webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > WANTED: SIP/VoIP client for HP Touchpad
WANTED: SIP/VoIP client for HP Touchpad

Old 08/30/2011, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, people.

Is there any free (preferably) and working SIP client, which will work on HP Touchpad?

It should be able to let me choose, which SIP server to use, instead of forcing me to use a pre-defined server and pump an account on it with some money...

Thanks in advance for your help.
korvin1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2011, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not yet. I know developers were working on a SIP/VOIP client for the Palm Pre but it hasn't been released publicly yet. I'm pretty sure they are working on creating a plug-in or app for the TouchPad that will work with a SIP service but as of right now there is not one available.

You would think it would be fairly easy to do since Skype is already integrated into the TouchPad but who knows, it could be a very difficult process...

Last edited by benthe1; 09/01/2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
benthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, man. I've tried latest alpha of lingophone, it starts all right on TouchPad, you can even specify connection parameters, but it won't ever connect to a sip server for me...

Let's hope, somebody will develop a better app soon - i'd definitely buy it for 0.5-1 Euro.
korvin1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

+1 please
local.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

"I think" the phone app on the TP is already a SIP client (skype integration), it's just a matter of making a "HP Synergy Plugin" for generic services like the "Email Account" where you manually put in all the info. Im going to look into it more because this is something I want as well (even though I already paired my TP to my cell phone and can make and receive calls no problem)
ruben00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm also very interested in getting a generic SIP VoIP Phone client for my TP. It seems like it would be an easy thing to get working since there already is a Skype phone and the device doesn't suffer from some of the insane lockout mechanisms like Blackberrys.

I've installed an Ubuntu image, and I was going to try using one of the various linux softphone clients to see if they work. Anyone else try it that way? Certainly not the ideal solution, but I'm interested to see if it works.
enki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was able to install Ekiga under Ubuntu. It seems to work, but the call quality is horrible. Just clips and segments of audio. I've tried with the traffic going over the WAN as well as my OpenVPN tunnel. I didn't have high hopes, more of just a proof of concept thing, but at least it's semi-functional!
enki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

+1
vabs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

+1 Would love to get my VOIP line working on my touchpad
Mad.Whack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2011, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

+1
Would love to use voipcheap on my touchpad!
warchild#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would love to be able to access my obi100 from my Touchpad. I hope someone gets an app going.
MxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just got the obi100 and I'm loving it. Would love to use the touchpad and my pre with it. Would be awesome if obi made an app.
yourdiyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2011, 05:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben00 View Post
"I think" the phone app on the TP is already a SIP client (skype integration), it's just a matter of making a "HP Synergy Plugin" for generic services like the "Email Account" where you manually put in all the info. Im going to look into it more because this is something I want as well (even though I already paired my TP to my cell phone and can make and receive calls no problem)
Skype is *not not not* SIP.
radicalbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 05:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes it would be great for the touchpad if we could use a sip/voip app on it. With webOS being base on a linux kernel one would assume an app would have been made to serve that deman for sip/voip and or Googlevoice.
heavyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 06:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I never thought about it possibly being implemented in synergy already. I doubt it though. *I'm close to getting linphone *built however the linker is throwing errors that I do not understand. *I have no idea if solving that problem will result in a usable product or not but its the first step

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

SIP VoIP support could be integrated into Synergy, but it's not - I checked that too.

I guess we'll have to wait for someone to implement SIP support as an app or a Synergy plug-in.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

What is up with all these extra *s in my messages.. *So, you say its possible to connect new voice and/or telephone things via synergy?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 11:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

+∞

i need sip too.
thomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 11:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

SIP please
yozh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

+1. I need SIP too on my TouchPad.
hirenpathak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sip, touchpad, voip

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0