests have been carried out in a fairly short time period.

As far as finding ROMs, how badly you want them will provide incentive for you to find them. I have about 20-30, and it's been quite awhile since I found them, but all in all, it took me maybe an hour of searching. It really isn't that hard, they are out there, but it is up to you toxins them on your own.

Don't take this the wrong way, all I'm saying is that there is a lot of titles available, and it might just take some perseverance on your part to find them.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-emulator.html

this is the original thread from when it was initially released.

Good luck, you'll find them eventually!
    I did actually spend about 3 hours researching, downloading, and loading them on my touchpad, so I didn't just pop on here and start asking questions before actually searching. I used a website that I read about from a youtube video, and just tried out a bunch of em. The success rate for the ones I got weren't too high though. I think all in all, out of the 100 that I loaded on my touchpad, I've got maybe 10 that ACTUALLY work (found out by individually clicking each one that's on my list in supernes). The files are in .zip format in the rom folder. I'm just curious as to why these roms don't load up, and I'm kicked back to the original home screen when I try to click em. I do appreciate the response though.
    My only piece of additional advice would be to test them on a computer emulator to see if it's a compatibility issue with the webOS app or something with the rom...
    Anyone know how to hide the skins from the Photos and Video app without making them disappear from the SNES app ? When I use Internalz Pro program and set the skins folder to Hidden from webOS they no longer show up in the Photos and Videos app but they don't show up as an option within SNES either.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhisbored View Post
    I did actually spend about 3 hours researching, downloading, and loading them on my touchpad, so I didn't just pop on here and start asking questions before actually searching. I used a website that I read about from a youtube video, and just tried out a bunch of em. The success rate for the ones I got weren't too high though. I think all in all, out of the 100 that I loaded on my touchpad, I've got maybe 10 that ACTUALLY work (found out by individually clicking each one that's on my list in supernes). The files are in .zip format in the rom folder. I'm just curious as to why these roms don't load up, and I'm kicked back to the original home screen when I try to click em. I do appreciate the response though.

All mine end in .smc file extension if that helps any.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am not going to get into the technicalities of the piracy of roms vs owning physical media. I will say that technically even ripping your DVD's for personal use (breaking DRM) is construed as breaking copyright/EULA.
    Not trying to get into an argument, just informative, this is actually not true. You are allowed to do whatever you want with anything you own, including breaking encryption under Fair Use of DMCA. You just legally can't tell any one else how to do it or provide a tool to do it. Even then it isn't really even a crime, just "illegal" so you can get sued over it by the owners of the copyright. There has been no real definitive answer of whether you are allowed to download things you already physically own but no one has been sued because of it.

Anyway, IMO, if the publisher no longer gives you access to the content you are searching for to purchase, I don't really see the problem ethically with downloading something. The main argument coming from MPAA and RIAA, etc. is that they are losing sales through pirating. Well, if they no longer make something available for sale, that argument no longer holds and no one loses anything of value.
    Quote Originally Posted by wydileie View Post
    Not trying to get into an argument, just informative, this is actually not true. You are allowed to do whatever you want with anything you own, including breaking encryption under Fair Use of DMCA. You just legally can't tell any one else how to do it or provide a tool to do it. Even then it isn't really even a crime, just "illegal" so you can get sued over it by the owners of the copyright. There has been no real definitive answer of whether you are allowed to download things you already physically own but no one has been sued because of it.

Anyway, IMO, if the publisher no longer gives you access to the content you are searching for to purchase, I don't really see the problem ethically with downloading something. The main argument coming from MPAA and RIAA, etc. is that they are losing sales through pirating. Well, if they no longer make something available for sale, that argument no longer holds and no one loses anything of value.
    Sorry I forgot they ammended that law.... but the tools to rip the DVD's are still illegal.