Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #1  
    given that the single most used app for anyone using a tablet will most likely be the web browser, if HP were to focus on one thing and one thing only with its upcoming OTA updates, it should be focusing on making the web browsing experience top notch.

I own an iPad as well, and 99% of what I do on it is browse the web. The TouchPad browser is faster and more responsive than Apple's, but it's riddled with issues and shortcomings that don't affect the iPad's browser. I'd like to hear what other issues people are having with the browser, and maybe we can push HP to incorporate these fixes in a future OTA update.

Bugs/Issues

Drop Down Search Box: You need only try the forum search at Precentral.net to see that once you click on search, it will reveal the drop-down "Search Forums" box only to disappear once you place your cursor in the box and try to type anything.

Not Displaying Many Photos on a Single Page: If you go to a website with many individual photos on a single page (such as http://www.huffingtonpost.com) the browser will fail to download many of the images. You can see a similar thing when visiting a friend's profile on Facebook who has several hundred photos. It seems to only download and display the first 20 - 40 thumbnails. I imagine it has something to do with the number of GET requests or a limited cache? Hitting refresh does not rectify the problem.

Javascript + Links: If a link both activates a javascript and is an html link, it will choose the link over the javascript. For instance, go to Slickdeals.net and click on a link like Forums. It usually would show a drop down menu to select a sub-forum. But the webOS browser just jumps to the HTML link and never shows the javascript drop-down menu. It should activate the javascript on a single tap and take the link on a second tap.

Adobe Flash: It's great having flash support, but what good is it if it's buggy and unreliable. Many videos suffer from a green picture for at least several seconds or are plagued by constant buffering. HP and Adobe struck out on their first attempt at implementing Flash on the TouchPad. Hopefully they can update this and improve on it considerably.

Downloading Images in PHP file: If an image is embedded in a php file, such as often the case for forum based attachments, the webOS browser fails to properly download it. An example of this is at (http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...hmentid=103105). The browser is properly displaying the image, so clearly it downloaded it temporarily and is in memory. It should therefore be able to easily save the image.

Detrimental Caching: the browser often caches web pages in an inefficient and detrimental way. It does not reload or refetch a webpage if it's in the cache despite there being changes. Is the Browser ignoring the Last-modified field of the HTML header, or the cache expire times of the http server? An example of this problem can be seen by going to the Precentral tablets forum page (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-tablets/) and noting what the Last Post is shown as for a sub-forum you've previously visited. If you go into that sub-forum the top post may still be somewhere towards the bottom due to the browser using the stale data from the cache.

Browser Multitasking: opening up a website in a new card and then returning to another card before that page loads will not allow it to load in the background as you might expect.

Poor Small Font Rendering: When a webpage is fully zoomed out, the font rendering is poor and blurry. Perhaps the font sub-pixel rendering or anti-aliasing is counter productive at small sizes and needs to be more intelligently applied depending on the zoom level.

Fixed Position Divs Don't Stay Fixed: when a css div is specified to have 'position: fixed' it does not stay put and continually moves around the screen trying to "catch up" to where it should be positioned. Often times it even gets cut off and is not entirely visible. An example of this is shown here (http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/menus).

Shortcomings

Saved Login Credentials (Passwords): Nearly all modern browsers (and not so modern browsers like IE6) support saving of passwords. I know Advanced Browser may support this, but this ought to be in the stock browser. Remember passwords and store them in an encrypted database.

Searching Web Pages: Currently you cannot search the contents of a web page. This can be very helpful at times and is another feature of all modern web browsers. It's laughable that it's not included.

Text Reflow/Font Resizing: This isn't as imperative on a tablet with its larger screen as it is on a cell phone. But when you zoom in on a portion of text, many web browsers will reflow the block of text to fit within the width of the screen (so as you zoom in and therefore the text size increases, it still fits on the screen). This removes the need to continually pan back and forth when reading a passage of text. This is similar to increasing the font size on your PC's web browser and it still rendering the page correctly.

Bookmark Reordering/Organizing: At a minimum you should be able to reorder the bookmarks (much as the webOS phones allow you to do), and perhaps even better yet would be support for bookmark folders.

Visual Scrollbar: A thin, translucent scrollbar that would only serve as a means to determine how large a page is and your relative location in the page would be nice. It should only be shown when scrolling and disappear when the page is not being scrolled.

Plugin Support: I know this is a pipe-dream, but it'd be nice to have some sort of plugin support much like Firefox's extensions (this could allow such things as changing the user-agent, ad blocking, etc.)
    Last edited by onlinespending; 08/31/2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Njb04, Sukiyaki, DRFP and 16 others like this.
    preachin' to the choir :-) i'm right there with you. have you sent this list via the webOS feedback page or twitter it to people like @Adora and @RichardKerris yet?

for those who don't know, the link to the webOS feedback page is Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    cocochannel likes this.
    LOL HP needs to focus on keeping webOS alive.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Add the dodgy reloading of old pages from cache and locking the screen left to right to give a smoother browsing and they should be all good
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    And one of the many things that they can do that is to continue to improve the OS...
    onlinespending likes this.
  6.    #6  
    and actually i think a vastly improved browser experience is a means to that end. if those that bought these firesale TouchPad's walk away with a pleasant experience using the device they'd be that much more inclined to purchase another webOS device down the road (even if manufactured by someone other than HP) and would be more likely to recommend it to a friend or colleague. on the other hand, screwing up something as fundamental as the web browser can damage any hope webOS has.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Well if they do the 360 and re release the TP

LOL

This is insane but good

I think the TP is better than other tablets but only after a lot of work with Updates and patches I think there are some Devs here that need to work for HP and show them how its done!

WOW!
    As I posted in another thread - My biggest gripe with WebOS has been the lack of some pretty basic features that should be present in a modern browser. That and it just being much slower than it should even after OC and installing various patches. You say it is faster than your iPad but I have found that it is much slower than my iPad 2 running iOS5b6.

Some missing features:
    - Lack of bookmark management (folders, groups, renaming, changing URL etc.)
    - Lack of bookmark sync or import
    - Lack of bookmark "bar"
    - No tabs
    - Doesn't remember login sessions
    - Lack of proxy configuration
    - Lack of user agent configuration

Plus lots of little things
    - Reload doesn't remember position on page
    - No method for jumping to beginning or end of page
    - No view of where on the page you are
    - No option for viewing certain things inline, like PDF.
    it would be great if we had the ability to organize bookmarks too.
    virtualkyr likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    preachin' to the choir :-) i'm right there with you. have you sent this list via the webOS feedback page or twitter it to people like @Adora and @RichardKerris yet?

for those who don't know, the link to the webOS feedback page is Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Thanks. I will certainly submit this list to the webOS feedback and perhaps twitter as well. I encourage others to do the same!
    Quote Originally Posted by mando View Post
    it would be great if we had the ability to organize bookmarks too.
    There is/was prior to webOS 3.x

Like I've said in other threads. 3.x was a rebuild when HP bought Palm, and there are a bunch of features that was dropped in 3.x because they couldn't get it done in time.

The saddest truth out of this whole thing is that, even with more resources at HP, they couldn't get it out on time and in a polished state. There's been some speculation as to how many people were working on it at Palm vs. when Palm became HPalm, but I wonder if it company culture also has something to do with it as well. Sometimes, it's the culture/people that makes a product successful, and throwing more bodies can only do so much.
    HP is just like a government. Too big and compliant to get things done right.

Great thread and I agree 100%. I was totally disappointed with the browser performance of lack of.
    virtualkyr likes this.
    Thanks for your post Onlinespending - it seemed very appropriate as I'm trying to get my TP to work on the Cloud ERP, Business Accounting Software, CRM, Ecommerce — NetSuite site I use for invoicing and found I can't enter an item in a line where I have a button that indicates "add item" - there is simply no response at all, even though it loads the item in the line(please bear with my non-tech descriptions - am a veterinarian, not a website builder/coder) - assume this is a function with javascript?

Hate to say it works well with Safari, albeit on a little IPod Touch - would much prefer it work on my Pre+ and especially new TP!

thanks, jon
    Even a location bar so you know how big the page is you are viewing would be nice... (homebrewers! any patches in the works?!)
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    There is/was prior to webOS 3.x

Like I've said in other threads. 3.x was a rebuild when HP bought Palm, and there are a bunch of features that was dropped in 3.x because they couldn't get it done in time.

The saddest truth out of this whole thing is that, even with more resources at HP, they couldn't get it out on time and in a polished state. There's been some speculation as to how many people were working on it at Palm vs. when Palm became HPalm, but I wonder if it company culture also has something to do with it as well. Sometimes, it's the culture/people that makes a product successful, and throwing more bodies can only do so much.
    Why were they rebuilding it in the first place?
    Fixed elements need to be fixed as well. Go to the following link on a TP and on any other device. On the TP, the element scrolls with the page and has to catch up

CSS: fixed menus

Edit: Also better CSS3/HTML5 Support.

Edit: Also when hitting back, take me to the same place on the page as I was before. Do not return me back to the top of the page so I have to scroll down to where I was
    Last edited by Mikhial66; 08/30/2011 at 06:29 PM.
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Personally, I find that the cache saving entire pages - especially ones that change all the time (like forums) is the browser's biggest problem.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    Personally, I find that the cache saving entire pages - especially ones that change all the time (like forums) is the browser's biggest problem.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I had witnessed this myself and I agree with you, it is quite annoying to say the least. I added it to the OP.
    I totally agree with the OP.
    if the browser could handle major web apps very well. . . Then that would go a long ways to compensating for apps.
    Maybe it is just me but when I save a bookmark with parameters it replaces the & with & then when I use the bookmark it replaces & with & resulting in the page not displaying correctly.
    spitz62 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast