Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Should it be very difficult to write a patch for the ny times app that lets it work in a full screen mode? Figure it just needs a back button, right?

This would be much more useful than android/iphone apps as this app hasn't been limited by the ny times
    Infinite Jest likes this.
    Totally agree. I pretty much depend on NYT for my internet news needs, so having a functional app for the Touchpad would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I made the changes, very easy. just followed instructions here, will see about putting a patch together.

Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    mc_gusto and carldc like this.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    screenshots of my modifed nytimes app
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I agree, it needs a patch to actual tell news and not just "what if" and opinion articles.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I agree, it needs a patch to actual tell news and not just "what if" and opinion articles.
    can you please not thread crap.

#1, my personal politics clash with many of the things the NY Times state on a regular basis

#2, Even with that, I feel its important to read because its important to understand people whose politics differ from yours

#3, most importantly, it could be a work of fiction, some people would still want the mojo application to work as best as it can on a touchpad.
    drjrdemelo and trexlee001 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    screenshots of my modifed nytimes app
    That is awesome! Any advice on how I can get that on mine? I don't have much technical knowledge.
    are you allowed to post that patch?
    I made the changes, very easy. just followed instructions here, will see about putting a patch together.

Developer How-To: Mojo apps on the TouchPad | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Is it going to show up on this list?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...d-patches.html
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    maybe, unsure exactly what to do for it.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Code:
    --- appinfo.json.orig
    +++ appinfo.json
    @@ -6,5 +6,6 @@
     	"version": "0.9.16",
     	"icon": "icon.png",
     	"vendor": "The New York Times Company",
    -	"removable": "true"
    +	"removable": "true",
    +	"uiRevision": 2
     }
    and

Code:
    --- article-scene-assistant.jsjsjs.$bak$
    +++ $article$-$scene$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$257$,$9$ +$257$,$6$ @@

$if$($event$.$type$ == $Mojo$.$Event$.$command$) {
     			$switch$ ($event$.$command$) {
    +				$case$ &$quot$;$goBack$&$quot$;:
    +					$this$.$controller$.$stageController$.$popScene$();
    +					$break$;
     				$case$ $Mojo$.$Menu$.$helpCmd$:
     					$that$.$controller$.$stageController$.$pushScene$('$support$');
     					$break$;
    @@ -$445$,$8$ +$442$,$6$ @@
     		$return$ {
     			$visible$: $true$,
     			$items$: [
    +				{$label$: &$quot$;$Back$&$quot$;,
    +					$command$: '$goBack$'},
     				$Mojo$.$Menu$.$editItem$,
     				{$label$: &$quot$;$Share$&$quot$;,
     					$items$: [
    very simple
    can you please not thread crap.

#1, my personal politics clash with many of the things the NY Times state on a regular basis

#2, Even with that, I feel its important to read because its important to understand people whose politics differ from yours

#3, most importantly, it could be a work of fiction, some people would still want the mojo application to work as best as it can on a touchpad.
    lighten up
    OK, I'm missing something here. I'm new to webOS and not really much of a developer beyond Perl scripting.

Can I just modify those files directly using Internalz? I download the SDK and Jason's IPK builder and haven't been able to figure out how to make either one work.

I've got the NYTimes ipk installed. I've tried editing the files directly with Internalz, and also tried editing them on my PC and sideloading them into the Touchpad. However, when I start the NYTimes app it's still coming up in the "phone size" mode, not full screen?

Does anyone have any insight into what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by ron64 View Post
    OK, I'm missing something here. I'm new to webOS and not really much of a developer beyond Perl scripting.

Can I just modify those files directly using Internalz? I download the SDK and Jason's IPK builder and haven't been able to figure out how to make either one work.

I've got the NYTimes ipk installed. I've tried editing the files directly with Internalz, and also tried editing them on my PC and sideloading them into the Touchpad. However, when I start the NYTimes app it's still coming up in the "phone size" mode, not full screen?

Does anyone have any insight into what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
    It seems like it's working now. I'm not exactly sure why. I've done a number of reboots (in fact I installed the CM7 Android port), and now I've got full screen and a back menu item.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Forgot about this, hoping for a patch... Since I figured it out, I figured I might as well expand on the directions given by spotter above:

The files are

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.nytimes.reader/appinfo.json
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.nytimes.reader/app/assistants/article-scene-assistant.jsjsjs

I used WebOS QuickInstall (WOSQI) to get a Linux commandline. Type:

cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.nytimes.reader/

to get to the first location.

ls

will get you a list of files there, if you want to check (and also to check after making the copies).

cp appinfo.json appinfo.json.orig

will make a copy of the original file, called "appinfo.json.orig"

cd app
    cd assistants
    cp article-scene-assistant.jsjsjs $article$-$scene$-$assistant$.$js$.$bak$

gets you to the other file and makes a copy of it as well.

Then close that window and use WOSQI to receive the files from the Touchpad. Enter the whole path and file name as listed above as the source.

Edit appinfo.json starting at line 6, add the part in red (including the comma after "removable": "true").
    Code:
     	"version": "0.9.16",
     	"icon": "icon.png",
     	"vendor": "The New York Times Company",
    	"removable": "true",
    	"uiRevision": 2
     }
    Edit article-scene-assistant.jsjsjs $starting$ $at$ $line$ $257$ $and$ $add$ $the$ $part$ $in$ $red$:
    Code:
     		if(event.type == Mojo.Event.command) {
     			switch (event.command) {
    				case "goBack":
    					this.controller.stageController.popScene();
    					break;
     				case Mojo.Menu.helpCmd:
     					that.controller.stageController.pushScene('support');
     					break;

And also in the same file starting at line 445 (it was line 442, now 445 after adding those 3 lines):
    Code:
     		return {
     			visible: true,
     			items: [
    				{label: "Back",
    					command: 'goBack'},
     				Mojo.Menu.editItem,
     				{label: "Share",
     					items: [
    Copy these files back to the Touchpad using WOSQI to Send files. Fill in the entire path as the location to put them, not including the filename.

After sending both files back, do a complete Device Restart. (Not sure if a Luna Restart is sufficient? I did a Device Restart and that worked.)

It does look very nice once patched!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    A few further fixes -- most interesting of which is "Return to Article List" just to the left of the sharing/saving buttons at the bottom:

Also fixed the image captions and ... adjusted the top of the article for more reading area.

I'll post the diffs if people are interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    stbxxl and hankbuddy like this.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pl212 View Post
    A few further fixes -- most interesting of which is "Return to Article List" just to the left of the sharing/saving buttons at the bottom:

Click to view quoted image

Also fixed the image captions and ... adjusted the top of the article for more reading area.

I would be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by pl212 View Post

Click to view quoted image

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Yes.. If only it was more "fair and balanced" like your usual source of "truth" right? :rollseyes:
    james H likes this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Please do post it...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast