webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > App Request (Google Voice over Wifi)
App Request (Google Voice over Wifi)
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09/18/2011, 05:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

GVoice does not turn your touchpad into a WiFi phone. Nearly all other features of google voice are supported,as far as I am aware, to some degree.

I would love to hear you guys input as to what would make for a great gvoice app. Obviously the phone thing would be nice, but it uses an entirely different service that uses a library that is notoriously difficult to get working on a native compiler let alone on a cross compiler with limited support libraries.

but I would love to hear suggestions for other gvoice related features!
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 12:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

The google voice feature that I am interested in, is to receive and make google voice calls from my webOS phone and tPad over the internet. For that, along with the ability to access and listen to my voice mails, I would be willing to spend $10 or maybe even more.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 03:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

I saw the GVoice app in the market place. How does that compare to the Google Voice app in android??? I know I can still use the browser but I really like the Voice App in android. Im mainly interested in being able to text but wil defintely pay if I can make google voice calls over wifi!!!
froggys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 03:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

I would pay up to $50 for an app like this, I could finally get rid of my stupid ipod touch 4g that i've been using talkatone (calls) and GV Mobile +(texts with push notifications)
Old 09/21/2011, 06:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I saw the GVoice app in the market place. How does that compare to the Google Voice app in android??? I know I can still use the browser but I really like the Voice App in android. Im mainly interested in being able to text but wil defintely pay if I can make google voice calls over wifi!!!

ive never used androids. I use the texting part of gvoice as my primary messenger though. That's why I wrote it unfortunately its not in the app catalog until the next update gets approve because someone at google screwed up the main google voice page by throwing html comments in the middle of javascript.. Doh.

I'd love to have voicecalling via wifi too.. But its a totally different thing. Yes it ties to the same functions as google voice but google voice does not do it. Its also far more difficult to get working. :P

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 05/19/2012, 10:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
I would pay up to $50 for an app like this, I could finally get rid of my stupid ipod touch 4g that i've been using talkatone (calls) and GV Mobile +(texts with push notifications)
Webos support!!

There's a vote going on for a webOS version. I logged in and placed my votes.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 01:27 PM   #27 (permalink)

i just heard of this talkatone app for android and iOS yesterday. phone calls for free over wifi or 3G?

is anyone working on adapting this tech for webOS?

i voted, as well as posted a comment on their FB page stating i'd buy their premium svc if it was available on webOS.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 06:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Unfortunately, webOS does not have suitable APIs for building a real VoIP app that can be put into the catalog. I suspect it is possible to do it, via some trickery that is not normal, and not allowed in the app catalog, but I don't have the knowledge of how to operate gstreamer on a level that allows me to achieve it.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 11/30/2012, 08:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Webos support!!

There's a vote going on for a webOS version. I logged in and placed my votes.
Placed my vote, sad thing is that I'm sure our voices will be unheard....

I think that Google mainly doesn't even care for WebOS at all, I have placed WebOS support for several forums from thousands of developers worldwide. And so far, nothing has happened due to of course the incompetence of HP with this whole affair of dropping support for the third time with older WebOS versions and also no hardware makes things worse.
Old 11/30/2012, 10:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Unfortunately, webOS does not have suitable APIs for building a real VoIP app that can be put into the catalog. I suspect it is possible to do it, via some trickery that is not normal, and not allowed in the app catalog, but I don't have the knowledge of how to operate gstreamer on a level that allows me to achieve it.
so then....

the only way to make free calls over the web...

would be to get an old android phone, install the talkatone app, then freetether it to my Pre via BT and use its data connection?????

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, I'M TRYING IT TOMORROW!!!!!!!

y'no i probably should have added a disclaimer to all my comments the past two weeks, that i've been recovering from a concussion.
Old 12/01/2012, 02:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Actually, you can search around these forums and pick up Linphone.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: TJs10thPre
Old 12/01/2012, 11:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Actually, you can search around these forums and pick up Linphone.
i just read the thread on Lin Alpha. thank you for mentioning it.

i may try to volunteer to help with alpha testing if they're still in that phase. (the thread did start quite a while back)

i have this T-Mo plan that's no longer available as far as i can tell, and i'd rather not drop it if i could make calls over data. it's $30 for 100mins talk and 5Gig data. no one is offering that kinda price for that much data anymore, and i know if i let it expire that'll be the end of that.

i may just have to concede and pop that sim card into a friend's android as a christmas present.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0